cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrading from 2Mb to 1Mb costs £14.99?

N/A

I'm on the 4Mb Premier product but my line quality can barely cope with 2Mb (downstream SNR of 9 - 10 dB).

This weekend the downstream SNR dropped to 3 dB and I couldn't sustain a connection so I phoned support tomight to move me to the 2Mb Premier and retrain (I think that's the term) my connection to only 1Mb.

Moving to the 2Mb Premier is no problem, but the guy tells me it'll be a £14.99 charge to force my connection to 1Mb.

You've got to be joking? It costs money to connect to a SLOWER service? Evil

Can anyone clear this up for me? Should it cost to go slower?

Thanks
Steven Dick
13 REPLIES
craigbrass
Grafter

It costs to go up and down speed wise. It's what BT charge PlusNet.
N/A

Yup.. change of speed, either up or down will cost you the same. PlusNet are just passing on the cost.

Maybe you could argue that they should have confirmed that your line was capable of 4Mbs before they connected you to it? I thought the line was checked anyway.
Phantom_Flan_Fl
Grafter

As far as I know the downgrade will only be free if BT say your line is uncapable of supporting the higher speed.

Of course if they find nothing wrong, they could then bill you for the check.
N/A

I'd argue that given the line stats in my first message, my line can't cope with 2Mb, never mind the 4Mb service.
N/A

Steven,

Not being patronising I hope...

Have you checked your filters and line etc? A few months ago my router kept ditching the 1meg link (the snr dropped significantly) - swapped the filter and back to stable link with good snr.
N/A

It has been suggested to me to use a different filter, but that it may only potentially improve the SNR, not the line attenuation (which is 55dB downstream; closer to the 1Mb limit suggested by BT).

I have been asking if replacing the faceplate with an integrated filter would help, but I haven't received a reply.

How would I check the line? Is this something I have to ask BT to do? Since I don't have a fault, would they charge me to check the line?

I'm open to any suggestion to improve either the speed or reliability of my line.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Replacing the face plate may help with the problems you are seeing. I'd suggest first though that you have a read through the following to see if anything helps

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/10

and

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

If not then before you pay to downgrade I'd suggest to raise a fault because there might be something on the line that can be fixed. Also if BT Wholesale can't fix the problem and find the line to be out of limits for 2Mbps they would downgrade your speed without charge (although the whole process can take several weeks).
Phantom_Flan_Fl
Grafter

Also if BT Wholesale can't fix the problem and find the line to be out of limits for 2Mbps they would downgrade your speed without charge (although the whole process can take several weeks).

Just over 4 weeks in my case.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Unfortunately the number of faults with BT Wholesale from all ISP's is at a very high level at the moment, and cases that are referred to their High Level Complaints team who deal with long line faults are unlikely to be turned around in less than 3 weeks from being passed to HLC.
Phantom_Flan_Fl
Grafter

and cases that are referred to their High Level Complaints team who deal with long line faults are unlikely to be turned around in less than 3 weeks from being passed to HLC.

Took just under 4 weeks to get the the HLC, but when it did my problem was resolved in 6 days. Guess I was just lucky.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I'm not sure what work HLC have to do, other than decide to reroute or downgrade the line, so it's possible that some of what they need to do had already been done in the 4 weeks.
N/A

Had a few customers with blown phoneline surge protectors with the recent storms. Makes the snr & att look awful. You can try disconnecting everything and make sure the router/modem is plugged in the main phone socket with no other extensions/splitters/surge protectors etc inbetween.

As for the charge, dont think upgrade or downgrade, think "regrade". Dosent matter which way your going it still takes someone at BT to click a button Smiley Consumer broadband services are costed mainly on data usage rather than speed now anyway, a 2mbit line is the same hardware as a 256kbit line, its just the software settings determining the speed you see.
N/A

Even if all the tests that BT and PN have done suggest that you should be able to receive a certain speed, it seems that its still not a certainty.
Everything appeared fine on my line, however when BT called to check it out the other day, they found that my line was suffering high loss intermittently.
He toodled off to the exchange and moved me to a spare line, and everything is all good. (no light was shed on why there was an intermittent fault on my line, but then its not my problem any more Smiley)
Trying to find a program that will measure line loss for a home user, but you could call up and ask for a whoosh test. (If you could do it yourself, you could try it at different times etc, rather than calling up)
A couple more details here
http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/12