cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download and Upload Speeds on MaxDSL (broken version)

IanD
Grafter

I'm getting 128kbps as my download speed on MaxDSL, but can achieve 384kbps upload speed. Does this make any sense as I'd have thought both speeds would be low if there was a problem with BT.

Supposed to be 1500kbps or better and for a while I was achieving this before I dropped down to ISDN speeds.

If the higher upload speed would prove that BT need to make a change to my line I'd like to be able to pass that info on to see if it can be actioned. At present I'm still in the "connect directly to your master socket" phase of getting the fault resolved. A bit hard since we don't have one. :?
4 REPLIES
N/A

I don't know if the upload speed is affected by the Ellacoyas, but that download speed of 128 kbps sounds a little bit too suspicious for being a BT limit...

Seems to me like it is being forced down using the Ellacoya units ... ie you may have been classed as exceeding the traffic limit, and therefore during peak hours - your comment was made between 1600 and 0000 - so you might be affected... From the page on management

(1) Peak-time usage within a billing month
(2) Speed of P2P, Usenet, file transfer applications
(3) Speed of other Internet activites

(1) (2) (3)
Up to 10GB Up to line speed* Up to line speed*
10 - 12.5GB Up to 256Kbps Up to 2Mbps
12.5 - 15GB Up to 128Kbps Up to 1Mbps
15GB+ Blocked Up to 512Kbps

I'm just guessing you are on a Premier 1 account.... the 128 kbps limit is in there....
N/A

If you have no "master socket", then hopefully you have some figures from your ADSL kit to show your attenuation and SNR details... It might be possible to have very poor download speed as a result of a fault / noise without affecting the upload speed, I suppose, but I'm not a comms engineer with experience of messing about with BT lines (fortunately), so cannot offer further suggestions on that line....
IanD
Grafter

Well within the limits so shouldn't be a PlusNet speed. Doesn't matter if it is the beggining or end of the payment period, or what time of day it is, I still enjoy the delights of ISDN speed.

Router I have doesn't provide any attenuation or SNR (or any details at all) so I can't tell what is happening now. However everything was working fine initially on MaxDSL until it decided to drop to 128k.

Router is a Buffalo WMR-HP-G54. If anyone knows a way of getting info from it I'd like to know. Buffalo themselves don't so I wouldn't recommend Buffalo products.

Strange how Max initially worked OK then virtually ground to a halt.
IanD
Grafter

I've had feedback from PlusNet saying that the router has synched at 190kbps. I don't know what BT have done with the MaxDSL upgrade, but I'm none the wiser with the lack of information from PlusNet.

Are there any BT engineers out there who can shed some light on what "allegedly" may be the problem?