cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic IP address on BB+?

N/A

I have recently migrated from Wanadoo where I had a dynamic IP address. I would basically be issued a new IP each time I logged in (i.e everytime I dropped the line). I seem to have had the same IP everytime I log in since migrating to plusnet(only 3 days). Is this normal, I was given to understand that premier had a static IP but plus didn't. Grateful if anyone knows what the norm for recycling IP adresses on plus is.

Cheers

Peter
10 REPLIES
N/A

Dave T who said a week or so ago that most of the BB + customers where as good as on static IP's due to the fact that many had their connections on 24/7 and the fact that they were nearly always allocated the same IP when they rebooted

I took this out of a thread that was running a week or so ago here http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30854

But i dont know why the same ip is allocated nearly every time
N/A

Dave T who said a week or so ago that most of the BB + customers where as good as on static IP's due to the fact that many had their connections on 24/7 and the fact that they were nearly always allocated the same IP when they rebooted

I took this out of a thread that was running a week or so ago here http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30854

But i dont know why the same ip is allocated nearly every time

OK thanks for that. I don't really like static because a lot of the banks etc recommend dynamic if possible. I guess I will just have to rely on my firewall etc to do their job. Thanks for the link Cheesy
N/A

All customers are issued with a static IP address, in some ways it makes no difference to having that or dynamic, you are just as vulnerable either way when it comes to hacking, so you do need a firewall for either one. There are many advantages of having a static, such as running a server etc.

If you do have a problem however with your static IP, and feel that your security has been compromised, you can request through a ticket to have a new number issued, however it must be a good reason.
Community Veteran

OK thanks for that. I don't really like static because a lot of the banks etc recommend dynamic if possible. I guess I will just have to rely on my firewall etc to do their job. Thanks for the link Cheesy

Which banks recommend dynamic? Could you post some links, as I would like to see their recommendations.

Personally I would like to be able to restrict access to my on-line banking, to only my static IP address.

Chilly
N/A

Indeed Chilly,

I have read this in a thread somewhere recently and I would love to see this advice from banks written somewhere, never mind speak to the person who wrote it.
N/A

I thought it was a little strange, but not knowledgeable to question it....

Reminds me of two friends on a Wanadoo ISP, BOTH had been advised by wanadoo that because they have their connection to them, dont need a firewall

N/A

Yeah, looks like my understanding was wrong on this Shockedops:

I have had a little look around and I can't see any official advice on this one way or another. I was either told by someone more savvy than myself that was the case or read it elsewhere. Seems I was misinformed. I don't want to go spreading false information so thought I should set the record straight. I had a good faith belief in what I posted earlier about static/dynamic IPs - a belief which seems unsubstantiated. ApologiesSmiley
N/A

no need to apologise mate, especially seeing as it sounds you were mis informed, no worries at all!
N/A

All customers are issued with a static IP address, .

Incorrect see comparisons in residential above!!

Customers on BB+ are given dynamic IP's

Premier are allocated static IP's

Smiley
N/A

wasnt sure which, so i generalised lol

OK I CHEATED heheh, I knew some were