cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Plusnet Really Care

N/A

Do Plusnet Really Care

No announcement that they are currently looking into the changes made today, for PN must have at least tested the network changes they were about to make?

This just seems like yet another PN way of choking the bandwidth to save money for share holders.

Well done PN
10 REPLIES
N/A

Do Plusnet Really Care

Of course PN tested the changes first - this was in relevent service notices.

"Choking the bandwidth" is probably a bad way of putting it - "Reallocating the bandwidth" is better.

Basically, light users shouldn't have to suffer slow speeds because of heavy users, so PN have shaped the traffic appropriately.
N/A

Do Plusnet Really Care

Heavy users such as myself pay for the privilege of using the bandwidth that is allocated.

If this truly is the way PN see there business model succeed then it’s a sad day.
N/A

Do Plusnet Really Care

Light user, heavy user, what the hell does that matter, we are all paying customers.

I drive 1200+ miles PER WEEK (my job) but I pay the same road tax and insurance as everyone else....
ceridwen
Grafter

Do Plusnet Really Care

Basically, light users shouldn't have to suffer slow speeds because of heavy users, so PN have shaped the traffic appropriately.

If you only download a GB of P2P a month, and then a few MB of e-mails/web-browsing you are a light user - and yet as a result of PN's recent actions you will be suffering slow speeds despite not being a heavy user!

Matthew
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Do Plusnet Really Care

Light user, heavy user, what the hell does that matter, we are all paying customers.

I drive 1200+ miles PER WEEK (my job) but I pay the same road tax and insurance as everyone else....

On average I pay around £20 per week for petrol. Are you saying that you are paying the same or do you use more and therefore pay more?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Do Plusnet Really Care

I'd disagree there, if you really do 62,000 miles a year, then you'll certainly have a higher insurance premium than someone who does 6,000. You'll also be paying far more for your fuel.

Maybe thats the answer? Instead of BB+, BBPremier, etc, PN should instead have several accounts: PAYG w/ 1GB included, PAYG w/ 5GB included, 10GB, 20GB, 30GB, etc. and scrap premier. Then people just pay for what they use. At the moment, PAYG is only suitable upto 10GB, after which the next product is Premier (unless you want the far more restricted BB+). Maybe if they had products that supported 10GB per month for less than Premier, more people would use that instead. The heavy users would then use the new premier package, which could allow 100GB per month for something like £49.99.

After that small amount of restructuring, PN would get more money and could purchase more bandwidth as a result.
N/A

Do Plusnet Really Care

Using cars and fuel in relation to this is not a valid comparison to begin with, but at least if you pay for £20 worth of petrol that is what you get, and not 2 litres of cooking oil!!!!! The fact is that we as users are paying for a service which is frankly appaling, and spreading bandwidth to web browsing only is not necessary. ISDN home highway was more than adequate for browsing. The whole point of having a ADSL connection is to improve download speeds fro large files. The massive growth in broadband would not have occured if it werent for file sharing, people require this service and signed up for a service which promised this and more. I for one did not sign up for premier expecting to have my service crippled. I have never yet gone over my 20 gig limit either. At this rate we would be lucky to get 4 gig. As far as I can see there simply is no defence for the current state of play at PN, the whole experience is simply appaling and I am glad I have migrated from today. Good luck to all of you who choose to tough it out though. Six years was my length of service so I would be classed as a veteran.
N/A

Do Plusnet Really Care

Just to back up my comments...

Your original Question 4:08pm, Thursday 28th September 2006

[Support Wizard Journey]
[I have been billed incorrectly]
[Billing - Incorrect or query]
[Additional Information]
My bill is once again incorrect. I have cancelled my home phone account and also paid the £20 charge twice. Please amend my payment before the direct debit is taken.

This question still remains unanswered despite several updates to it, unbelievable... glad im out of here.
N/A

Do Plusnet Really Care

Im a heavy user, but then id expect my £66.99 a month to cover that...nope...they dont even want the premium payers.

Shop around folks, only thing that talks is money, we are ironically wasting bandwidth with our views and concerns on this message board....
N/A

Do Plusnet Really Care

Yeah, I see your point. Just one thing, off topic, the mileage you cover does not affect your insurance premium by any great deal. I have actually had cheaper quotes with some companies saying I do a high mileage. Another thing, I have got 9 points, 3 speed cameras, that does not affect insurance either, they told me speeding points don't matter.

Anyway, off at a tangent there.
I notice nobody mentioned the road tax..... Same all round no matter what mileage you cover.

Back to the point in question, I'd say I was a light user of internet. I would be a heavy user I suppose if I didn't get so many disconnections downloading torrents and on youtube. Sick of them.