N/A

Dynamic IP

Hello,

Is it possible to request a dynamic IP?

Thanks.
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Dynamic IP

For ADSL no, for 56K dialup, you already have one.

Dynamic IPs for ADSL are being considered by if or when this will happen is unknown.

Can I ask why you want a dynamic IP? If it's for security reasons today there is no real difference between dynamic & static as both can be traced by others or your tracks recorded.
N/A

Dynamic IP

I have been experiencing several denial of service attacks recently. I have no idea why people are targetting me at the moment. If I had a dynamic IP it would be easier to avoid them.
N/A

Dynamic IP

If you believe that these attacks are effecting your connection, you should raise a link:contact us ticket requesting that your IP address be changed. They should allow this if you explain the situation fully.
N/A

Dynamic IP

Well a simple ping of my hostmask will reveal my new IP so I don't think that will work.
N/A

Dynamic IP

Why do you feel your being targetted, how many hits are you getting on your router? are they plus net addy's?

Plus Net might be able to give you a new IP, but it can still be found as you already pointed out. However they could just be targetting the IP addy, and not you. So if you change it might stop the attacks.

Sadly Plus Net don't offer a dynamic IP address for ADSL connections at the moment.
N/A

Dynamic IP

My 3com router was reporting a connection every two to three seconds. I have received several dos attacks in the last month. Some off them knock out my connection completely but the last one only killed HTTP traffic.
N/A

Dynamic IP

I think your best bet, is to contact Plus Net direct, using the link, Chris provided.

Maybe a new IP and new rDNS might solve the issue.
N/A

Dynamic IP

Yep, if you changed your rDNS (hostmask) as well then your new IP would not be easy to find.
N/A

Dynamic IP

Welll the problem is i am a frequent user of IRC and connect to servers that do not scramble my hostmask so the new hostmask would become visible to anyone.
N/A

Dynamic IP

Well then there's not much can be done. My suggestion: unless these attacks are having detrimental effects on your connection, ignore them. If your firewall is blocking them, then they're harmless.
N/A

Dynamic IP

Chris, I think from earlier posts they are causing an effect to his connection.

Fluffy, I can only suggest you change your IP, rDNS and get a new nickname on IRC. Even if Plus Net did a dynamic IP for ADSL, which they don't, it would still be traceable though your rDNS, unless your rDNS changed as well.

However your own option is discuss the matter with Plus Net, and see what they suggest.
N/A

Dynamic IP

Well HTTP traffic is pretty important to me Smiley
N/A

Dynamic IP

If it causes your connection problems then it's important, but really you need to talk to Plus Net, as they are the only ones that have the power to do anything.
N/A

Dynamic IP

Can I just ask, if PN do intend to introduce dynamic IP, will those of us on ADSL be automatically transferred to it or will we retain the static IP's we have?

Personally I'd like to keep mine as it's extremely useful. I used to be on cable and it was a right bind having dynamic IPs.