Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Control - Lack of Response from PN Support

starfry
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hello, I have raised several tickets since last weekend to get my domain records working with the new "ccgi" server (something which PN are forcing me to migrate to - so some support would be nice).

It has been several days now, my URLs do not work this means my web site is unaccessible and this is a problem.

Support seem particularly slow at responding.

Please can someone look into this lack of response for me. I rarely call support and am only doing it now because I am having to react to a change imposed by PlusNet. Some support would be nice.

Thank you,
John
5 REPLIES
N/A

try sending a pm to ben or dt - i am sure they will chase it up for you
Ben_Brown
Grafter

I've answered your ticket.
starfry
Rising Star

Thanks Ben for answering my ticket.

I did ask a load of questions throughout the ticket which the support people didn't bother to answer. I asked the questions because I like to understand how things work. If you could provide some answers to these (rephrased) I'd appreciate it:

1) Why do you only support "ccgi" and "www" as sub-domains pointing at the ccgi space ?

I ask as this has required me to go around editing frame forwards I otherwise would not have had to edit.

2) I used to have "abc.domain.com. CNAME cgi.johnlane.plus.com." (notice trailling dots) which used to work for the old cgi server. We've had to change to "cgi CNAME ccgi.plus.net." Why does the same format (eg "abc.domain.com. CNAME ccgi.johnlane.plus.com." not work for the new cgi server ? Also, I presume that the use of "cgi.plus.net." instead of "ccgi.johnlane.plus.com." means you are having to go in and do re-direction for each user, which means support needs to be involved whenever a domain set-up like this is required ?

I'm asking this one, partly out of curiosity, and partly to understand if this is a change I could have done myself if I had the correct information to hand.

3) what does the terms "basic" and "semiauto" mean in terms of domain records, as in the ticket that says "Web service changed from basic to semiauto ". Am I supposed to know what this means ?

4) I noticed that one of your colleagues changed my DNS record to "cgi CNAME ccgi.johnlane.plus.com." which did not work. This makes me think that some support don't understand how to configure the plusnet systems.

Thanks Ben your help is appreciated. I'm just one of those people that likes to know how things work so, given the right information, I can do things myself without having to trouble support, etc. :lol:
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hi,

1) Why do you only support "ccgi" and "www" as sub-domains pointing at the ccgi space ?

To support subdomains other than ccgi and www would require significant changes to the way in which our Domain Control System (DCS) and the CGI servers worked. The demand is quite low to justify the amount of work and time that would be required.

2) I used to have "abc.domain.com. CNAME cgi.johnlane.plus.com." (notice trailling dots) which used to work for the old cgi server.

That shouldn't have worked, the old CGI platform wasn't set up for that either.

We've had to change to "cgi CNAME ccgi.plus.net." Why does the same format (eg "abc.domain.com. CNAME ccgi.johnlane.plus.com." not work for the new cgi server ?

As i said it shouldn't have worked on the old one, so now functionality would have been there to do this on the new CGI.

Also, I presume that the use of "cgi.plus.net." instead of "ccgi.johnlane.plus.com." means you are having to go in and do re-direction for each user, which means support needs to be involved whenever a domain set-up like this is required ?

If you already had a CNAME for cgi.plus.net then a record would automatically be created for ccgi.plus.net when you activated the new CGI. New records would need support intervention.

3) what does the terms "basic" and "semiauto" mean in terms of domain records, as in the ticket that says "Web service changed from basic to semiauto ". Am I supposed to know what this means ?

There are three settings for the web service (which controls www.domain) and cgi service (which controls cgi.domain).

The three settings allow point the different records at Homepages (just www), CGI or a your own server and create the appropriate records in the apache configuration.

4) I noticed that one of your colleagues changed my DNS record to "cgi CNAME ccgi.johnlane.plus.com." which did not work. This makes me think that some support don't understand how to configure the plusnet systems.

cgi.domain can't be pointed at the new CGI server, just the old one. I would guess that the agent just missed out a "c" but will check into it for you.
starfry
Rising Star

Excellent. Thanks for taking the time to reply.