cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Hosting @ PlusNET

N/A

Domain Hosting @ PlusNET

Q - Given the $8.99 Lite User package offers a domain name included in the package, how does one obtain this free domain. Is this owned / registered by the user outright (on sign-up) if not how does one come to obtain full rights to this domain name. Can it be controlled (ie can one re-set the name servers) by some web based control panel.

Presently my website is on an overseas ISP's 'webspace'. I get full FTP access to this website whichever ISP I'm dialled in through whether in the UK, Australia or wherever. VERY important if one is on the other side of the globe and one needs to update the website. I pay about £3.50 per month to this ISP that gives me ten hours dial in access time my paying local untimed calls when/if I avail of the dial in. My existing domain name JOENZ.com [independently registered] is pointed to the nameservers of MyDomain.com [A FREE Service] they, MyDomain.com, effectively create a framed page which displays my overseas ISP hosted site within their frames. They also act as an Email forwarding service.

I now know for example that I could avail of the service of DotEasy.com for about £18 per annum which would include BASIC webhosting and FULL FTP access which would get me a second Domain Registration and Hosting solution.

Is it possible to do better with PlusNET ?

--

RE: Domain Hosting @ PlusNET

Hi,

Questions answered below with the original question for ease of viewing Smiley

Q - Given the $8.99 Lite User package offers a domain name included in the package, how does one obtain this free domain.

This can be registered by logging into...

My PlusNet --> My Domain Names --> Register

..through the portal and going through the registration process for a suitable free domain type. When you submit the information, the system will opt to use one of your free .uk components to register the domain and no charge will be made.

Q. Is this owned / registered by the user outright (on sign-up) if not how does one come to obtain full rights to this domain name.

Yes. You choose the legal registrant for the domain. A domain is never really owned. It is registered to a particular company or person. Although we will be the IPSTAG holder for the domain and will be the body who make changes, the legal registrant is yourself.

Q. Can it be controlled (ie can one re-set the name servers) by some web based control panel.

Additional A / CNAME / MX records can be added to our DNS zone entries for your domain by you through the portal at any time. Nameservers must remain with us unless you perform a complete outbound transfer of the domain. As this domain is part of your account, you will be charged the full registration price of the domain if it's transferred out within 1 year. After that, you can do with it as you choose.

> Presently my website is on an overseas ISP's 'webspace'. I get full FTP access to this website whichever ISP I'm dialled in through whether in the UK, Australia or wherever. VERY important if one is on the other side of the globe and one needs to update the website. I pay about £3.50 per month to this ISP that gives me ten hours dial in access time my paying local untimed calls when/if I avail of the dial in. My existing domain name JOENZ.com [independently registered] is pointed to the nameservers of MyDomain.com [A FREE Service] they, MyDomain.com, effectively create a framed page which displays my overseas ISP hosted site within their frames. They also act as an Email forwarding service.
>
> I now know for example that I could avail of the service of DotEasy.com for about £18 per annum which would include BASIC webhosting and FULL FTP access which would get me a second Domain Registration and Hosting solution.
>
> Is it possible to do better with PlusNET ?
>

Most definitely. With your subscription account, you can access our FTP server from any network in the same way you can at the moment. You're domain is fully hosted rather than your pages being dropped into a frame.

Your email is also fully hosted with forwarding as an option if you need it. As standard, anythingyouwant@domain.co.uk will go to your email account on our servers. This can then be filtered by your mail program, or you can add password protected mailboxes on our side if the domain is to be used by e.g multiple members of staff.

This is all placed on 250MB of webspace with 250MB bandwidth allowance in any 24 hour period.

In addition, it's all hosted on apache servers on a stable unix platform.

I hope this helps.

Regards, Torsten.

--
| Torsten Dettlaff...............Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +
Community Veteran

An important point note mentioned by support (correct me if I am wrong here) you can get FTP access to your home pages from any other ISP BUT if your site makes use of any CGI / perl scripts these are located on a seperate rever and CANNOT be accessed unless you are logged on via Plus net.
--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk
N/A

> An important point note mentioned by support (correct me if I am wrong here) you can get FTP access to your home pages from any other ISP BUT if your site makes use of any CGI / perl scripts these are located on a seperate rever and CANNOT be accessed unless you are logged on via Plus net.
>

Hi,

Good point. That's important to note as it changes the way you have to work with your scripts.

Regards, Torsten.

--
| Torsten Dettlaff...............Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +
N/A

Thanks guys for all the tremendous effort you put into those replies. I'll certainly read over them carefully.

If I were to follow that advice and host/mirror my site at PlusNET and a situation led to my returning to Australia (say for eighteen months) I would be beefing up my dial-in access downunder (in terms of access hours per month and cost per month) and would look to make a compensating reduction in my UK ISP dial in costs.

Would the PlusNET hosting still be available in the fashion described as either a PAYG subscriber or by swithing to some HOST ONLY account ('till next I'm in the UK)

'course I might not miss the Queensland sunshine and prefer to remain under these wonderful grey skies. Hmmm
N/A

Hi,

I run a dedicated server hosted by someone else. I use PlusNet as the registrar for the domain, and to provide DNS services. They were incredibly helpful in setting this side up for me, and I would recommend them to anybody at the moment. To me at least, they have proved to be versatile, and have shown a genuine willingness to solve problems.

Personally, I ended up with a £10 per month business account, because it allowed up to five domains to be hosted at no extra charge.

A quick pointer - if you do go for PlusNet, your cgi password expires every 100 days. From fading memory (must have been about 100 days ago) you need to telnet in to change it. I'm sure PN will correct me if I'm wrong here.

Regards,
Neil

> Thanks guys for all the tremendous effort you put into those replies. I'll certainly read over them carefully.
>
> If I were to follow that advice and host/mirror my site at PlusNET and a situation led to my returning to Australia (say for eighteen months) I would be beefing up my dial-in access downunder (in terms of access hours per month and cost per month) and would look to make a compensating reduction in my UK ISP dial in costs.
>
> Would the PlusNET hosting still be available in the fashion described as either a PAYG subscriber or by swithing to some HOST ONLY account ('till next I'm in the UK)
>
> 'course I might not miss the Queensland sunshine and prefer to remain under these wonderful grey skies. Hmmm