cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Transfer from UK2.NET

N/A

We are thinking about transferring a couple of domains from UK2.NET to PlusNet. There seems to be a lot of stuff on the Web about having problems with getting domains away from UK2NET.

We have been with them for 3 years (I think they have a penalty before 2 years), and have checked I could, if necesary, administer the domain at Joker.com

Anyone got any words of wisdom on this? These are business domains, so I need to keep them live. I guess there will have to be a small downtime, but I can't afford for them to go walkabout.

Tony Brown
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

First off, have you checked thier T+Cs to make sure no further penlties will be required? What sort of domains are they? .com / net / org or .uk domains?

Chris
N/A

I know nothing about uk2.net, but do they not allow you to use your own NS (i.e PlusNet's?) - then you could just leave them registered through uk2.net - but may be there is some other reason for moving?

My domains are with Clicknames, but the NS are PlusNet's. Joker.com seem to allow the same thing.
N/A

Hi there,

We have one of our domains hosted with uk2 and due to their appalling lack of support have considered moving the domain to plus net.

I have already chatted about this with plus net support who have suggested that there should not be much of a problem.

Hopefully plus net can handle all or any problems which may arise cause dear help you if you need to rely on uk2.

The domain admin area on uk2 should give you all the information Plus net will require after that it should be fairly plain sailing.

Good luck in any event.
Community Veteran

The painfullness of the transfer process really depends on what type of domain name it is and what restrictions the old host have on transfers. You can't expect PlusNet to be a single point of contact with domain transfers, problems can happen at either end of the process and both or neither party can be to blame in some instances.

Chris
N/A

Both domains are .com. Chris's comments really mirror my own concerns. Some other ISPs openly suggest that provided you are outside the UK2.NET lockin period, you use Joker.com to 'steal' it back and immediately reassign it.

This seems a bit drastic, however since some ISPs are suggesting this route when dealing with UK2.NET, it makes me consider the position.

The thread is really aimed at either users who have succesfuly (or not) moved a domain from UK2.NET to PlusNet, or to the PlusNet reps who may have first hand experience of this.

Tony Brown
Eserim
Rising Star

posting partly to be kept up to date on this.

Is it easier/harder for .co.uk domains to be got from PlusNet?

CHawke
Ianwild
Grafter

.co.uk domain names are generally much simpler to handle. All that is needed is for the ISP who should have control over the domain to have the IPSTAG of the domain changed to them (In our case the ISPTAG is FORCE9). With a .com, the registrar often needs to be changed if you want to do a full transfer of the domain to another hosting provider.

Let me know if there are any more specific questions in relation to this?

Regards,