cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't listen, then.

N/A

Don't listen, then.

I've requested my MAC key, along with the rest of my little plusnet community. Got the standard ' stay and get a free month' response. Tempted though I was to screw a free month, I'd really rather have broadband rather than the piss poor slower than ISDN performance from plusnet.

I regret recommending plusnet to my friends - I got this response from one just now when I asked if performance had improved..

"Ha - I'm trying to download a 258k update from www.hp.com - (HP 2575 printer software) (9 hours 4 minutes remaining at 7 to 8 k). Mark across the road downloaded it in around 20 minutes, burned it to a cd and exchanged it for a tinnie courtesy of demon.. When he started I had 10 hours 11 minutes to go (an hour and 5 minutes ago).

Plusnet crawls, demon performs properly. Odd, seeing it is 'The Exchange'"

What can I say?
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Re: Don't listen, then.

Plusnet crawls, demon performs properly. Odd, seeing it is 'The Exchange'"

What can I say?

Yes but it is PlusNet that update the exhange details manually. It was their excuse to me too - Apparently my local exchange is unable to cope with the traffic - Despite the fact we have a ISP company based locally. Obviously there isn't a problem otherwise we wouldn't have an ISP here eh?!

Good luck with the next ISP!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
N/A

Don't listen, then.

I regret recommending PlusNet to my friends too. One has already left, another has requested their Mac code, and two others are so fed up with PlusNet that they want to leave too.

A year ago I can't believe I would have said that. Even six months ago I'd not have said that I regret recommending PlusNet, but now I really don't think I can personally recommend PlusNet for anything...
N/A

Don't listen, then.

UKDSL,

That, pretty much, is the way I feel. 3 or 4 months ago, plusnet was excellent.

How things change! I'd prefer to avoid the hassle of changing ISPs, but I don't have the confidence that the "new improved" plusnet cares at all about anything but short term revenue.
Community Veteran

Re: Don't listen, then.

Yes but it is PlusNet that update the exhange details manually.

PlusNet are not responsible for the exchange checker (if that was what you were refering to), PUG are responsible for updaing the exchange statuses manually from BTs infrequent updates.

Apparently my local exchange is unable to cope with the traffic - Despite the fact we have a ISP company based locally. Obviously there isn't a problem otherwise we wouldn't have an ISP here eh?!

I'm not sure what having an ISP in the same town/city as an exchange has anything to do with the capacity or capability of the exchange. An ISP can be based anywhere in the country, in fact anywhere in the world. The ISP does not connect directly to the exchange. You connect to BT who in turn route your ADSL connection over their local network through Docklands (in London) through BT Central Pipes to the ISP. The ISP has no connection to any exchanges anywhere (except for their own ADSL connections which actually take exactly the same route as your connection does).

You might want to read up on how ADSL works on Kitz's excellent website here.