cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do i have 4meg connection

mcguinness58
Grafter

I migrated over form freeserve becuase they were charging me £27.99 a month for 512 (how disgusting) about 2 weeks ago. But then all the prices got changed with plusnet and rather than downgrading my monthly fee i was upgraded in speed. I am currently using the 2meg service but my account summary says i am using the 4meg service...is this correct? do i have the 4 meg service? and will i have to reset my router like i did before to get the upgrade?

Thanks
18 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

The 4MB service is not yet available.

You can either raise a ticket and downgrade to the up to 2MB for free or wait until the 4MB connection is available.

If you downgrade for free and later upgrade to 4MB or higher there will be a charge to upgrade.
hillers
Grafter

Have a look in your router settings to see what your down rate is and do a speed test through your PN connection settings.

It might be that since you were paying nearly £30 a month with freeserve, PN might have set up your account to 4mb premier. But there is not any 4mb or 8mb rollouts until september at the least.
mcguinness58
Grafter

well when i migrated over to plusnet they stuck me on a 512 temp connection until my line was upgraded by BT. Then i was informed that the line had been upgraded and that my 2meg service was available. I tested it and only seemed to transfer at 60k max, i then reset my router which solved my problem and was then transfering at about 220k. Its just that my account summary says i do have the 4meg connection but does this just mean that im waiting for it? by the way this is only my 1st post and i cant believe how fast the responses were!!! so thank you for that

thanks
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Yes this just means you are waiting for 4MB. You don't have to do this and can downgrade for free to the up to 2MB package, however if you tke this option and then upgrade at a later date there will be a charge for this upgrade.
LiamM
Grafter

I assume you have been migrated into the £29.99 package then?

You might want to downgrade to £21.99, 2Mb package as 4Mb is quite a way off yet, and the savings you will make will more than cover the cost of an upgrade later on.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Or he could be on the £24.99 Broadband Plus account...
mcguinness58
Grafter

since i'm only using a 2meg plus connection will i only be charged 14.99 and then be charged 24.99 once the 4meg is available? sorry for all the questions but i really am getting quite confused!

thanks
N/A

Yes this just means you are waiting for 4MB. You don't have to do this and can downgrade for free to the up to 2MB package

Are you saying that the people that migrated to Plusnet because they wanted a higher price product that never came into existance, are still paying the higher price ?
How ethical is it to attract new customers, withdraw the product before it's launched and let them keep paying for it ?
And then justify this by saying that now the extra price is for a faster connection that is not available yet, and wont be for sometime, perhaps not even this year. And depending on their line condition, they may never get.
Surely this honest thing would be to charge them for what they are getting, not charge them for something they can't and may never get ?
The mind boggles

The Plusnet of old would not have done this trickery. When I joined Plusnet, BT knocked £1 off its monthly charge to ISP's. PlusNet passed this saving on to all customers, old and new straight away. Thus building up the much deserved great reputation PlusNet held. A reputation that PlusNet seems willing to sell for some quick money.
mcguinness58
Grafter

this is what i want to know myself! my account summary currently says broadband plus upto 4MB £24.99 which isnt available for a few month even though the actual product i am using at the moment is Broadband Plus upto 2MB £14.99, so when it comes to the next payment at the end of the month am going to get charged 24.99 for 4MB and a product i am not even using!! if so then i think im going to downgrade so that i dont get charged for something im not using!

Thanks
Alecto
Grafter

It's the up to bit that is the key in up to 4Mb.

Some people think that Pn shouldn't really be charging you yet for a product that isn't available, and premier customers also can pay the 4 or 8Mb rates now, even though the product may not be available for many months, or their line may not support it.

It would be sensible to downgrade to the 2Mb product with its lower monthly charge and then pay the upgrade fee of £14.99 if and when the higher speed arrives.
N/A

i think im going to downgrade so that i dont get charged for something im not using!

PlusNet's lack of communication on this subject is obscene. If they are to be believed, you (and the rest of us) should shortly be receiving an email to outline all the new products and prices.

Simon
N/A

Raise a ticket and change your account to the Premier 2mb. It will cost you 21.99 a month.

:idea: Place all the monthly savings you make into a high interest savings account.

Wait until notification of the faster 4mb speeds and then pay a one off fee of 14.99 'at that time' to upgrade your line.

Job done Cool

Rich
N/A

Some people think that Pn shouldn't really be charging you yet for a product that isn't available

I can't imagine that there is anyone who thinks they should, except them that came up with the idea.
Alecto
Grafter

Plusnet shareholders will no doubt think it's a good idea, though if I were one of those, I'd go to the AGM and complain about the company's reputation going downhill through sharp practice. This will certainly cost them more in the long run than they gain in the short term.