Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Renewal & Other Things

N/A

Domain Renewal & Other Things

Hello,

Numerous questions for today:

1) My domain name is due for renewal at the end of the month. Several weeks ago I received a renewal form from the 'Domain Registy of America' offering me a chance to renew it. I don't expect these are *the* people to renew it with, since I'm guessing I can technically renew it with almost any company? They do say "now is the time to renew and transfer your domain..." etc. Well I don't want to transfer it, I just want to renew it. Any advice on this - who to go to, how it works? Despite being a man of intelligence, I shall never figure this whole domain thing out! :|

2) I believe it's possible to get a 'registry key' that lets you edit the information in the Whois database yourself. The people to contact for this are obviously the people the domain is registered with, but again I'm not sure who that is! The domain was originally registered by someone else using the freebie site of NameZero. I inherited it, and paid to have it transferred to PlusNet, and gain ownership. NZ's details are still there under the 'billing information' section on Whois, and I'm not really sure who the registrar really is. This might be easier to solve once I've renewed it with someone, though...

3) I've been aware for the last couple of years that with my Lite account, I'm limited to 250MB of bandwidth a day (unless it's changed). My site's visitor count has slowly been creeping up, and I know it's often over that now - February has an average of around 350MB a day, and that's the highest average it's reached. This is why I've never had large files on my website because I'm concerned about flying well over the limit. How well policed is this? I'm obviously pushing it a little, if it's still enforced, but I'm not sure where the line is drawn. I'd like to add more to my site, and not host it externally, but I'd rather not run into trouble. I understand that publically announcing the factor of allowance on your bandwidth limit in this forum may be a bad idea, but I'm just curious, if you can shed any light on it! Perhaps as long as it doesn't get outrageously high, you don't mind. Or maybe the limit has changed! Also, My Lite account had unlimited webspace when I registered, but now only 250MB is offered. I imagine that isn't applied to me (not that I'm even near that figure), but it'd be nice to know for sure anyway Smiley

4) When I've got some money (one day), I will probably switch to ADSL. If I do, will I happily keep my webspace and CGI space, all as part of the standard ADSL deal? Or will I have to pay for a slightly uprated account to hold onto all of those things? The best option for broadband would definitely be PlusNet ADSL for me (I've a long-standing grudge against NTL Cheesy ), and I'm just interested as to how the account would likely change over.

Right. Sorry for the long post, and all the questions! Any answers would be appreciated, by staff or members alike...

Thanks,
Martyn
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Domain Renewal & Other Things

Hi Martyn,

We will take these point by point:

> Numerous questions for today:

Excellent!

> 1) My domain name is due for renewal at the end of the month. Several weeks ago I received a renewal form from the 'Domain Registy of America' offering me a chance to renew it. I don't expect these are *the* people to renew it with, since I'm guessing I can technically renew it with almost any company? They do say "now is the time to renew and transfer your domain..." etc. Well I don't want to transfer it, I just want to renew it. Any advice on this - who to go to, how it works? Despite being a man of intelligence, I shall never figure this whole domain thing out! :|

---

Domains are complicated beasts. I would guess that the email you got was an unsolicited attempt by a less than scruplious organisation. They try to catch people out who don't understand domains - Which is a lot of people.

When your domain is due for renewal the Registrar will raise an invoice to the billing contact on the domain. The billing contact will then either pay the invoice or ignore it and let the domain expire. What you need to know is who the billing contact for the domain is, and who the registrar is. To do this, use a Whois checker like this www.allwhois.com - This should give you these details for your domain.

You can normally pay the registrar or the billing contact for the renewal. Depending on the specifics you may find it's cheaper to pay the registrar directly, or it might turn out the other way round if your billing contact has any special arrangements with the registrar.

---
> 2) I believe it's possible to get a 'registry key' that lets you edit the information in the Whois database yourself. The people to contact for this are obviously the people the domain is registered with, but again I'm not sure who that is! The domain was originally registered by someone else using the freebie site of NameZero. I inherited it, and paid to have it transferred to PlusNet, and gain ownership. NZ's details are still there under the 'billing information' section on Whois, and I'm not really sure who the registrar really is. This might be easier to solve once I've renewed it with someone, though...

---

Who has the admin and tech control over the domain?If you fully transferred it to us in the last few months then the registrar will be Bulk Register. It depends on the registrar as to what you can do with the domain, but in order to admin the domain you may need to get the Admin contacts changed to yourself. I'm not sure how this would work in your case - Again it all depends on the specifics of the domain name.

