cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dtmlinson please explain

N/A

Dtmlinson please explain

we have to look at our customer base as a whole rather than just certain people and certain types of usage.

This seems to be contradictory of your current policies, as soon as you seem to be targeting "certain people and certain types of usage" at the moment.

The exercise we did last month where we contacted customers whose usage was
above those unsustainable levels will be done again later this month.

Hmmm

Where we will ensure that exactly what is unsustainable is clear.

are we finaly going to get an answer on exactly how many gb can be downloaded from each account and at exactly what time of day ?

By encouraging off peak usage, in particular for high usage apps like P2P and Usenet we can achieve the goal of an efficiently utilise network .

You will never encourage anything if you wont tell you customers EXACTLY when and HOW MUCH (gb)
15 REPLIES
N/A

Dtmlinson please explain

Not only that but they seem to just leave the throttle on anyway........ This is not looking good.
N/A

Dtmlinson please explain

:? Interesting that the cap figures for downloads will be released at the end of the month, shouldn't the figure feature in the new t&c's, or at least be released (via email) to all customers prior to 23:59 15/09/2005. Would only seem fair.
Community Veteran

Dtmlinson please explain

I doubt we will get a figure - it will be the users that are unsustainable that will be told that their usage is in excess of the limits.

I seriouslt doubt that we will ever get a hard and fast figure.

I can see the reasons for this though. PlusNet are taking various steps to squueze all the efficiency out of the pipes tha they can - which means analysing the usage of those pipes at various times, and throttling/shping the various traffic as necessary at different times - i.e. P2P at peak time may be shaped slightly (or more) on premier, whereas in the middle of the night there may be no need for shaping.

So a user downloading 100GB at off peak times would be perfectly fine, but a user downloading 100GB a month all of which is at peak times, would be unsustainable, so an exact figure of what constitutes unsustainable is not likely to be settled upon.

Some ISPs obviously publish figures so people know exactly where they stand, but some of those people may be "clock watching" unnecessarily given the time of their usage.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Re: Dtmlinson please explain

This seems to be contradictory of your current policies, as soon as you seem to be targeting "certain people and certain types of usage" at the moment.

Seem to fit perfectly well together to me. Remember that those that were contacted fro unsustainable usage made up about 0.1% of the customer base. The accounts are designed with the remaining 99.9% in mind. One of the aims of the exercise we did last month and will continue to do each month will firstly be to ask customers to reduce usage so that they are within that 99.9% or if that's not possible to help them find an ISP that can support their usage requirements.

are we finaly going to get an answer on exactly how many gb can be downloaded from each account and at exactly what time of day ?

The intention is to ensure that it is clear what we mean. Remember the vast majority will be in no way affected with over 90% of our customers using less than 10GB per month.
N/A

Dtmlinson please explain

10GB a month on the vast majority of users, oh dear guess I am likely to end up as a heavy user, I have had the account for 2 days and already clocked up 4GB usage, admittedly 2GB of that is OS updates or images so I can install an OS on a machine, the large proportion of the rest has been gaming, now does this mean I am likely to become one of these unsustainable users. Bearing in mind this large download was done at 11am
Community Veteran

Dtmlinson please explain

So you have used 4% of what is considered unsustainable in approx 1/3 of the month. I don't think so ;-)
N/A

Dtmlinson please explain

You're statement doesn't make sense if it is directed at me, 4GB in 2 days is quite regular for me, especially when updated versions of the OS'es I am using come out or other things that i download, hence me upgrading to premier so I will actually be able to use my newsgroups. Actually depending on what gets released I can be downloading anywhere upto 50GB a week, but if you're statement isn't directed at me or is misworded then I don't understand
Alecto
Grafter

Dtmlinson please explain

2Gb a day, x 30 days per month = 60Gb a month, which is well below the 100Gb level for warning. I wouldn't worry.
N/A

Dtmlinson please explain

Ok, so it is a 100GB per month usage level ok, I may start having to be careful after november, new seasons start then, could get a little heavy, especially with gaming, will just keep an eye on the usage then
Community Veteran

Dtmlinson please explain

Sorry, i was taking the amount from the first of the month not over two days Shockedops:

at 4gb / 2 days that would be approx 60GB / month which would be fine.

however at 50GB / week if done consistently would be considered as unsustainable.

Please not as a further complication I am ignoring the peak times here, as further clarifaction maybe PN could publish rough ratios of what they would like to see in off peak for those who go over 100GB.
N/A

Dtmlinson please explain

FUP anyone? Personally I was all in favour.... nothing from 1am to 8am would count so you'd schedule your usage with usenet etc.

Now its just all chaos.
Community Veteran

Dtmlinson please explain

I was in favour, I am a generally light user although have been using mor of late, but nowhere near 30GB it would get me a free upgrade to 8MB.
N/A

Dtmlinson please explain

so with the FUP if you had heavy usage you got a free upgrade to a quicker connection?
Community Veteran

Dtmlinson please explain

with the fup pricing was based on usage, not speed, therefore light and heavy users got 8mb.