cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download rate stuck at 512 kbps.

flangeniblic
Dabbler

My modem dialog box says it is connected for downstream at 5472 kbps, but it stubbornly refuses to download at any rate higher than 512 kbps. Multiple downloads have to share this 512 kbps rate. This just happened suddenly overnight, as it was downloading at the higher speed okay for the past month. None of the hardware or software has been changed in that time, so I was wondering just what is going on?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

What does the Stable Rate Page say? If this is 512 or 500 then that is what is limiting your speed which is what BT have told PN they will allow on your line.

The low or constantly changing stable or data rate issue appears to be very common with Max and often happens when your sync rate suddenly drops very low and it only takes one instance of this for BT to lower your data rate. It may increase after 3 days but if not, all you can do is raise a fault question and get it investigated.
passer
Grafter

If the change was very sudden, you may have exceeded your limits and your account is being managed. You can check the limits for whatever account you have on this page:

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/res_broadband_faq.shtml
Community Veteran

... it only takes one instance of this for BT to lower your data rate. It may increase after 3 days but if not, all you can do is raise a fault question and get it investigated.

The new 'blip logic' should mean that a one off low sync event, will not cause a change if the line has been stable for the last 14 days.

Otherwise, as Peter states you will have to wait 3 days for BT to tell PN your line is stable at a faster speed.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed