cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does PlusNet block P2P?

N/A

Does PlusNet block P2P?

I have broadband plus £14.99 per month. Have problems connecting to gnutella network (limewire, bearshare etc) only seems to work every now and again other times can't connect at all.

Are plusnet blocking access?
10 REPLIES
N/A

Does PlusNet block P2P?

I don't know if they do block p2p or not but there is a facility in connection setting's where you can restrict or unrestrict P2P usage...

https://portal.plus.net/surf/
passer
Grafter

Does PlusNet block P2P?

There's an issue with P2P at the moment. See this link:

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48951

Potentially fixed in the next day or so.
Community Veteran

Re: Does PlusNet block P2P?

I have broadband plus £14.99 per month. Have problems connecting to gnutella network (limewire, bearshare etc) only seems to work every now and again other times can't connect at all.

Are plusnet blocking access?

The Plus account is not designed for PTP (peer to peer) downloading and will at most times be very slow for that usage.
If you want to use PTP seriously then you need to go for a PAYG account or a Premier acount.
N/A

What?

What does 'not designed' mean?

I've been on the 14.99 package for some months and Limewire was working like a dream - I am not a heavy user, only occasional. Then bang! about a month ago Limewire basically stops working altogether.

Not designed Pah! Either it works or it doesn't!
craigbrass
Grafter

Does PlusNet block P2P?

Although P2P works on Plus accounts, as John says, they were not really designed for anything above a small amount of usage. It works in a way that when the network is busy, P2P gets low priority meaning that at times it will be slow.

That said, there does appear to be a problem at the moment so leave it a few days and see how it is then.
N/A

Does PlusNet block P2P?

Thanks. I think you are right re problems as I've seen a number of posts moaning about this. From my point of view, the odd thing is that it did work like a dream, then suddenly it stopped working with unable to establish a reliable network connection.

I'll wait a few days and see.

Rgds
N/A

Re: What?

See my other post about DNS Problems or Bandwidth Throttling?

I think that plusnet are actually cutting the connection!!
Community Veteran

It is not designed for heavy or extended periods of downloading, 1) because of the speed limits and 2) because of the usage limits.

P2P does work on BB+ but it has speed limits imposed above and beyond what is normally applied for premier & payg products. So while it will work on BB+, it will be very slow, even more so during peak times, to the point where if you want to do a lot of P2P downloading, it is not practicle to do so on a BB+ connection.
N/A

So in other words +net throttle bandwidth…. +net are also restricting outgoing email and file size transfer when it would suit themselves!!

I know because I have suffered. Sad
N/A

Same old story

This has always been an ongoing issue with PN, P2P works for a while and then something is changed on PN's side of the network and its impossible to get a stable connection.