cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading

N/A

Downloading

I was just wondering if force 9 has cut down on p2p users. I know tiscali 2mb has, it's just that my download speeds are light years below what they should be.
6 REPLIES
N/A

Downloading

I think you will find it is the traffic shaping that has been put into effect. Lots of complaints on the +Net newsgroup about slow p2p speeds.

Regards

Mark
N/A

Downloading

Thanks,
Do the download speeds by any chance increase at off peak times and late at night?
N/A

Downloading

I have just cleared my cache of plusnet postings but I seem to recall something about 40bps?? Does that sound right? I have also seen some people posting that speeds do not increase overnight and that they are getting extremely miffed about it. If I can find it again, I will post the info.

Mark
N/A

Downloading

superstan, can you just confirm that you are paying for Broadband Plus? (as opposed to Broadband Premier or PAYG).
N/A

Downloading

I've noticed my p2p traffic is real slow during day 24-40kbps then during the night lifts to 80-110kbps.
N/A

Downloading

I recently read the new terms and conditions and this may be of some help in answering this topic:

The terms and conditions say that broadband plus is not meant for P2P at all. It also says there is some traffic shaping to some extent on all packages. Quoted below:

"6.3.2 Broadband Plus is not designed to sustain prolonged high-bandwidth, heavy-usage applications such as continuous Peer-to-Peer (P2P) file sharing"

6.3.3 Broadband Plus is designed to ensure that Customers using the package as intended receive the optimum experience. High-bandwidth use, as outlined above, is therefore not recommended. Where the Service has been deemed to have been used inappropriately or to the detriment of the overall Service, Force9 reserves the right to take action against the account in question.

Another interesting point is that anyone who does use P2P through their F9 connection is in fact most likely in breach of the acceptable use terms and conditions of their connection as "most" P2P users generally are downloading software/video (films) or music files in breach of copyright. See quoted T+Cs below. I wonder how long it will be before ISPs are made to block P2P altogether?

"14.1.2 to send, knowingly receive, upload, download or use any material which is or may be offensive, abusive, indecent, defamatory, obscene or menacing, or in breach of any Intellectual Property Right, confidence, privacy or any other rights;

"Intellectual Property Right" includes patents, inventions, know-how, trade secrets and other confidential information, registered designs, copyright, ......"