cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't blame the individual

N/A

This is a constant theme on these Forums when someone has a problem. It is all very well but who do you complain to.

The elders amongst us may remember the change to natural gas. After I had been changed over from "town" gas my boiler failed to work. It did not matter how many times I contacted the help desk I was continually fobbed off. In the end I phoned and gave the "poor innocent girl" a round of the damns. "I only work here." was the standard reply. My answer was I don't care I will phone at least every hour and make life very unpleasant. Suprise suprise the supervisor phoned me. Same response from me. Next the manager phoned, same response. Next thing I had a vistit, in quick succession, from 7 engineers, each responding to my previous calls. Problem fixed.
What do you do if the only people available are hard working innocents?
8 REPLIES
N/A

The Ability to respond (re-spond-ability?) Ivan

Hi towill,
I think you know the answer already, you've answered your own question I think? :lol:

**Its called the British disease in case you didnt know, its called pass the buck. People in our culture are not taught from an early age to take responsability for themselves or there actions. We live in a blame culture?

You have my sympathies though I can relate to your feelings of exasperation.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
N/A

You forgot to add the answer is make yourself a nuisance.
channel
Grafter

Just out of interest, what did they do when they solved your natural gas/town gas problem? Did they hook you up to a different gas pipe or did they replace your boiler?
N/A

I agree. Shocked After my saga at getting my connection up and running, its a real pain having to phone and chase all the time, not to mention the cost involved..... Plus its not personally the person on the end of the phone's fault we have issues. I feel its unfair to let rip at them, but it seems at times its the only way to get any action.....
Perhaps a small group, so you get 24/7 cover, should be assigned each ticket and its then up to them to chase up to resolution keeping the EU informed along the way.....
I work in a similar environment all be it in manufacturing, where we get calls of customers asking status of their work and we go out of our way to chase and keep the customer informed as to whats going on.
To be honest if a customer get snotty with me them i take longer than if they are just plain polite.
N/A

What Do You Expect,Ivan

Hi,

In this discussion nobody has mentioned the point, which is isnt it about WHAT WE expect? (our expectation's). And what is reasonable or what is unreasonable as a customer receiving service or an employee helping to providing the service. Where or when do we draw the line, and have to then take action.

I think we quick to forget that employee/person providing a service (or goods) might feel equally frustrated or angry or annoyed with their own company or management for the stupidity of company rules & regulations (rule for rules sake, beaurocrasy,red tape etc).

**Sadly, I find its an increasingly common experience that in the end I end up loosing my rag & get exstremely angry & assertive just to get what should have been provided in the first place (had promises been kept) or goods received on time.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
N/A

Being nice or nasty, one just has to keep at people to get things done.

Sometimes good to be polite, but sometimes one has to be more agressive, sadly.
N/A

Channel asked
Just out of interest, what did they do when they solved your natural gas/town gas problem?

It was quite amusing actually, they did not fix it quickly, but that was fine by me all I wanted is some action. In the end they called in the boiler manufacturer, it turned out that the installer had made a small mistake. they put that right and boom boom, well not actually, but no more problems.

As was said expectations are the problem. Talking of which I have had a problem with my modem card, just fixed it today. In order to test I connected to PlusNet via dial up, wow slowwww. How dare I chafe at the bit because 2Mb is not here yet! Shockedops:
Metalguru
Grafter

I think making yerself a "Pain In The A**" often can work to your benefit.
And you can do this without being rude.

Here's one of my best examples:-

Every year, for several years, I use to get the the standard "tax return letter / form" to complete and send back to them.

I had (and still have) one (long term) job for a large public authority , no other income and my tax was deducted at source. I was a typical dad, with partner and two kids and a mortgage. MIRAS had shrunk to zilch.

The filling-in of the form was the same every year, an absolute waste of my time and theirs.

I never got any rebate from them, and they never asked me for any addittional payments. Everything was adjusted at source on a year by year basis.

A few years ago, having a bit of spare time (Well I do work in the public sector) I sent in (along with my annual tax return) a detailed letter asking lots of questions about many of the possible allowance's I thought I might have been entitled to.

I got a nice response from the Inland Revenue, answering all my questions, along with another letter saying that unless my future circumstances change ( highly unlikely as the pension is not far off now) I would not be required to fill in a tax return any more.

I treasure that letter.

So, if you want my advice BE A PAIN ........... THERE'S LOTS TO GAIN.