cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropped packets - big increase?

kjaerligkatt
Grafter

Over the past week I've been monitoring the number of packets being dropped by the PlusNet systems. Why? Well, primarily because there were many forum posts about very poor P2P download speeds - something I'd also seen.

It was evident that a) the network appeared very busy and b) the level of gold traffic packets being dropped seemed unusually high.

Over the weekend dropped bronze traffic increased significantly - visually from the graphs it looked to be 50% up!!! This trend seems to have continued into today, and more gold traffic seems to be being dropped also - well, from the graphs it seems this way. The strange thing is, the table at the bottom suggests that no gold traffic is being dropped, although it is clearly visible on the graph.

Last week bronze traffic packet loss was peaking at just under 14k/s, average just under 6k/s. Gold was around 400/s max and 22/s peak. Today bronze is reporting an average of 8k/s and peak of nearly 19k/s - a huge increase. Gold is claming zero peak and average, which cannot be right since there is dropped gold traffic on the graph.

There does appear to be a network capacity/traffic management problem at the moment, and there is some recognition of this in way of the service status regarding P2P. This doesn't, however, account for the gold traffic being lost.

Does anyone from the comms team have an explanation of what is happening?

Regards, Neil
7 REPLIES
N/A

Hi Neil.

We have raised this and one or two other relevant / connected issues via the UserGroup.

Hopefully we can provide some information soon.
Community Veteran

It could be just a coincidence, and so not related, BUT this all started happening after the power outage at Telehouse ... :?

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

We have raised this and one or two other relevant / connected issues via the UserGroup.

Thanks Mark,

Neil
N/A

From the looks of things, the speed drop seems to be related to encrypted p2p traffic. Encrypted traffic is currently not recognised properly, so p2p is getting much more bandwidth than it should and therefore slowing down other network services.

An update next week to the traffic management servers will hopefully identify this encrypted traffic and restore things to normal (or so they say, anyway Smiley )
N/A

ahmm

Encrypted traffic is currently not recognised properly, so p2p is getting much more bandwidth than it should and therefore slowing down other network services.

if that was the case my torrents should be running faster than they are but they are dog slow.

methinks the the managment platform was rebuilt/config'd incorrectly since the power outage.
N/A

people who try and flout the system by encrypting their P2P should be booted, tarred and feathered.
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

;-)

Yep, many of the problems ISPs are experiencing with bandwidth is due to, IMHO, unreasonable P2P usage. The system Plusnet have implemented is, for me, fair and quite generous. Sure, if you want to download GB of 'data' from torrents during peak times, then you're not going to agree.

I'm happy to leave anything I need from a torrent to finish when it finishes, but want responsive and reliable browsing, VOIP and streaming. Hence why I like the PN infrastructure, where P2P is relegated to the lowest priority, and what bandwidth is left over.

Encryption of P2P to bypass this infrastructure is, therefore, and my very humble, and probably unpopular, opinion - theft of my gold and higher bandwidth :shock:

Neil