cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does BT need to get rental for DSL?

David_W
Rising Star

We just had the onetel chappie over, nice guy, something like £10 p/m line rental, and 99p per month for free calls after 6pm (which is nice) but its a line deal, they take over the whole lot, line retal etc.. so chucking BT out of the loop.

Guy phoned his boss who said it wouldnt effect my broadband, but I'd rather ask my ISP, will by broadband be effected by switching from BT to OneTel?

If so I'll have to consider cancelling OneTel (I aint changing ISP, even to save money :p)
6 REPLIES
N/A

Isn't 10 pounds per month more expensive than BT?
N/A

Hi,

Unless I am mistaken here I thought OneTel actually run there services by purchasing spare or low capacity off BT themselves. The problem you have here is about who has actual ownership of the line (the physical stuff) from a commercial point of view & its NOT yourself just to clarify that one. At the moment if its a normal BT phone line the ownership will obviosuly be BT but if you go with OneTel then it changes to OneTel.

**My intuitive sense here is that DONT DO IT!! I think you'd be letting yourself in for much difficulties and YES! IMO you would have trouble in future with your broadband service. Especially if you had problems & I say this becuase who and how would be able to help get them fixed, and YES! you do need too consider that angle if you want my opinion.

**This is the big game that many telecoms companies are all trying to do i.e. get your line off or away from BT but it may well be a wolf in sheeps clothing. i.e. sounds great when they're trying to sell you the service but buyer beware is my opinion.

Ivan
David_W
Rising Star

With this one, the line is still BT, but line rental and whatnot is Onetel. Anyhow, just called F9 customer service, 10 second call, they confirmed it shouldnt effect my DSL cause the lines are still with BT.

Btw, for post 2, its £10.25 per month line rental, including VAT, and 99p a month for all calls off peak to 01 and 02 numbers free.BT's cheapest line rental is £10.50 per month, not sure if that includes VAT mind you, so overall it "should" work out cheaper, and if it doesnt, Onetel will pay line rental/calls for a year Cheesy
N/A

Hi again,

Yes! your VERY wise to have checked this with F9 Plusnet prior to making any final decision, & Yes! what you say does infact make sense in a seemingly weird way. As I said before OneTel are still using BT lines & pipes so your line remaining in BT ownership does clearly sound right, the line rental is the bit that seems strange to me but thats not too say it wont be OK.

**If F9 say the ADSL service wont be affected then I would have to trust that.

**Also with the line still being in BT ownership then I would also assume that any line faults etc would have to be passed back to BT faults dept as per usual.

Ivan
N/A

I think I need to check my BT bills if I can find them, I was under the impression I was paying about £8.33 per month including VAT which is manually divided because I'm billed quarterly and not monthly.

But to be honest I've not given it much thought over the last 5 years as I don't use it for voice calls and it's just another bill that gets paid automatically by direct debit as I've got no choice if I want broadband.
N/A

they use ABR off bt's atm circuit(s)