---

> 3) I've been aware for the last couple of years that with my Lite account, I'm limited to 250MB of bandwidth a day (unless it's changed). My site's visitor count has slowly been creeping up, and I know it's often over that now - February has an average of around 350MB a day, and that's the highest average it's reached. This is why I've never had large files on my website because I'm concerned about flying well over the limit. How well policed is this? I'm obviously pushing it a little, if it's still enforced, but I'm not sure where the line is drawn. I'd like to add more to my site, and not host it externally, but I'd rather not run into trouble. I understand that publically announcing the factor of allowance on your bandwidth limit in this forum may be a bad idea, but I'm just curious, if you can shed any light on it! Perhaps as long as it doesn't get outrageously high, you don't mind. Or maybe the limit has changed! Also, My Lite account had unlimited webspace when I registered, but now only 250MB is offered. I imagine that isn't applied to me (not that I'm even near that figure), but it'd be nice to know for sure anyway Smiley

---

We do police bandwidth limits, and normally rely on a 10% rule - If it goes over 10% of the limit you can expect to be contacted. We normally ask users to pay for the additional bandwidth they use at a rate of £2.99 per GB. If you do get contacted the options will be laid oput to you then - You will never have to pay if you don't want to (But would be asked to reduce your traffic going forwards).

We do recommend to some customers that they upgrade to a business package (500MB / Day = 15GB per month), or take out a second account and split up their site, as this can sometimes become a better deal for you than paying for bandwidth per GB.

We have stated that customers who signed up when we offered 'Unlimited' webspace can use above the limits now in place, provided it remains within reason. The playing field has changed a lot in the last few years and it simply isn't feasible for us to offer 'Unlimited' space usage anymore.

---

> 4) When I've got some money (one day), I will probably switch to ADSL. If I do, will I happily keep my webspace and CGI space, all as part of the standard ADSL deal? Or will I have to pay for a slightly uprated account to hold onto all of those things? The best option for broadband would definitely be PlusNet ADSL for me (I've a long-standing grudge against NTL Cheesy ), and I'm just interested as to how the account would likely change over.

Provided you upgrade to an ADSL package which supports CGI (Not ADSL Home Surf for example), you will keep all aspects of your account as they are now. The standard ADSL Home account offers a perfectly good route to do this.

---

Right - Sorry for the long post, I might have missed some questions... Let me know about anythingt I haven't covered or made clear and I wil have another go!

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

RE: Domain Renewal & Other Things

Thanks for the reply, Ian. Mostly cleared up, but do read on...

> Hi Martyn,
>
> We will take these point by point:
>
> > Numerous questions for today:
>
> Excellent!

Are you a masochist, or do you simply love your job? Wink

> Domains are complicated beasts. I would guess that the email you got was an unsolicited attempt by a less than scruplious organisation. They try to catch people out who don't understand domains - Which is a lot of people.
>

Thought so.

> When your domain is due for renewal the Registrar will raise an invoice to the billing contact on the domain. The billing contact will then either pay the invoice or ignore it and let the domain expire. What you need to know is who the billing contact for the domain is, and who the registrar is. To do this, use a Whois checker like this www.allwhois.com - This should give you these details for your domain.
>

Well, I'm the 'registrant' (obviously), NameZero are the billing contact, and that's all I know. I'm still not sure who the 'registrar' is, but I think NameZero may have registered it through another company.

> You can normally pay the registrar or the billing contact for the renewal. Depending on the specifics you may find it's cheaper to pay the registrar directly, or it might turn out the other way round if your billing contact has any special arrangements with the registrar.
>

I guess I shall simply wait and see what turns up in my letterbox or inbox, then...

Re: Registry details
> Who has the admin and tech control over the domain?If you fully transferred it to us in the last few months then the registrar will be Bulk Register. It depends on the registrar as to what you can do with the domain, but in order to admin the domain you may need to get the Admin contacts changed to yourself. I'm not sure how this would work in your case - Again it all depends on the specifics of the domain name.
>

Well, the admin contact is NameZero (and they somehow missed out a line of my address, not that it matters). They usually appear as the 'billing contact', and I thought I was listed as the 'admin contact', but not on allwhois.com.

I'd contact them, but I have a feeling they won't be much use, in all honesty. They were rather hopeless when I was trying to transfer the domain to PlusNet. Still, I shall likely chase them up soon.

Would it be easy to change registrar or the admin people? I'd really like to remove NameZero from the equation altogether... Smiley

> We have stated that customers who signed up when we offered 'Unlimited' webspace can use above the limits now in place, provided it remains within reason. The playing field has changed a lot in the last few years and it simply isn't feasible for us to offer 'Unlimited' space usage anymore.
>
I understand that, and I have no intention of using 'unlimited' amounts of space! I simply wondered, because I don't tend to keep tabs on how much I've used.

How does CGI space fall into the bandwidth usage? I've no idea how much bandwidth a forum tends to use, although I now run two on my webspace - one moderately busy, one almost dormant.

Okay, now a new question!

Relating back to when I signed up with my Lite account, a little over two years ago, I was offered a free .co.uk domain. I've always had the intention to use it - when I found good reason to - and today I was finally going to. When I entered the details to register it, but before I confirmed, I noticed the charge for £52 registration.

I realise that account features change over time, but I am absolutely certain that I have not been informed of a change in my terms and conditions with respect to this - I pay attention to all the e-mails PlusNet send me, and I am sure I would have noticed such an obvious change. I honestly have no intention of swindling you or trying to unfairly gain things I shouldn't have, but I have always thought I had a free .co.uk domain to use as part of my account, and now... I find I don't.

What is the standing on this?

Thanks again for your reply.

Martyn