cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain name details

N/A

Domain name details

I have three domain's hosted by Force9. Via whois, my address, phone number are publicly available as they are part of the domain details provided by Force9 to the domain registrars.

I know that most, if not all, registrars do cater for the owners of non-commercial website domains to not have their details made publicly available.

How do I get Force9 to tell the registrars for my domains to withhold my personal details from the public? - I can't see any way to do this on the Force9's domain administration webpages.
7 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Domain name details

Hi,

So long as the domains aren't being used for commercial purposes, then for UK domains just raise a ticket and we can hide the details direct with Nominet.
N/A

Domain name details

Thanks for answer re: uk domains - I'll raise a ticket.

how about .com and .net domains?

Thanks - Ben
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Domain name details

.com and .net domains don't have the same options as UK domains as regards the hiding of Whois information. For UK domains Nominet have a specific option for hiding information for individuals.
You can ask in the ticket, we may be able to change things on the .net and .com. It will depend what information is being displayed.
N/A

Domain name details

Doesn`t the Data Protection Act prevent a business allowing personally identifiable information being made public?

Since an account holder`s contract is with Force9 who then order the domain on their behalf, whilst permission isn`t needed to hold account holder`s details on Force9`s databases, express permission is required to pass that on to a third party or to cause or allow it to be seen by unauthorised persons - even if acting on behalf of an account holder in purchasing goods or services from a third party, what the account holder`s wishes are must be sought in each case.

For this reason Nominet now ask if the personal details may be displayed, the default is no of course.

Why is this so important? Well, apart from obeying the meaning and intent of the law, what happens if the account holder has an ex-directory telephone number, or is on the Telephone Preference Service (which is pointless if you then go and stick the number on the web), or perhaps has had some reason to move and obfuscate their new location (maybe after a difficult divorce etc)?

On top of all that there is European legislation which only adds to the general requirement for care with others personal details.

Yes, all these laws do apply, even though the WWW is an international community, since either Force9, or the account holder (or both), are resident in or work in the UK or EU. :?

Let`s face it, Force9 like to preserve CS staff`s privacy so why should Force9`s customers be treated any differently?
N/A

Domain name details

Let`s face it, Force9 like to preserve CS staff`s privacy so why should Force9`s customers be treated any differently?

]If you register a domain you need to provide nominet with the address - I would guess if you don't the registration is likely to be cancelled. What Nominet then do with this is their issue, and up to them and I suspect nothing to do with F9 and their obligations to the DPA - you would need to take it up with Nominet I suspect.

It is only recently that they have allowed this opt-out (when they added the display to whois in the first place)- which I don't think the .com/.net registry (INTERNIC?) provide.
N/A

Domain name details

If you register a domain you need to provide nominet with the address - I would guess if you don't the registration is likely to be cancelled. What Nominet then do with this is their issue

You are right when you say "What Nominet then do with this is their issue." However, what I was trying to helpfully point out was that it is and not the account holder who is making the application. Thus Force9 are obliged to find out the account holders wishes and pass this on to Nominet.

All this is, in one way, arbitrary since the domain becomes the property of the account holder once the domain has been registered. Eventualy, after a long wait (up to 6 months), Nominet will send the registration document to the account holder and not to Force9]. The account holder can then visit Nominet and, using the password printed on the document, changed any of the details they so choose.

Of course, if the account holder - and thus owner of the domain, is a Ltd company or a PLC then they are obliged by the Companies Act & Nominet to display their details including their registration number. Companies even have to place their registered address details, names of directors & company secretary and registration number on the website - even if it is only a one-page site!
The same applies for a registered charity, but using the registered charity number.

Although the ownership of the domain is the account holder`s, Force9 (like some other ISPs) do charge for the free service of registering the domain if you leave before the first two years are up I think or is it one year? I forget!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Domain name details

Hi,

When you register a UK domain you are asked if you are an individual or registering the domain for a plc, ltd company, etc. and have the option to opt-out of whois if you choose individual and if not it does say that the information is passed to Nominet and will be available on a Whois.

Similarly if you registered a domain before the opt-out was available or change your mind we can easily opt you out.

For non-UK domains you are registering the domain outside of the UK. You'll still be advised that the Whois information will be viewable but the US has different data protection rules to the UK for one.