cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do i need a MAC key

N/A

Do i need a MAC key

Hi all i just wanted to know if i move to a cable provider for my internet do i still need a MAC KEY.

Many Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Do i need a MAC key

Are you using the cable connection for the internet or a phone line? If cable, no you don't need a MAC because ADSL is not compatible with cable and you can't migrate between the two.

If you are moving but staying with an ADSL connection on your cable companies phone line then it depends on whether they are using BT IPstream (unlikely) or LLU connections as a MAC is only needed for those kinds of migrations.
N/A

Do i need a MAC key

I am on ADSL with plusnet but was thinking of switching to a cable provider i just wanted to know if i need a mac key.
N/A

Do i need a MAC key

You only need MAC keys to move from one BT ADSL product to another. Some (rair) LLU companies will need/accept MAC keys but it's still ADSL to ADSL.

Cable broadband uses a completely different technology and line so no MAC code needed, but you may have to pay PN for the connection fee, modem (if you took the "free" one they offered) and any outstanding contract amounts (if you signed up on a 1 year minimum contract).