cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Renewal

N/A

Domain Renewal

If anybody has a domain registered with plus net that they no longer require, beware, don't assume that if the portal says the domain will be lost when it expires, it won't be renewed. Apparently this is meaningless and unless you actually send a message saying you don't want it renewed it will be. This happened to me, costing me £53 (expensive for domain registration) which also I might add happened out of the blue because the portal said it was due to expire in May next year, not this July. I've been told this is because I transfered the domain from elswhere in which case the dates will obviously be rubbish ?? work that one out.
Anyway Forewarned is Forearmed or something, hopefully I can save someone else £53.
9 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Domain Renewal

Good Morning,

As per the terms and conditions that you agreed to at the signup process under section 8 last paragraph it does state that unless you say otherwise the domain will be renewed as part of the account service and regards the expiry date under the domain control panel this is basically to let you know when the record is set to expire so you can make provisions if necessary to not have it renewed.

So to complain about something that you did not action when in full receipt of the information is a little unfair to say the least.

Regards
--
| Lee Mckenzie.................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support Agent..............for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +




N/A

RE: Domain Renewal

You said,

"regards the expiry date under the domain control panel this is basically to let you know when the record is set to expire so you can make provisions if necessary to not have it renewed."

But the date was and still is May 2003, we are now in July 2002 so according to you it shouldn't have expired.
And what about the fact that it said the domain would be lost when it expired, why on earth would I think I had to do anything if that is what the portal was telling me

" So to complain about something that you did not action when in full receipt of the information is a little unfair to say the least."

It Certainly would be, but I wasn't the information the portal was giving me was incorrect.

This Brick wall is hurting my head now !
N/A

RE: Domain Renewal

Seems to me that plusnet has not read the users comments above, surely if the portal gives you information stating that the domain wont expire until May 2003 how are you supposed to know that it actually expire in July 2002? Why use an expiry date that is useless Huh

If this basic information is wrong Im really not looking forward to the next direct debit from plusnet ! ! !

Perhaps plusnet should consider changing its slogan from

+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +

to

+ ----- Domain Names - It pays plusnet to move domain names to plusnet ?----- +



N/A

RE: Domain Renewal

> Seems to me that plusnet has not read the users comments above, surely if the portal gives you information stating that the domain wont expire until May 2003 how are you supposed to know that it actually expire in July 2002? Why use an expiry date that is useless Huh
Hi there,
In the case of domains not registered through us, the renewal date may not be accurate. It is normally two years from when you purchased the domain.
If we receive an invoice from Nominet and you specifically haven't asked to renew a domain, we will. Imagine if you were a business and your domain was detagged...

> If this basic information is wrong Im really not looking forward to the next direct debit from plusnet ! ! !
You can always find when a domain is set to renew by checking the whois records, you can do that at www.nominet.co.uk.
If the domain info is wrong, let us know and we will be more than happy to correct it.
Kind Regards,
Mike
--
| Mike Grice.....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..............http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

RE: Domain Renewal


Thankyou, someone who actually seems to be reading my messages rather than giving a stock response. No one else has seemed to want to address the problem of inacurate dates.

I totaly understand why domains would normally be renewed automatically.
Perhaps it would be best not to show a date at all if the domain is imported from elswhere, therefore avoiding confusion. I guess I should have known it was two years since I bought the domain from easily, but it's not the kind of thing you tend to remember.

Perhaps someone can answer the other point of confusion. Why does the portal say 'Your domain will be lost when it expires, click here to change this' if that is not what it means ?

Unfortunately the fact still remains, i am £53 down due to misleading information on the portal, less charitable people could claim it is some kind of scam rather than a simple mistake.
N/A

RE: Domain Renewal


Thankyou, someone who actually seems to be reading my messages rather than giving a stock response. No one else has seemed to want to address the problem of inacurate dates.

I totaly understand why domains would normally be renewed automatically.
Perhaps it would be best not to show a date at all if the domain is imported from elswhere, therefore avoiding confusion. I guess I should have known it was two years since I bought the domain from easily, but it's not the kind of thing you tend to remember.

Perhaps someone can answer the other point of confusion. Why does the portal say 'Your domain will be lost when it expires, click here to change this' if that is not what it means ?

Unfortunately the fact still remains, i am £53 down due to misleading information on the portal, less charitable people could claim it is some kind of scam rather than a simple mistake.
N/A

RE: Domain Renewal

> Thankyou, someone who actually seems to be reading my messages rather than giving a stock response. No one else has seemed to want to address the problem of inacurate dates.
That's what we're here for! Apologies if you feel the answers you received were not up to scratch!

> I totaly understand why domains would normally be renewed automatically.
> Perhaps it would be best not to show a date at all if the domain is imported from elswhere, therefore avoiding confusion. I guess I should have known it was two years since I bought the domain from easily, but it's not the kind of thing you tend to remember.
That's not a bad idea. I think that the whole system as you've described it needs looking at... I'll raise an idea internally with your suggestions on it.
> Perhaps someone can answer the other point of confusion. Why does the portal say 'Your domain will be lost when it expires, click here to change this' if that is not what it means ?
Essentially this is as my last posting. The domain control system (DCS) cannot tell the difference from this standpoint whether you transferred the domain in or registered it here. It knows most other things, but the date is a simple text field. Again, I will address this internally.
> Unfortunately the fact still remains, i am £53 down due to misleading information on the portal, less charitable people could claim it is some kind of scam rather than a simple mistake.
Apologies for things not going as smoothly as planned. I will look at this and offer suggestions to the development team to get this system to how it should be.
Kind Regards,
Mike
--
| Mike Grice.....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..............http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

RE: Domain Renewal

Excellent, it may all be Bulls**t but, hey i'm convinced.
I may not have got my money back but at least someone's acknowledged there's a problem.
Thanks for taking me seriously and actually reading my message.

Perhaps I will renew next year after all
N/A

RE: Domain Renewal

> That's not a bad idea. I think that the whole system as you've described it needs looking at...

Mike, I think you're right. i believe that the configurations for domain management are quite confusing and lead to these sort of threads on this forum. Also, the level of domain renewal fees doesn't do Plusnet's image any favours and in my perception is actually quite harmful to it.

I would have thought that it would make more sense to charge a competitive price for renewals, but also to introduce a reasonable hosting charge to compensate for the revenue loss on domain renewals.

I bet you'd find that the majority of subscribers would be much happier with that and not feel aggrieved about domain renewals. I know I would.

Pity I can't set up a poll on this forum like on ISPr !

Hey there's another idea...

Cheers.
--