Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop in speed from 6MB to 2MB after Tiscali fixed fault

glocal
Grafter

Question ID: 20365101

BT offered me a stable 6MB connection for months, then
Tiscali took over and the speed remained the same until very recently when the fault occurred. Then Tiscali 'fixed' the fault and my speed now is 2MB. PN's Bob Pullen suggested in this PN discussion forum:

'I'm pretty sure this is going to be a line fault. Once our wholesalers have got to the bottom of that you should see a return to the speeds you were once used to.'

This 'guess' made sense because I don't see why my line would suddenly go bad overnight. Certainly, my house didn't move away from the exchange. If anything, the speed should get better with those successive upgrades by the telcos. To me it looks like Tiscali fixed the fault and brought the speed up to what is just about acceptable and couldn't be bothered with tweaking things further.

Since both PN and Tiscali are clearly reluctant to do anything about this, I am thinking of going back to BT (free of charge) -- Question ID: 20365101. There are no guarantees of course but I can't imagine anyone (even BT) handling this worse than that -- I hope. Do you think it is likely at all speed will go back to 6MB? After months of a 6MB connection, 2MB in zone 2 in London is just not on.

TIA

Michael
8 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

What do your stats show?
glocal
Grafter

I am not sure how I can find my stats. The router doesn't seem to report anything relevant to line quality. Any hints please?

Michael
shellsong
Grafter

What router have you got? For quite a few you can get the relevent info for finding your stats at http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm otherwise say what you've got and we might be able to help

The most useful stats are up and downstream synch rates, attenuation and SNR (or Margin)
glocal
Grafter

It is an Efficient 5861, not listed on the webpage you mentioned. The only line stats I can see are 'DOWN 2304Kb/s : UP 250Kb/s'. I tried everything from CLI to web interface but no sign of other stats.

Michael
N/A

thats one of the old hot as hell sets fire to its own PWR supply caps boxes, i do hope you have the 2nd gen.

had 4 of those boxes go up in smoke at client's offices, its what BT used to supply not bad devices, if you strip out the Bt firmware and put something decent on it.
shellsong
Grafter

I've had a fascinating time searching through a hundred pages of manual at http://www.farina1.com/5861/techrefguide.pdf but in spite of it being packed with all sorts of features I've been unable to find out whether it's capable of showing any attenuation or SNR figures-- maybe that's why the manufacturers website has disappeared! :?
Highlighted
glocal
Grafter

yes, that's the one Smiley New firmware installed from day 1 and new bulletproof power supply fitted when the original one was toasted!

I know about farina1.com. I checked all manuals and all tools that come with it. No mention of additional stats. And it's supposed to be a pro router -- well, it was in its time anyway. Does this mean I'll have to go back to BT and pray?
shellsong
Grafter

Well I think I've run out of ideas anyway, I'm afraid! :?