cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download Speeds

N/A

Download Speeds

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but I'm new to all this Broadband Malarky. :roll:

Anyhow, I've been doing some downloads from Limewire, but cannot reach any speeds above 12kb/s.
Is this normal?

When downloading froma legitimate software sites, my speeds increase to 100+ kb/s
10 REPLIES
N/A

Download Speeds

What Account are you on?

BB+ is rather restricted with P2P
Permier 2mbit should be ok up to the first 20GB of p2p/ftp/usenet traffic
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Download Speeds

Hi,

Which type of account are you on? If it's Broadband Plus then the speeds you are seeing are normal because Broadband Plus isn't designed with P2P downloads like Limewire in mind. Between 8am and midnight the priority of P2P and binary Usenet downloads is lower on Broadband Plus. If you want to use apps like this then we'd recommend using them overnight between midnigt and 8am because we allocate more bandwidth to P2P so you should see more speeds. Alternatively, if you want to use it during the day you may want to look at either Premier or PAYG.
N/A

Download Speeds

I'm on BB+ and will start to download during the night as opposed to peak hours.
What download speeds can be reached during the night?
N/A

Download Speeds

Welcome to the boards.

As srae88 has said it does depend a lot on the account type you have.

If you are on Premier why not do a couple of speed tests

Via;

Plusnet speed test
ADSL Guide speedtest
BT Speed test

If the bt speed test comes back as normal but the adslguide doesnt then you are being throttled ( managed ).
( This applies to the Premier account )

Regards,

[EDITED TO CORRECT USERS NAME]
N/A

Download Speeds

scrae88
- :roll:
N/A

Download Speeds

srae88,

Im sorry mate, ive corrected the mistake lol. I was sat on the settee at the time with my son kicking me and sorts which is why my response appears so far behind others lol.
N/A

Download Speeds

I am on Broadband Premiere and my P2P speeds very rarely go over 10kb/s. My average usage is around 12GB a month so not high and I have only ever once gone over 20GB since joining last June.

Compared to the AOL connection I used to have I find it very poor.
N/A

Download Speeds

Welcome to the boards.

If you are on Premier why not do a couple of speed tests

What if your speedtests are the other way round, and there are no reported exchange issues?

i.e ADSL guide n +net tests = good
BT test = dire

I'm on Premier.
N/A

Download Speeds

i.e ADSL guide n +net tests = good
BT test = dire

That would be very odd to say the least, if I had to guess I would say it sounds like the BT Speedtest server itself was busy at the time you ran the test, I would try again a few more times later and see if the results change.
N/A

Download Speeds

Hi,

I've tried it 3 times on 3 different days, same result, always ~60KB/s on the BT speed checker, and any other speed checker maxxed out the line :s