cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain export out/removal problems

N/A

As I'm moving, a domain name which (while registered elsewhere) I was using with PlusNet's DNS for web/mail forwarding, rDNS etc had to be dealt with.
I changed the DNS servers and modified the DNS itself so that my new setup was described and worked. I then (thanks Jon W for the instructions) raised a ticket to have the domain removed from my account so that things would be sorted on PlusNet's DNS.

This was all a week ago (plenty of time for changes to propogate). I've checked the DNS using dig and things look fine. Unfortunately something has gone wrong, and there is still at least a mail-redirect floating around somewhere within PlusNet. If an e-mail is sent to the domain using external SMTP servers, it follows my new DNS setup. If it is sent
using PlusNet's mail severs, it is incorrectly redirected to my
PlusNet account (which was the old setup).

I asked support to look at it and got the unhelpful response
The domain has already been fully removed.

I'd suggest that everyone else with domains who are migrating check things thoroughly before you move. If this is a problem with the domain removal tool that CSC use, it could mean that PlusNet customers have somewhat borked DNS/Mail for a number of domains. I really hope this is not the case.
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Whats the domain name?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Have you done checks on the DNS entries on specific servers. I've seen examples in the past where the correct entries were showing on the caching servers but ns1.force9.net & ns2.force9.net still had the old entries - PN mail servers get their information from there.

I use the first tool on this page.

Specifically you should look for it saying "ns1.force9.net reports that it IS an authoritative nameserver for this lookup".
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

The domain name is sietch-tabr.co.uk. Thanks for the tip about force9, I'll check them out, I'd only checked PlusNet's caching servers.
N/A

Aha! Yerp, running a dig query on force9 shows the old MX info. So is this a common problem with the force9 DNS servers not updating properly? What can I do to ensure it gets fixed (I've bounced my ticket back asking for it to be looked at properly)? What are PlusNet doing to ensure this problem doesn't hit others?
Thanks again for identifying the issue jelv Smiley
shellsong
Grafter

I'm surprised they're acknowledging your existence, after all "he no longer has a Broadband connection with us!" Tongue :lol:
N/A

Heh, this is true, I am the figment of someone's deranged imagination, a manifestation of a support nightmare Wink

I'm very concerned that even after I change the DNS records and have the domain removed from my account the core PlusNet DNS servers have not updated. The force9 servers are showing week old information and it wouldn't have ever changed (not that is has yet either of course) had I not picked up on it. It would seem to be a serious breach of DNS etiquette that they're not updating with the propogated records from other DNS servers. I wonder how many other domains are suffering from incorrect DNS records after an outwards domain transfer.....
N/A

force9's incorrect info

; <<>> DiG 9.2.2 <<>> @ns1.force9.net sietch-tabr.co.uk MX
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 39256
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 7

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;sietch-tabr.co.uk. IN MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
sietch-tabr.co.uk. 14400 IN MX 20 mx.last.plus.net.
sietch-tabr.co.uk. 14400 IN MX 10 mx.core.plus.net.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
sietch-tabr.co.uk. 14400 IN NS ns1.force9.net.
sietch-tabr.co.uk. 14400 IN NS ns2.force9.net.

caching dns servers correct info
 <<>> DiG 9.2.2 <<>> @ptn-cdns01.plus.net sietch-tabr.co.uk MX

;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 62042
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 21

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;sietch-tabr.co.uk. IN MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
sietch-tabr.co.uk. 86400 IN MX 20 mx1.123-reg.co.uk.
sietch-tabr.co.uk. 86400 IN MX 10 mx0.123-reg.co.uk.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
sietch-tabr.co.uk. 86400 IN NS ns.hosteurope.com.
sietch-tabr.co.uk. 86400 IN NS ns2.hosteurope.com.

It's very very disturbing to see such differences on DNS servers and being unable to get anyone at PlusNet to address the problem or investigate if this is more wide ranging than just a mistake for my account.
Community Veteran

I'm surprised they're acknowledging your existence, after all "he no longer has a Broadband connection with us!" Tongue :lol:

Heh, this is true, I am the figment of someone's deranged imagination, a manifestation of a support nightmare Wink

I'm very concerned that even after I change the DNS records and have the domain removed from my account the core PlusNet DNS servers have not updated.

One of the previous cases I was thinking of when I posted my suggestion was where someone had left Plusnet, but there were domain records left which stopped any Plusnet users sending mail to the new domain location. As he'd left he was having a devil of a job getting it looked at.

In the end I raised a ticket saying I couldn't send mail to the domain and that got it resolved.

So if we all try sending an email to sietchtabr and then raise tickets to say it's not getting through...
N/A

I should be able to get it resolved myself as I'm still a paying customer and thankfully checked these things out before my move. It was just the packetloss ticket that they have decided to drop so far.
It looks as if I'm in exactly the same situation as you describe jelv, the only difference being I thankfully noticed before leaving. Not that it's helped me get the issue resolved. It is very worrying that on multiple occasions when the domain is removed the records are not on the force9 servers. The force9 servers are clearly not accepting any DNS changes (not just MX records) which are propagated, it looks as if they are retaining the belief that they are the authoritative DNS servers for the domain even after the account os removed.
N/A

The ticket number is 19273528 if anyone who knows what they're doing want's to take a look.
It might be wise to also investigate how this happened and if it was a CSC Agent mistake or there is a problem with the domain removal system and to perform an audit of the records for all domains which have been domain-hosted in the past.
N/A

My ticket has been returned and someone is apparently investigating it. The fact that the DNS servers have out of date information a week after the domain has been moved, DNS records changed and PlusNet were informed is, as I have said, very worrying. DNS is a vital network service which there should never be such problems with.

I just hope it gets sorted out quickly (unlikely, it's already taken bouncing the ticket back over a couple of days) and that the wider problem with domain removal is addressed (even more unlikely as this seems to have been a problem for others in the past and wasn't addressed).
Community Veteran

For an example of where this has happened before I suggest you quote my ticket 18327105
I am having trouble sending emails to 'pirate@matey.net' using the Plusnet mailservers. Sending from other ISP's mailservers is working correcly so I know it's not a problem at that end.

Ive been doing some research and have sound that your authoratative servers are claiming to answer for this domain although the domain was moved away from Plusnet some time ago. They are still pointing to the Plusnet mail servers which is why the mail is not reaching the correct destination.

The correct DNS information can be seen here: http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup.ch?name=matey.net&type=ALL&server=ns1.fast-hosts.org&detail=0

The information being given by your servers can be seen here: http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup.ch?name=matey.net&type=ALL&server=ns1.plusnet.co.uk&detail=0

Note the caching DNS servers are giving the correct information - but these are not the servers used by the Plusnet mailcore
N/A

Thanks for that Smiley I won't append my ticket now for fear of pushing it out of the queue and delaying it even more, but I'll be sure to make a mention of your ticket in the hope they investigate the wider issue of why this is happening. Although this is not something I've seen much evidence of recently unfortunately Sad
N/A

Still no reply, it's not a difficult thing to check and fix but PlusNet obviously don't take such (ab)use of DNS seriously. Perhaps it's time to send the 'expert network engineers' a copy of this or at least point them in the direction of these two RFC's. Or perhaps there's just no-one on site capable of making such changes over the long weekend.