Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain & email

bmck
Dabbler

Domain & email

Hello Folks

I'm hoping someone can sort out my confusion......!

I've just been reading the Plusnet Newsletter that came out this week and was concentrating on the Mail / Spam article. I've done all the things suggested except the tip about sending your emails to your own domain.

I did register a domain a while ago but TBH never really new what to do with it. Now if I ask Plusnet to send my emails to my domain as suggested does this mean that I'll have effectively changed my email address (from mailbox@username.plus.com to domain-name.co.uk) or does my email address stay the same but I receive them via my new domain some how? If it does mean my email address will have changed then what's the point of doing it - I may just as well create a new "clean" email account anyway.

Sorry if this sounds a bit simple - I guess it's just the concept I'm struggling with.

Thanks

Brian
2 REPLIES
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Domain & email

In order to prevent spam using the free domain name you need to update your e-mail addresses to <mailbox>@<domainname> instead of <mailbox>@<username.plus.com>. After you have updated the details in your client (Outlook Express, Outlook, Mac Mail, Thunderbird etc) and informed your contacts you will need to raise a ticket with CSC to blackhole your username.plus.com virtual domain.

As you state this is almost as much hassle as creating an entirely new account for e-mail elsewhere, but it does allow you to continue to use the PlusNet email service (to receive e-mails from PlusNet if not anything else) without spam. In addition to this you can create free a personalised domain name, something that makes you stand out and can look extremely professional when giving out your e-mail address to friends and business contacts.
bmck
Dabbler

Domain & email

Thanks for clearing that up Peterstone - I really appreciate your help.

Brian