cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Renewal

N/A

Domain Renewal

At the moment I have domains hosted left right and centre with different companies, ideally I would have them all hosted in one place, but I have a query about the cost of renewals with plusnet. If I was to transfer in a domain, and then it expired in a few months would I have to pay £45 + vat to renew it for 2 years? This figure is some £30 more then my current host charges, and is quite a big reason for me not transferring in the domain.

Also, just looking around the domain & email configuration I can't find an option to set-up mailboxes for a domain name (only username.plus.com) is this the case?

One last question! - Are there any other 'hidden' charges I can expect to see, I have spoken to support staff in the past at plusnet, and no one seems to have a clue what the £1 domain charge on my account is. 18 months ago I had a "free" domain name, last month I was paying £1 for the free domain, and now I have been told that I am paying £1 just incase I want another "free" domain name in the future. This is easily the most confusing part of the plusnet account as it seems even your own staff don't know what it is! Could you please let me know what this is (I no longer need/want the co.uk domain on my account).

thanks for your help

Duncan
26 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Domain Renewal

Dear Customer

If you set up a mailbox on your generic e-mail address ie mail@username.plus.com this will also apply to any domains that you have on your account, ie mail.mydomain.co.uk. These e-mail will arrive in the same mailbox. You will have to set up a new account in your mail client with account name of username+mailboxname and the password for this mailbox "each mail box can have its own password"

With the ADSL account you get a £1 included domain and will not face any other charges unless you cancell you account before the first year. If you do this you will have to pay the full amount of £45.00 +vat for the domain as you would do with all free and included doamins in the same situation.

If you have a domain on your account that you have transferred in you will only have to pay for the re-registration when this is due, £45.00 +vat .co.uk £79.00 +vat .com etc... there are no hosting charges unless you have more doamins than you can host for free "3 for residential and 5 for business accounts" If you have more than this you will have to pay hosting charges at £25.00 +vat per year per domain.

If you do not want the included domain on the residential adsl accounts you will have to request that you do not want to have the included domain option. This covers just about every cost for a domain.

--
kind Regards

--
| Chris.Taylor..............Unmetered.&.ADSL.solutions
| Customer.Support.................for.Home.&.Business
| PlusNet.Technologies.Ltd.......@.http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My.Referrals-It.pays.to.recommendPlusNet -----
N/A

Chris, thank you for the detailed reply. I wasn't aware that the mailboxes were setup like that - thanks.

Duncan
N/A

> Chris, thank you for the detailed reply. I wasn't aware that the mailboxes were setup like that - thanks.
>

Hi Duncan,

Your welcome! Just let us know if we can help you any further.

Regards,

Dave

--
| David Scarpa...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----

N/A

I know the hosting is free, but the scale of Plusnet's renewal charges for domains is pretty steep. For example, I had a .com that came up for renewal recently and the published £79 + VAT was charged for renewal, but for 1 year, so the same charge will recur annually thereafter.

On the other hand, Network Solutions are currently charging the sterling equivalent of about £44 (with no VAT) to renew a .com for 3 years. Okay it's a special offer, but their normal rate is only $105 for 3 years (£66 with no VAT) anyway

That's a huge profit margin.

On the face of it, one could easily build a case for cancelling your Plusnet account just before domain renewal comes up, then renew at Netsol's rate and sign up for a new Plusnet account. Bingo! No domain charge for 3 years.

The same principle applies to co.uk domains.

Plusnet, you're really not doing yourself any favours with these rates, y'know.
--
N/A

RE: Domain Renewal - Rip Off?

One of my domains, purchased through UKFAST, came up for renewal, thier charge was £11.75 inc, at the same time I had the tag changed to Plusnet, due to an admin error Plusnet also charged me for renewal - £52.88, over 4 times the price!

Before I send the details to BBC's Watchdog programme for investigation, are there any other examples out there?

Mail me at dave@foxvideo.co.uk
N/A

If you transfer a domain name into our service and the domain name is not paid for then the register will bill ourselves. As per our terms and conditions we will register the domain name on behalf of our customer unless you inform us not to at our normal charge rates.

You will find that our domain charges are competive with other ISPs. For instance pipex appears to charge over a £100 + vat for a domain name.

As a user we do give you the choice through my domains whether or not you wish us to renew them or not has always been the customers choice. If you do not wish us to renew your domain name simply inform us of your wish via my domains on the portal.

Kind regards

Kevin
--
--
| Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| PlusNet Customer Support .......... for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
N/A

This is simple to explain - host with plus net and they make loads of money by charging loads!

