cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrade charges?

N/A

Downgrade charges?

Based on my usage, it makes sense for me to move from Broadband Premier to broadband plus. I understand this attracts a one-off charge of £14.99. Would this move affect my contract period (I'm on monthly notice) or referrals discount I currently get?
10 REPLIES
N/A

Downgrade charges?

Referrals values will be unaffected for you.

Since the referrals value for both types of account are £0.50 then if somebody referred you, their income will also be unaffected.

Notice periods will also be unaffected: The only accounts which currently have a notice period of greater than one month, is business and homeworker accounts. These have a 12mths initial contract, switching to 30days once the 12mths has passed.

Any fee's you have on your account on a deferred basis will continue to reduce based upon the time they were added to your account.

In summation - go ahead, nothing should change, except for your package.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Downgrade charges?

Yep as James has said, it doesn't affect your contract or referrals at all - just your bank balance to the tune of £15 for them to press a button. I did this about 9 months ago.

When I did it, I don't think it becomes effective until your next billing date (or it didn't for me anyway) and of course you lose the stuff you don't get on Plus such as a static IP and the webspace drops from 250Mb to 100Mb.

If you've got stuff on your webspace, make sure it doesn't exceed 100Mb, as the limit drop can mean you're over the new lower limit (like I was) and apparently PlusNet reserve the right to delete your webspace if it's over. I didn't realise this until I checked my disk usage stats.
N/A

Thanks

Thanks for that, nice and clear.
I'll go ahead.
N/A

Failed...

Tried to use the help assistant to upgrade, and it failed. I aparrently 'it says' need not only a direct debit (already set up), but one, and possibly two credit/debit cards! And refused to upgrade me.

No chance, the direct debit should do the business, surely - and it does say pay be either credit/debit card or direct debit.

Not funny, as the renewal is due tomorrow!
N/A

Downgrade charges?

For whatever reason, PN are only able to collect a fixed amount via DD. (A limitation in their software no doubt.) Thus any 'extra' or 'out of the ordinary' payments have to be taken by Credit/Debit Card.

If this month's payment is due tomorrow, you are too late anyhow methinks, IIRC Direct Debits are submitted to the bank for collection a few days in advance of the actual monies being transeferred.

If you don't have a Credit/Debit Card, PN will be happy to take a cheque, raise a ticket (Question) and explain you want to change your account to BBPlus and ask for details for sending a cheque.

Naturally, the only fee they are after from your card is the £14.99 fee, subscriptions will continue to be taken via DD (which mysteriously they are able to change to reflect the new amount)

Also, if you prefer not have your card details registered against your account, you may either enter them for the purpose of this payment, then raise a ticket (question) requesting their removal (PN will be happy to oblige), alternatively, you can call them up and make the payment over the 'phone (be prepared for a wait)
It may also be possible, if you want to pay via card, to raise a ticket requesting the account type change, and make a note that you want them to call you (give them a few timeslots of an hour or two) to allow you to make a one off payment.
N/A

Thanks Again...

I tried calling them, but gave up after waiting for ages. I think I've arranged the change...

Who knows if it will work or notSmiley

Thanks for the pointers.
N/A

Downgrade charges?

For whatever reason, PN are only able to collect a fixed amount via DD. (A limitation in their software no doubt.) Thus any 'extra' or 'out of the ordinary' payments have to be taken by Credit/Debit Card

PN take additional payments for bandwidth and wifi access by DD so the system can handle extra payments.
Community Veteran

Downgrade charges?

They are pre-arranged and continuing payments at that value and are expected to be collected each month from that point on.

What PN can't do is add one-off payments like a downgrade charge to one months DD amount then revert the DD amount to the previous or new (in the case of a downgrade) monthly payment. This is a restriction on the payment system, not on DD payments themselves.
N/A

Downgrade charges?

Wifi payments are PAYG so the monthly sum is different each month so if PN system can cope with this then why not extra monthly payments?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Downgrade charges?

What PN can't do is add one-off payments like a downgrade charge to one months DD amount then revert the DD amount to the previous or new (in the case of a downgrade) monthly payment.

Won't me thinks...

I've had one-off payments taken by companies before (e.g. upgrading a mobile by Vodafone outside of the billing month), so I fail to see why PlusNet are any different.

I suspect it has something to do with the fact DD payments have to be requested a couple of working days before they come out (and therefore guaranteed) where CC payments once authorised via the Auth Code are near immediately guaranteed, so their billing system can't (or rather they don't wish their billing system to be able to) cope with one-off DD payments.