cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Plusnet Think We're Stupid?

N/A

I was informed of the 'unavoidable' increase on the subscription charge for the lite user. This seems to be taking the mickey as, if they have more people using the service, it also means they are earning more revenue. Surely this would cover upgrade costs.
But the biggest joke was when I received my notice of payment. Usually they tell me the precise amount they will take out. THIS time they do not mention the cost. THEN after the £10 instead of £9 has been taken out, they then send another e-mail saying that 'THEY HAVE TAKEN' that £10 .
Do they think I am so stupid as to not register that this month's cost wil be the higher one?
Not to worry, my connection is so rubbish, as soon as a cheaper ISP is available for my light use , i'm OFF!!!(perhaps they could introduce a loyalty discount; they might need to at this rate)
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

perhaps they could introduce a loyalty discount; they might need to at this rate

PlusNet already do.

Chris
N/A

Loyalty discount? Never heard of it.
stevie.
N/A

Think he means the 'My Referals' scheme located under 'My Account' on the left of the screen... http://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=mydiscount_static_info
N/A

IMHO, My referals and loyalty discounts bear no relation to one another and, shouldn't be confused.
Stevie.
Ianwild
Grafter

Hi,

The reason for the price increase is simply that at £8.99 a month the product was unviable - The more people that joined the more unviable it became. This wasn't the case originally, but has become so as the real cost of providing Unmetered access has increased and the usage profile of our Lite customers changed.

We should tell you how much we are going to bill in all emails relating to billing. If you can forward me a copy of the email which didn't have the price, or post it here, I will ensure that the issue is resolved - We didn't change anything deliberatly as far as I know.

With regard to the quality of the Connect Lite product, this is an issue we are addressing at the moment and as I posted in the other recent thread on this matter, we are looking to implement a solution within the next 7 - 10 days...

Regards,

Ian
N/A

E-mails in Denial

Thank you for your response Ian(ME??). Here is the transcripts as follows:-

FIRST IT WAS (02/10/03)

Dear customer,

re: username rockianuk

We hope that you are enjoying Plus.net Connect Lite User account and finding our services of exceptional value. This is just a brief note to let you know that we will be taking the next subscription payment for your Plus.net Connect Lite User account on 2003-10-05.

THEN CAME (05/10/03)

Dear ***********
Username: rockianuk

We write to confirm that we have taken payment for the sum of £9.99
which represents the period beginning 2003-10-05 payment regarding your
Plus.net Connect Lite User account.

SEEMS LIKE THEY THINK I NEED SOFTENING UP TO THE INCREASE!
(Sorry if I have been harsh: overall it's not such a bad service. I just felt a little insulted by this transparent woolling over.)
Community Veteran

This is the format the emails have been in for months. I have all my emails right back to Febuary and the initial email entited "Notification billing of your ADSL Home account" has never mentioned figures.

It's not until I get the email entited "Your ADSL Home Account" that actual amounts are mentioned.

PlusNet have nothing to hide on this, yes the price rise on the Lite User account is a shame but hiding it in the emails wouldnt really trick anyone into thinking that it hasnt happened.

Chris
N/A

Same here, the e-mails I receive about my account as with everyone I expect, don't mention the amount to be taken prior to the transaction taking place but as has already been said, the confirmation of amount(s) being taken after the event does mention this. To my reckoning, nothing has changed for several months as Chris has said.
Ianwild
Grafter

OK,

Thanks for this chaps. I will look into it - I clearly had a misunderstanding about how the system worked. I suspect this is not actually possible because of the way the billing system works and the fact that predicting future payments is very hard, especially where things like Referrals discounts are concerned.

What I want to do is make sure that the new billing engine, due for launch at the end of the year, has the relevant functionality to do this...

Cheers,

Ian
Community Veteran

It was the refferal system that introduced this change (over 18 months ago) if I recall correctly. Alot of people where wondering why the email read at full price and asked why refferals where not mentioned. I think changing it from what it is now would cause further confusion.

If you are looking for something to change on your billing emails how about changing it so I only get one copy of each mail instead of 2, I uderstand your reasons but most people stick thier account email or a domain hosted on PlusNet as the primary billing contact anyway.

Chris
Ianwild
Grafter

HI Chris,

Part of the new email suite we are building (John H is running the project) is to offer customers a choice over how we contact customers and what they want to know about - At that stage you will be able to start only getting one copy of the email...
Community Veteran

Excellent, that sounds like a really good idea.

Planned outages, virus alerts and stuff like that would be really good ideas for this type of opt in email system.

Chris
gosforth
Grafter

Letting users decide seems a very good idea. I also think that it is necessary to make sure that the subject line indicates the specific nature of the contents of the e-mail e.g. "advance notices of PlusNet charges", "PlusNet have debited your account", "PlusNet are unable to debit your account" etc.