cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Direct

N/A

Domain Direct

Hi,

I've just registered afurther domain and wish to direct to my .plus.com pages.

Domain was 'registered' yesterday, says its OK. Have told it where to find the page (***.plus.com) and it just goes to a search page.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Bob
10 REPLIES
MrToast
Grafter

Domain Direct

Bob,

A bit more info would help.

Did you register the domain with PN or another company?

In what way do you want it to 'point' at your pages?

You could host it on PN's server as part of your account.... or use the company you registered it with to re-direct to your PN pages. I'd suggest the first method.

I won't write an essay, much of which may be redundant depending on what you want to do.
N/A

Domain Direct

Hi Agora,

Via PN. I have three d/names now. I've deselected the other two and have asked via PN account for the .me.uk domain name to point to my PN webspace.

I've done exactly the same as before (I think!)

Any help much appreciated, its for a project next week.

Bob
MrToast
Grafter

Domain Direct

OK....

Under My Account | Domain Names

You should see a table with your domain names. Click the relevant 'Configure' button.

Under Domain Hosting settings select 'default' and in the box enter the directory (if any) where your website with index.html page resides. If you have loaded your site into the htdocs folder (and haven't put it in a sub folder) leave this box blank.

There is a mail settings area too. you might wnat to check that POP3 is sel;ected unless you want to do something else there.

When you upload your files you do need to change to the htdocs (or sub) folder. When you log into ftp you are one level down from htdocs. Can you see your pages at www.acountname.plus.com?

Does the whois search show your domain name yet?

Thats all I know.
N/A

Domain Direct

Cheers Agora,

That's pretty much where I'm up to. I'll check the whois, me thinks that we're just awaiting for a domain update refreshy thingy! The .me.uk no longer goes to a search, just not known. Progress.

Many thanks

Bob
N/A

Domain Direct

OK, the new domain is registering on whois.

Still unable to point the new domain to my PN webspace. Come s up with windows 'not known/offline page'.

How long should this process take from registering a domain for the net to be populated?

Any answers gratefully received. I've a project this week - needing this to be working.

Bob
MrToast
Grafter

Domain Direct

What nameservers are shown for you domain on the whois? Can you tell us the domain so we can look?

Since you bought the domain through PN I would expect they have pointed it at PN's nameservers.

If you ahve done everything, and its not working, raise a Contact Us ticket.

I had DNS issues the other week which were sorted out very quickly
N/A

Domain Direct

Sounds technical.

colinhall.me.uk is the new domain.

Bob
N/A

Domain Direct

Sounds technical.

colinhall.me.uk is the new domain.

Bob
MrToast
Grafter

Domain Direct

First step. According to the whois...

Name servers:
ns1.force9.net
ns2.force9.net
ns2.plusnet.co.uk
ns1.plusnet.co.uk

So far so good.

However, there seems to be some problem as ns2.plusnet.co.uk and ns1.plusnet.co.uk are not listed on the name servers.

Your URL www.colinhall.me.uk appears to point at the PN home pages server:

C:\>ping -a www.colinhall.me.uk

Pinging homepages.plus.net [212.159.9.131] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 212.159.9.131: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=244

So we are close.

That said, with a browser no page loads. I get http error 404 - file not found. Whereas I do see pages at www.melidenroad.plus.com

Also, I see that the PN email servers (MX) won't accept any mail at your new domain.

I suggest that you raise a ticket about DNS issues describing whats been found. They manage to clear this sort of query up quickly if you follow the route through the contact us system.

I had a DNS problem the other week that took 30 mins to sort.
N/A

Domain Direct

Cheers once more Agora,

I've raised a ticket. First repsonse was to remove the target address in hdocs, as new domain will automatically go to .plus.com address.

However I've responded to ticket, as it still not works, err 404.

We'll see what happens.

Bob