Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you have a website with plusnet?

thehatman
Grafter

Simple question to others here:

What to do?

I want to create a website with emails to that domain.

Registration at 123-reg costs £2.95. With Plusnet organsiing it seems to be alot more (£50ish).

Also notes on this site say with PAYG (which is what I have) 3 domains are hosted free.

Is the right thing to do for me to register with 123reg or similar and then get plus to "host" the site.

It would just be a personal website , nothing very elaborate to start with. But I do need the email addresses to be the domain name.

I know this is basic stuff. New to me you see. Thanks for help Smiley

PS I held on the phone to PN customer sevices to discuss it but wasn't answred in about 25 minutes so gave up.
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

You need to be aware that with Plusnet you don't get separate mailboxes for the domain. So emails for fred@mydomain.co.uk end up in the same mailbox as fred@username.plus.com.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

I used UKREG because you have control over the DNS, bit I believe that this is the case with 123reg. Either way when you register the domain you can specify PN DNS's

Once registered you cannot use PN transfer wizard as this will move the IPtag and the billing will revert to PN. You need to raise a ticket a request hosting only and just specify the domain name. Emails sent using your new domain will be picked up from the mailbox with the same alias. i.e fred@yourdomain.co.uk will go to fred@username.plus.com
thehatman
Grafter

Thanks for the quick replies. Smiley

Am I correct in thinking that if I register with 123reg or ukreg after that (on PAYG) plusnet hosting my site is free.

I don't mind about emails ending up in the same box. But i'd really like to dump my current PN username/id and go for a new domain name/email id.

If I've got you right i'd still have my current username but I could keep it in the background?

Sorry if this is a bit garbled.
thehatman
Grafter

Anyone from Plusnet here to tell me the costs etc?

Tried to call but your phone service doesn't answer the phone.
Community Veteran

I used UKREG because you have control over the DNS, bit I believe that this is the case with 123reg.

Confirmed, I use 123-reg

Chilly
thehatman
Grafter

Am I correct in thinking that if I register with 123reg or ukreg after that (on PAYG) plusnet hosting my site is free?
N/A

Yes hosting is free as with BB PAYG you can have 3 domains.
thehatman
Grafter

Thanks all. Much appreciated. Smiley

Beginner at setting up a site. Want basic but high standard.

Any other comments appreciated.
vic_newey
Grafter

My .co.uk is registered with Easily.co.uk & they include a free Google listing in as much as if anyone types in my web address then it will appear on the first google page with a mention of Easily .com which is good enough for me !

I have selected domain forwarding with 'masking ' & this means that anyone who types in www.vicnewey.co.uk will be led to my plusnet webspace but it will still say vicnewey.co.uk on the page header
long-gone
Grafter

I bought my domain name from 123reg many years ago and forward it to my web space at plusnet. It works without problems.

123reg do a system with emails where you can forward selected addresses and have the rest bounced - handy if you get hit by spammers.

It has all worked extremely well from the 123reg end. In fact with all the plusnet problems recently, I have been thinking of transferring everything to them/webfusion/pipex.
N/A

www.dreamhost.com with the promo code '777' get's you 20GB space and 1TB bandwidth per month (increases monthly), and a free .com registration for only $7.77 per year (under a fiver)

I host www.xbox247.co.uk there
N/A

I'm not sure how many will want to spend upwards of 50 quid a year ($7.77 per month) when they could get a hosting package for US$30/year giving 1 GB web space and 10 GB/month traffic, able to host as many domains as they want... (Check Ebay for such deals)
N/A

Post edited to reflect the fact that it's $7.77 per year
N/A

I assume that's only a promotion for the first year, and subsequently you'll be paying US$ 7.95/month as per DreamHost's front page (?)

edit: Just did some checking and saw a comment "Have not seen complaints about DH for over a month now" on a hosting forum...

So they must be doing something right (I've no axe to grind about them, just didn't know it was $7.77 a year).