cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone at Plusnet know whats going on with Maxdsl?

N/A

I recently raised a ticket after my 10 day period (although I have now noticed this has been increased to 14) regarding an issue with the difference in speeds that I was receieving. My exchange is "Green" and so aren't any contention issues as far as they are aware but my speeds vary from 6Mb down to 512k. I rasied the question as to why this was happening and have been told that it was a problem with Plusnet and BT. Upon asking for an update I was then told that this is the way Maxdsl work. Talk about being confused.

Should our speeds vary this much, is this actually part of Maxdsl? or is there a problem somewhere either wtih BT or Plusnet?

I know the support team is busy with Maxdsl but its so annoying having different people answering the same ticket. I work as a developer for a communications company and our customer support staff see a fault through to the end, its only ever passed to another person to deal with within the team if they are on holiday, or off ill. This stops so much confusion.

Your original question 1:46pm, Monday 15th May 2006
[Support Wizard Journey] [Additional Information] Hi, I was wondering if Plusnet have recieved my Delta report from BT yet. I have now passed my 10 day period and and the speeds are varying from 2mb to just over 5mb. If so would be kind enough to let me know what speed my account has being set for. The BT line checker says i should be able to support 6.5 to 8mb but i suspect this will not be possible. A further question I have is.. Is interleaving turned on, on my account, if so could this be removed please if possible. Many thanks for your help at this busy time. Michael Dresser.

Link:CUAremoved CSC Agent 2:48pm, Monday 15th May 2006
Dear Mr Dresser,
We have received a delta report from BT regarding the regrade of your line and from this we have profiled your account for speeds of upto 8Mbps.

However, if you are seeing fluctuations in speeds, then it may be useful to complete some speed tests using the BT speedtester account.

Please see the following link for further details in how to compete these tests:

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27

Interleaving is on by default, however if you wish to have this turned off then we can submit a modify order on your line. Please note, that Interleaving is switched on as this will make the connection more stable. Turning this off may cause your connection to become less stable.

Regards,
Link:CUAremoved
To administer your account and for all your help and support requirements visit http://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html

Your comment 9:17am, Wednesday 17th May 2006
Hi,

I havge performed some speed tests at different times over a period of a few days at different times of the day. the results varied. Whats suprises me is that the speed esitimator from BT says "Our tests also indicate that your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 6.5Mps up to 8Mbps". Below i have included the dates and times of tests, and my line stats. I have to say I am a little confused as to why I aren't reaching the max potential for my line. All through the 10 day test period the only disconections I had were when i re-booted the router. No error were reported by my router as to data loss.

Many Thanks for your time and help (I know your all very busy).

Michael Dresser.

Speedtest results:
15th May 2006 – 19:51
The speed test has completed on test server speedtester1.nat.bt.com for user 01845522674 and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of
3053 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

15th May 2006 – 23:28
4757 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

16th May 2006 – 12:40am
1029 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

17th May 2006 – 00:06am
4493 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Netgear DG834GT
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 15.5 db 11.0 db
Noise Margin 16.0 db 23.0 db

Link:CUAremoved CSC Agent 9:28am, Wednesday 17th May 2006
Dear Mr Dresser,
You have a MAX dsl connection. The first 10 days with MAX dsl the connection will be very hit and miss. One day you may have 8mb, the next 512k while the system obtains the Maximum Stable Rate (MSR) of your connection. This is done to ensure that when you do use the connection after the initial 10 days that it is stable and fast, the perfect blend of the two. We cannot guarantee a perfect 8mb connection. Your line speed is dependent on many factors, line quality being most important.

Regards,

To administer your account and for all your help and support requirements visit http://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html

Your comment 9:51am, Wednesday 17th May 2006
Hi,

In my original question I had already stated that I was passed day 10. My router has always synced at the same speed 8128.

Thanks

Michael Dresser.

Your comment 5:12pm, Wednesday 17th May 2006
Hi,

Whilst I realise you are all busy, could I please have an update on this.

Many thanks for your time.

Michael Dresser.

