cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download problem - could somebody please try...

crimsone
Grafter

Hi - I don't want to complain and say that this on is a PN or BT fault for the momnet, but I need to know what's going on...

I'm trying to download the Shockwave player from Adobe using firefox, and I'm getting a rather suprising 0.8 KB/s on a 2.5 meg file.

could somebody please be kind enough to pop along to http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/ with Firefox, download the file, and tell me what happens?
13 REPLIES
N/A

Yeah, mine is the same. I had this problem trying to download flash player for FF2 as well. I had to end up downloading the file at work and emailing it home...

Not sure why though?
N/A

> 200 KB/s. Not on plusnet.
N/A

Yup..it started at0.8KB/s here as well, having said that..its not downloading it at all.

noticed a file last night i downloaded from Badongo stopped at about 2/3rds of the way through, then finished off in a slow,short,bursty fashion. I've not seen this before. Usually files i grab from Badongo are full speed and consistent.
Community Veteran

I have seen a few other threads with the same comment about downloading adobe's flash, and suffered a very slow download myself.

It looks like adobe do not have sufficient bandwidth from their servers, to cope with demand at a respectable speed.

Chilly
Community Veteran

i had this too (see those other threads) but found it on http://www.filehippo.com/ from where it comes down nice and quickly
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Just replied to a similar question on Usenet, I've noticed a few reports of the Flash player being slow to download from several people in recent weeks, not just PlusNet customer but across a few ISPs and different countries so I suspect the problem lies with Adobe or their upstream suppliers. May be worth contacting them to see if they are aware.
Community Veteran

did so and had no response :roll:
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Just downloaded at full speed (300kBps) using Firefox 2
crimsone
Grafter

Ok, Thanks everyone. Your help is much appreciated. In all fairness, this one certainly sounds like an issue at Adobe.

Just a suggestion, but might it be possible for PN to help us out be grabbing the re-distributables and hosting them for us for a while in the hope that adobe sorts themselves out? I understand if not, but I'm kinda hoping that there won't be a huge rush to download them on the basis that most people that want the flash and shockwave players already have them up to date.
Community Veteran

Is this the first major upgrade since Adobe took over Macromedia?

Maybe the popularity took them by surprise, which could also be driven by the poplar video sites which require the lasted version of flash driving up demand.

Or it could be a case that Adobe is happy for the free Flash upgrades, to take aback seat to more profitable downloads that they supply.

Chilly
crimsone
Grafter

I have absolutely no idea. lol

To be honest, the only reason I'm trying to update us because each time I try to play a game using shockwave or director it crashes out after a few secs of gameplay.

Unfortunately, because this windows install is now two years old and has received some pretty heavy duty usage almost every day since it was installed, finding the cause of the problem is none too easy... That's something for one of the other forums though. lol
crimsone
Grafter

Just thought to add the filehippo downloiad links to theis post, should anybody need them...

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/

http://www.filehippo.com/download_shockwave/
crimsone
Grafter

And just to finish up, my problem with flash et all is now solved - though it took me long enough.

I needed to upgrade my nforce audio drivers - how obscure a solution can you get? lol