If you transfer your domains to www.oneandone.co.uk you get them for £2.89 per year (.co.uk) and £8.99 (.coms etc) You get 50 email boxes or you can forward your mail to your plus net account and the hosting is great! You also get a FREE .info domain with every domain you transfer in! I host about 15 domain with them for less than 1 at plus net! Sorry plus net, but if you brought your prices down to even £10 a domain loads more people would register with you and even host with you!.

Jeremy Bray
N/A

Kevin,

QUOTE:> If you transfer a domain name into our service and the domain name is not paid for then the register will bill ourselves. As per our terms and conditions we will register the domain name on behalf of our customer unless you inform us not to at our normal charge rates.

You seem to have missed one point here, I paid UKFAST for the renewal (£11.75) BEFORE txfring in to PN, A copy of my Visa statement is posted on 'Contact Us',

QUOTE:> As a user we do give you the choice through my domains whether or not you wish us to renew them or not has always been the customers choice. If you do not wish us to renew your domain name simply inform us of your wish via my domains on the portal.

Here again, you miss the point, when my domain is due for renewal again, I will txfr it out, renew it at a lower cost elsewhere, then txfr it back in, extra work for you that is not chargeable to me under your hosting agreement for Connect Biz - Pull yourselves into line with competetive renewal rates and save yourselves hassle!
N/A

> You will find that our domain charges are competive with other ISPs. For instance pipex appears to charge over a £100 + vat for a domain name.

Pipex (which is about the most example you could have used anyway) do not themselves charge for .com and .co.uk domain renewals which is what this thread is about.

The customer deals directly with Network Solutions for .com renewals and pays their rates as per my earlier post in this thread.

For co.uk renewals, Pipex pay for the first 2 years registation and thereafter the customer deals direct with Nominet and pays Nominet rates.

By the way, the £100 + VAT Pipex is an admin charge.

As S. Farrant says, it makes sense to transfer a domain out just before renewal and then back in again afterwards.
--
N/A

Thie choice is whether you want plusnet to do this work for you or not.

The option of whether or not we renew your domain names for you is your choice and you are given that choice via the portal. If we bill you then your other host has not paid the bill. The register sends us the bill we pay for it and admin the domain.

Not to try scare users but, everyday the call centre deal with customers who say the magic words, "where is my website gone. I am losing hundreds of pounds of lost revenue and this is damaging their business".

When we look into the issue, the majority of these cases, we see that the domain name control is with another billing agent. Their interest is registering hundreds of domains making some money vby dealing with domains in bulk. They have not contacted the user and so the domain expired. The user goes screaming at the third party a few days later the domain is back online. Outcome they save a few quid and lose 7 days of email and web delivery.

The conclusion is we are more interested than any third party in the availablity of your domain. If you want others to deal with the admin of a domain then thats fine, if you want us to that is fine also. The choice so to speak is yours.

Kind regards

Kevin
--
--
N/A

> Outcome they save a few quid and lose 7 days of email and web delivery.

Kevin, if it were just "a few quid", I'd say fair enough and we wouldn't be having this dialogue.

But the reality is, because Plusnet only renew a domain for one year at a time, the cost on a .com for renewal over 3 years is £237 + VAT (Plusnet rate at £79 + VAT) versus Netsol's current charge of £44 (with no VAT) for 3 years.

The difference of £193 + VAT on a single domain is a big price to pay for the comfort of Plusnet doing the admin.
--
N/A

Kevin,

I understand your position and maybe this discussion should be carried on elsewhere, but I do consider it to be of interest to other Plusnet users and, after all it's what discussion groups are for.

Having just had a long telephone call to Nominet I find it incredible that they charge you £5.00 per renewal and you pass this on to us at £45.00 - a 9 fold increase!

While I can transfer out and back to save money, Plusnet then lose ALL renewal fees, surely it would make viable commercial sense for Plusnet to charge a reasonable renewal of say £20/£25 and then I/others wouldn't have to transfer, after all transferring out/back costs us nothing.

I am more than happy with Plusnet as an ISP, just look at my referrals!, I do think someone at Plusnet should look at the considerations and possible bad publicity issues if it was to become widely known that such a huge profit margin was being exploited in domain renewals.
N/A

Our costs are decided by our management. i am sure that this is something which is keenly looked at from time to time.

In respect for .com's our registartion rate is for 2 years not one year.

Kind Regards

Kevin

--
--
N/A

> In respect for .com's our registartion rate is for 2 years not one year.

Well, if you look at your invoice number 260912 for domain renewal and then look at the relevant whois entry, you'll see the expiry date is 19 July 2003.

So why has this only been renewed for 1 year?
--