cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does deinterleaving affect packet loss?

Snarf
Grafter

I've added to my ticket that on a pathping that I've done, it's identified major packet loss going through one of the PN gateways. One of the CSC analysts has added to my ticket that this packet loss could be caused by interleaving being on, but of course turning it off can cause the line to go unstable.

So, can interleaving cause the amount of packet loss I've been seeing recently? This has caused major lag spikes, but obviously this is better than disconnects through line instability. But how often could the latter happen, given that I'm currently seeing about 2 lag spikes an hour at the moment?
8 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

The short answer is yes, it can.

The way a non-interleaved line works by sending each packet one at a time with one extra it for error correction. If the packet is lost or corrupted en-route then it is retransmitted.

An interleaved line batches several packets up and sends them all together and it will send several error correction packets. This means that if the packets or corrupted en-route up to a certain amount can be repaired without restranmission. Of course if the damage to the packets is too great it can't and all the packets need retransmitting which means that in severe cases you'll see large amounts of packet loss.

If it's happening twice an hour then it's likely that something is causing a massive noise spike twice an hour somewhere between your equipment and the exchange.
Snarf
Grafter

Ok, well I requested that deinterleaving be turned off. I'm not sure if they've actually done it yet, but my l8nc graph looks alot cleaner now (save for the fact that I had disconnection at 5pm). Think I've posted it before, but my l8nc graph is here.

I added the proviso to my ticket to turn it back on if things go horrible unstable Smiley
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

It normally takes 1-2 working days to change the interleaving status and can then take a couple more days to actually take effect. Should be no problem switching it back on, but again can take a few days.
Community Veteran

Hi Dave,

I raised a ticket (ID: 21398708 ) on the 24th Feb requesteing interleaving be turned off. I was told it take 14 days. After 14 days it was still on the line and in reply to my ticket I was advised that the work was still on going on my line. The most recent reply states that it should take 14 days total to remove. It is still in pace today.

If as your previous replie states interleaving status can take a couple of days to change why was I advised it would take 14 days and why is it still on the line 22 days after the request was made.

I was so pleased with the original response time to my ticket that I posted http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54122&highlight= O

Could you please advise on the conflicting advice I'm being given in relation to timescales for removal.

many thanks

A
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

A normal request to change the interleaving status takes 1-2 working days for the order to complete and then a further couple of days for the actual status to change on the line. If for example you put a request in on a Saturday the order will probably complete by Tuesday but might not take effect until the following Monday if it's taking towards the full amount of time so it isn't far off 14 days in this case.

On rare occasions it will take longer and sometimes the status change doesn't apply at all. In these cases it's best to reboot the router once a day for several days to cause a resync which should cause the interleaving status to be applied.
Community Veteran

I have been re-booting to no avail.

After a further posting in the contact ticket it has been passed to the correct team?

A
Community Veteran

@ amcclean

Hi there.

I am sorry this is taking longer than it should.

I have checked on ECo and can see that we have asked for interleaving to be turned off on your line more than once and as yet BT have not actioned this.

I will have a chat with the Broadband Operations Team Leader tomorrow morning and hopefully get this escalated and indeed sorted.
Community Veteran

Many thanks.

Most of my changes by BT have taken place on a Wednesday for some reason so hopefully BT will fix it tomorrow.

I Take it there is nothing on my router that would force the interleaving on.

A