Link:CUAremoved CSC Agent 3:18am, Thursday 18th May 2006
Dear Mr Dresser,
There is currentl yan issue with the speeds customers are getting on our netwrok. This has been raised as a problem and we are awaiting further updates regarding this.

Regards,

Your comment 1:14pm, Monday 22nd May 2006
Hi,

Have there been any further developments on the above problem ? Who is at fault, BT or Plusnet ? and when can we expect a resolution ?

Many Thanks for your time.

Michael Dresser.

Link:CUAremoved CSC Agent 1:18pm, Monday 22nd May 2006
Dear Mr Dresser,
This should be resolved shortly and it is both ourselves and BT that are looking into this issue.

Kind Regards,

Your comment 1:35pm, Thursday 25th May 2006
Hi,

Has a date been set to get the above issues fixed by? Has BT or Plusnet made any headway with the problem.

Many thanks for your time.

Michael Dresser.

Link:CUAremoved CSC Agent 1:39pm, Thursday 25th May 2006
Dear Mr Dresser,
We are currently aware of a number of issues affecting Customers who have recently been moved to BT's IPStream Max product.

Whilst a small number of genuine problems exist, most issues reported to us are in fact no cause for concern and are instead due to the way the product is designed.

Please be aware that it is common for Customers to experience periods of instability within their first 14 days service on the new product. Further information regarding IPStream Max can be found on our website:-
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/getready.shtml?link=suptop5_bb1

During the life of your product BT will periodically alter your download speed to what they consider your line to be capable of at the time. This can happen due to fluctuations in noise and the consequent reductions or improvements to the quality of your line as a result of this.

You can check what your current speed is here:-
http://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate

From time to time your equipment may report a significantly higher sync rate than the speed displayed on the above webpage. This is not necessarily an issue as it can take BT a number of days to upgrade your download speed after a period of deterioration. In these instances we suggest you reboot your equipment once a day for a period of 5 days and report back if you are still having problems.

Please note that if BT have not yet set your download speed the value on the above page will be set to 2000 by default. There is a problem that BT are aware of whereby certain Customer's are not having their download speed set even after the first 14 days service. BT have endeavoured to have this fixed for all affected Customers by early June. If you are one of these Customers and you continue to have problems after this date then please contact us so we can raise the issue with BT on your behalf.

Regards,

Your comment 2:16pm, Thursday 25th May 2006
Hi,

Many thanks for your reply but it not really what i asked and i do feel that there is a problem with my connection either from the BT side or Plusnet side.

I have added some comments to your reply, they can be found in the ().

Many Thanks

Michael Dresser

We are currently aware of a number of issues affecting Customers who have recently been moved to BT's IPStream Max product.
Whilst a small number of genuine problems exist, most issues reported to us are in fact no cause for concern and are instead due to the way the product is designed. ((Are you saying that my problem is no cause for concern, as i feel they are as my speeds at times are well below what they should be))

Please be aware that it is common for Customers to experience periods of instability within their first 14 days service on the new product. Further information regarding IPStream Max can be found on our website:-
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/getready.shtml?link=suptop5_bb1
((I am have already passed day 14 which was stated in an earlier question related to this ticket))

During the life of your product BT will periodically alter your download speed to what they consider your line to be capable of at the time. This can happen due to fluctuations in noise and the consequent reductions or improvements to the quality of your line as a result of this.
You can check what your current speed is here:-
http://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate
((My router has always synced at 8000, and never has never altered or dropped a connection, line stats never change and are included in an earlier email))

From time to time your equipment may report a significantly higher sync rate than the speed displayed on the above webpage. This is not necessarily an issue as it can take BT a number of days to upgrade your download speed after a period of deterioration. In these instances we suggest you reboot your equipment once a day for a period of 5 days and report back if you are still having problems.
((I have repeatedly tried this to no effect))

