cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrade and refund?

thePhoolish
Grafter

Downgrade and refund?

Well, it looks like my blisteringly fast 13kbs broadband isn't going to be fixed anytime soon

sooooo,

If I downgrade to PAYG, will +net refund the difference on my account (I pay annually)
10 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

Downgrade and refund?

Hi,

When you downgrade your invoice date is adjusted to cover the difference between the two accounts.

However, looking at your account (and specifically the IP profile you are assigned) and this indicates that the problem is not related to your account type, but to your line itself.
thePhoolish
Grafter

Downgrade and refund?

And if I leave, is the amount refunded?

Thing is, I've had Broadband with +net since 2002 with no problems what so ever, now it's running like a dog, so I raise a ticket, go through the all the steps, BT say they fixed a fault at their end, still no luck, so I ask for it changed back to fixed rate, to which the response is.. "fault is closed - please reraise" Why was it closed when the fault hasn't been fixed?? ..and so I go to raise another fault and I'm told a fault is already open!
Mand
Grafter

Downgrade and refund?

Hi

That comment was an internal note, meaning that BT had closed the original fault believing it to be resolved.

The fault will be reraised and escalated by our internal faults team, and a further update provided ASAP.

In terms of cancelling, depending on contractual obligations etc, we would refund any unused subscription outside the 30 day notice period. Although if the problem is on your line this is likely to move with you.
Community Veteran

Downgrade and refund?

Just a thought, but that procedure seems completely bizzare.

Surely it would be less of an overhead for BT to request the ISP confirm a fault is resolved and close accordingly.

Simply assuming that they have fixed it and requesting another fault be raised if it isnt, is just a massive admin overhead, effectively doing the job twice, and no doubt losing all the historical notes on the fault that could assist people in resolving it.

A good way of BT keeping the "open time" down on faults though, not that they would want to give a false impression of their workload or anything. 100s of faults open for a very short length of time makes BT look a whole lot better than 50 faults that havent been resolved in months.
thePhoolish
Grafter

Downgrade and refund?

Ah, that explains it then, thanks.

I also read that some people with the same router (Netgear DG814) have had problems, does anyone know of any issues with this router and Max?
thePhoolish
Grafter

Downgrade and refund?

Just a thought, but that procedure seems completely bizzare.

Now you know why I was in semi-rant mode!
Close an unresolved issue and request a new one to be raised.. ah.. efficiency!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Downgrade and refund?

Simply assuming that they have fixed it and requesting another fault be raised if it isnt, is just a massive admin overhead, effectively doing the job twice, and no doubt losing all the historical notes on the fault that could assist people in resolving it.

The way BT work with faults is when they believe a fault is resolved or where they don't believe there is a fault they will return the fault to the ISP with a status of "clear". The ISP then can then do one of two things, reject the clear, i.e. send the fault back to BT saying it isn't fixed and why or close the fault because it is fixed. If there's no reply within 5 days then the fault is automatically closed.

Should the fault then re-occur or there be a delay in the customer letting is know that it wasn't fixed then a new fault needs to be raised.
sinewave
Grafter

Downgrade and refund?

Ah, that explains it then, thanks.

I also read that some people with the same router (Netgear DG814) have had problems, does anyone know of any issues with this router and Max?

There are no issues as such with this router and Max. It is perfectly compatible. I replaced my dg814 for these reasons:

a) It has no ability to provide line stats or other useful diagnostic information. Such info is ~very~ useful with the flakey nature of DSLmax!
b) the router is now obsolete and no longer updated by netgear. Nothing in the firmware will have been written with todays issues in mind. Not ideal.
c) When I had the chance to compare it to a speedtouch 580 router I found it to be slower for internal network speed (not by much and it wasn't a "problem" but, well, ya know)
d) I found the DG814 ~always~ synced slower than the speedtouch demonstrating that there ~is~ a difference between different makes.
e) although reliable, it didn't seem to be as reliable as it used to be with increasing numbers of re-syncs and the odd crash

I found it hard to justify buying a new router but I did anyway. I bought a Zyxel p660HW and have found it more stable, and I now get much higher sync speeds (about 1Mb increase on average).
Community Veteran

Downgrade and refund?

I never thought for a minute BT would make the process easy Dave. :lol:

I thought they were simply closing them as fixed, because "BT know best and cant possibly be wrong". If they are allowing ISPs to bat them back when they do make mistakes, then at least thats something.

Stevecousins, whats the issue? Maybe someone on the forum has had something similar and knows what does the trick to get it fixed?

Is it just very very low speeds? I had this once - 13kilobit connection - about 2 kbytes/s. Its resulted in an engineer visit, but the problem suddenly went away when about 10 mins before the engineer arrived.

This was also verified by BT speed tests conducted without the use of PN's network. Something clearly amiss at the exchange or cabinet - but I never did find out the answer.
thePhoolish
Grafter

Downgrade and refund?

I'm getting the lend of a BT speedtouch 3300 to see if it's any better.

The problem I'm having is speed, I'm getting 9-13kbps download rate and it's annoying to be paying £22 a month for something that's not much better than narrowband.

My sync rate jumps from 1800 to 190 and I've tried nearly everthing to find out why.I've unplugged all equipment that might cause interference, bought new filters and now I'm trying a different modem.