cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Transfer Woe

N/A

Domain Transfer Woe

Hello all,
Earlier today I transfered a domain into F9's care which worked for a good hour or so. Unfortunately, then it stopped working. It claimed F9's dns lookup servers were all timing out and since then we have received no email at all. The result of this could be several thousand pounds worth of lost sales, along with very annoyed existing customers.

So, what's made me this furious? Well like many other people, I've just come into contact with F9's brand new shiny support system. Isn't it lovely? It took me merely an hour to find a phone number to talk to someone. Then, just a short 30 minute wait. The man on the other end was so polite rushing through the conversation like that, obviously aware of my need to finish our chat quickly and get on with other things. Of course, he didn't want to burden me with help, so he kindly told me to go to f9.net and look at the support pages. Why didn't I think of that? After only another hour I found how to raise a ticket. In the past I've been so disappointed by how easy it was to ask a technical support question. But no longer. Thank you F9. I'm so glad I suggested moving the company I work for over to you!

David
aka dpclark who after today is considering leaving after being a customer for many years. Well done.
4 REPLIES
N/A

Domain Transfer Woe

Hi,
Yes ideally I would've waited until the weekend, I know. Regretting the now. What I couldn't understand though is why the name servers are timing out? Obviously, they're working for other domains and you'd have thought they'd just return some sort of negative response rather than not responding at all?

It does seem odd that they'd work then not, though. I know that changes have to propagate around the network, but you can get as far as querying the F9 servers before themselves before it fails.

Ah well. I guess there's not much I can do. Just sit here and hope my job is still there in the morning Sad
N/A

Re: Domain Transfer Woe

Earlier today I transfered a domain into F9's care which worked for a good hour or so. Unfortunately, then it stopped working. It claimed F9's dns lookup servers were all timing out and since then we have received no email at all. The result of this could be several thousand pounds worth of lost sales, along with very annoyed existing customers.

When you transfer a domain name to any new provider, generally DNS takes from 24- 72 hours to refresh on all servers. I would have thought that maybe timing the move to coincide with the quieter period (usually the weekend) would have been better. During this time, sometimes the domain will work, sometimes it won't. Unfortunately it is part and parcel of the process.

Mark
N/A

Domain Transfer Woe

Hello Smiley
Last night I got control of the domain record and managed to sort things out. I think F9 had taken control of the domain record then set up the record for our new F9 account. That'd probably be very useful for most people but not in this instance. Ah well :?

Anyway, everything's ok now. Thanks all for your support. I probably was a little harsh on F9 at the time but was in a panic. Nonetheless, I'm still not very impressed with their new support system. They need to think carefully about their customer service if they're not to lose customers.
quelquod
Rising Star

Domain Transfer Woe

Hi,
Yes ideally I would've waited until the weekend, I know. Regretting the now. What I couldn't understand though is why the name servers are timing out? Obviously, they're working for other domains and you'd have thought they'd just return some sort of negative response rather than not responding at all?

You need to wait for the updated info to propagate all round the www DNS servers and this can take a day or two. Until then addressing your new site location will be hit or miss.
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!