cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Plus net do manual speed regrades?

N/A

Hi,

I've recently migrated to Plus net, and was regraded to 1Mb.
The BT line checker (http://www.bt.com/broadband) gives the maximum speed of my line as 1Mb, but the noise and attenuation stats from my router (Solwise SAR-110) seem well below the 2Mb limits.

Is it worth submitting a ticket (and possibly paying the 15 quid again) to see if they'll do a manual regrade?

Cheers
12 REPLIES
N/A

Hi and welcome to the boards.

Plus Net will normally request a manual upgrade if you want and there is a chance it might succeed. However BT's decision will be final.

If you are upgraded to 2mb on an iffy line BT may not be as quick to resolve connection issues though.
Community Veteran

Re: Do Plus net do manual speed regrades?

Do you mean within the 2MB limits? There's no point if your figures are outside the limits unless they are only just outside, in which case it may work it may not. If this is the case raise a ticket pointing out you were regraded to 1MB but your router shows you as being capable of 2MB, also include your line stats on the ticket as PN will need to prove this to BT. I don't belive you will be charged for this but may be wrong. Just a point to note the figures in BT's database are very often wrong sometimes allowing 2MB where it is not available but more often being too conservative saying you can only get 512k/1MB when in fact you can get 1/2MB!
N/A

you could still be 2 far from the exchange, and attentuation and noise margin doesn't always reflect this. If BT thinks it's best for you not to be on 2MB, you should leave it that way. Better to be on a slower service than an unstable one.
Community Veteran

But as I have said above BT are often wrong.
N/A

Re: Do Plus net do manual speed regrades?

Just a point to note the figures in BT's database are very often wrong sometimes allowing 2MB where it is not available but more often being too conservative saying you can only get 512k/1MB when in fact you can get 1/2MB!

Would I be correct in saying that if one went with a LLU broadband provider, it might be possible to obtain a faster speed than what BT would decide?

I'm a bit puzzled myself with all these 43dB/60dB line attentuation limits for 1/2Mb. My router seems to report that my line can quite easily do a bit beyond 3Mbits (even with a line attentuation of 60dB) but PN have already said that a 2Mb regrade request would be rejected - the highest possible would be 1Mb.
N/A

The figures are well inside the limits set by BT (2Mb limit is about 45dB, my figures are below, but are around 20dB). I'm also around 0.5 miles from the local exchange.
I was basically wondering if BT just go on some figures they made up from locations, etc., or if they actually test the line each time.....

Sounds like its worth chasing up - anyone know if I'd be charged?!

Cheers

Taken from my Solwise SAR-110 (running at 1Mb):
Local Tx Power: 11.34 dB
Remote Tx Power: 17.82 dB
Local Line Atten.: 21.0 dB
Remote Line Atten.: 11.0 dB
Local SNR Margin: 35.5 dB
Remote SNR Margin: 29.0 dB
Community Veteran

I was basically wondering if BT just go on some figures they made up from locations, etc., or if they actually test the line each time.....

Sounds like its worth chasing up - anyone know if I'd be charged?!

I know they don't test each time they have a db with all the figures in - where the info came from though I don't know, acarr might know he is always ver knowledgable on BT.

I don't think you'll be charged but I could be wrong about 96% certain though.
N/A

2Mb limit is about 45dB

It's currently 43dB and BT are rigidly enforcing it because of bad experiences with unstable lines following borderline upgrades.
N/A

It's currently 43dB and BT are rigidly enforcing it because of bad experiences with unstable lines following borderline upgrades.

I knew it was somewhere around there!

However, even at 43dB, I'm still well below the limit!
N/A

Hi there,

As i said earlier. Submit a ticket and ask for the manual upgrade.
N/A

For info -
I submitted a ticket and Plus Net are happy to do a manual regrade, but want to charge me for it.

Mildly annoying, as I've only just shelled out the 15 quid for the original regrade.
Can anyone confirm that a failed regrade won't be charged for?
N/A

You shouldn't be charged for failed regrades.