Please note that if BT have not yet set your download speed the value on the above page will be set to 2000 by default. There is a problem that BT are aware of whereby certain Customer's are not having their download speed set even after the first 14 days service. BT have endeavoured to have this fixed for all affected Customers by early June. If you are one of these Customers and you continue to have problems after this date then please contact us so we can raise the issue with BT on your behalf.
((Plusnet have already recieved my DELTA report as stated in an earlier email from yourselfs. I am still suffering speeds ranging from a 512 connection upto 6mb connection (speeds obtained using the BT speedtester) This is not what i am paying for and am feeling increasingly let down. I have also checked my local exchange and as far as BT are aware there are no contention problems))

Link:CUAremoved CSC Agent 2:28pm, Thursday 25th May 2006
Dear Mr Dresser,
MaxDSL works in such a way that it manages your connection based upon the connection quality. If there is a reduction in quality then the speed is dropped to compensate to avoid any loss of data. If the line quality stays good three days then the speed will be raised. To help in this matter it is advised that you reboot your router at intervals over a 3 day period.

Regards,

Your comment 9:15am, Friday 26th May 2006
Hi,

Thanks for the reply but I am even more confused. Some of you are telling me there is problem with yourselfs and BT (added below) and that its been looked into, and others are telling me that its the way Maxdsl works. Who is correct ? I am so confused, I cannot believe that my speed should vary from minute to minute from a stable 6Mb connection down to 512k connection. At least with the 2Mb is was constant. I have other friends who are on Maxdsl with other providers who have told me there speeds are constant and do not waver

Dear Mr Dresser,
There is currentl yan issue with the speeds customers are getting on our netwrok. This has been raised as a problem and we are awaiting further updates regarding this.
Regards,

Dear Mr Dresser,
This should be resolved shortly and it is both ourselves and BT that are looking into this issue.
Kind Regards,

I realise your all very busy, but thanks for your time.

Michael Dresser

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): CSA names removed. Please dont post these details as per the rules]
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If you are getting poor speeds from the BT speed test when you've changed your login in the router to the BT login it's down to exchange contention. The data shown in the exchange checkers is often weeks out of date so I would ignore it being shown as green.

I see you have a wireless router. Are you running the tests from a wired or wireless connected PC - a friend of mine has the DG834GT and his laptop was getting not much more than half the speed of his wired PC. He also found that changing the MTU in the router from the default up to 1500 made a big difference.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

@Dresser

Classic - this lot should be politicians, never an answer to the question and they really haven't got a scoobie as to what is happening. I'm in similar discussions with the several CS agents, what a nightmare - they do not read the friggin' contact tickets, I think they skim through for keywords then send back a stock repsonse based on that. What was once a great ISP is definitely turning into a shower of c**p...and they have the nerve to launch a bundled telephone package too :roll:

HEY PN GET REAL AND SORT OUT THE CURRENT ISSUES FIRST...
Slipperymack
Grafter

I too have raised 3 tickets in the 25 days since I was MaxDsl'd in respect of my poor download speed. Not once have I had a reply to any of my specific questions in the tickets. It almost as they copy and paste No. 1 reply then if you ask a further question you then go to copy and pasted No.2 reply etc. etc. and never get a specific reply to a question. I currently have an open ticket which I am not going to close until I get a satisfactory reply or expalnation as to what is
happening. Evil

Talk about being treated as mushrooms!!!!!!!
N/A

I posted a ticket regarding ADSL Max, as my modem has been synching at 8128/448 consistently since 9th May (and probably before, but I was away on holiday). The reply came back that I have opted out of LLU?!!
manero
Grafter

I have no restrictions on my account, but everytime peak hours kick in my speed drops like a stone.

At the moment 219.50kbps. Rubbish.
N/A

Appologies for not removing the customer support team names. My bad.
N/A

No worries Michael.

Its a frequent and easy mistake.
N/A

I (and I suspect quite a few others) have the same problem.

Has anyone heard any news about the problem that PlusNet and BT are working on ?

I'm getting a bit frustrated with paying the same amount as I was for a 2Mb connection (which worked fine) for a supposedly 8Mb connection which I've never seen go over 4Mb despite having always had my router sync at 8000+.

Frankly the most annoying thing is not getting any information from PlusNet.