cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I upgrade my package or move ISP

N/A

My current package with Plusnet is ADSL Home Surf which has served me well over the last 3 years. I have been having problems with FTP recently and this caused me to visit the Forums here to see if I could find any information as to why. I have now read ooodles of threads citing problems with FTP and P2P and now do not know what to do. My son (and I) play online games, I need to upload to websites and I don't want to be bothered with traffic shaping. Should I upgrade my account (has not worked for some) or just move ISP. I do not want to start a thread bashing Plusnet as I have until very recently never had an issue but would appreciate some advice. I am currently paying £18.99 a month.

Thanks in advance

Anthony
13 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Hi Anthony,

Looking at your usage, I reckon you would be better of on our PAYG product, which would see you paying similar amounts, but offering better speeds on FTP traffic.
N/A

Takes James advice

Anthony

James gave me this advice a couple of days ago and I moved to PAYG, it was completed in 2 days although the timing is related to your payment date (I think) - I now pay less then before, the ftp is very fast. As I understand it if you move and keep the same levels of payments as before you will not be charged a downgrade cost.

Richard
N/A

That was quick James. Will PAYG meet all my needs? I am concerned about what I have been reading regarding all the different types of traffic (silver, gold), off peak and peak times and how this effects speed. It all seems very confusing. I dont want to regrade, be tied in for 12 months and then find I have a problem with something else, I just want a simple solution.
Will I have to pay a regrade fee? If playing online games should I upgrade to maxDSL.

Apologies for all the questions but when I first took out broadband it was so simple.

Anthony
N/A

Thanks for your input Richard. It's early days for you then but can you envisage any negative points with the move to PAYG?

Anthony
Zathras
Grafter

Im pretty sure all contracts are monthly now.
N/A

That was quick James. Will PAYG meet all my needs? I am concerned about what I have been reading regarding all the different types of traffic (silver, gold), off peak and peak times and how this effects speed. It all seems very confusing. I dont want to regrade, be tied in for 12 months and then find I have a problem with something else, I just want a simple solution.
Will I have to pay a regrade fee? If playing online games should I upgrade to maxDSL.

Apologies for all the questions but when I first took out broadband it was so simple.

Anthony

I've been looking at this myself, it seems almost all traffic on pay and go is GOLD or there abouts, simply because you are paying for the traffic rather than it being included in your account.

All download between midnight and 8am are free.

As I've been advised your best to setup the 14.99 pay and go account and then maybe buy another 4gb of usage which would take you to 17.99 if I'm correct.

You'd just have to watch your downloads during the day thats all.
Zathras
Grafter

You need to make it so the account youre moving to is equal to or more than the price of your old account else you get charged for downgrading apparently(£14.99). Unless they waive the charge again :shock:
sophos9
Grafter

James, looking at my usage... would I be better off on PAYG?
James
Grafter

Your payments would be relatively similar, but performance should be better FTP wise.
N/A

No nothing negative

In answer to "can I see anything negative about PAYG" - it has only been 24 hrs so I can't honestly say, however it has fixed my problems - SmartFTP and my other ftp programmes are working very quickly. On the other Premier service is was, well we all know what is has been like I don't really need to spell it out.

I also changed to the phone package as well so all in all I am saving £16 a month on calls, line rental and broadband (I had Premier and now £15 a month PAYG).

However I am sure Plus net will fix the ftp speed issues on the other broadband packages soon, all I know is that I have never had such fast ftp uploads to my server before. So I am currently happy and glad I asked James advice on this.
Mand
Grafter

Anthony

Hi

PAYG has gold traffic at all times, as you pay for your usage per GB. There is no new contract, this will remain as it is before the change.

Also worth noting is free usage between midnight and 8am. Smiley

With regards to Max, in all honesty if you have a good solid 2MB connection I would personally stick with it. If you're particularly brave go for it! Smiley
N/A

Thanks for explaining Mand. Sorry to be a pain but on Sunday I requested an upgrade to Max. In light of what you just said could you cancel my request.

Many thanks

Anthony
James
Grafter

Hi Anthony,

Generally speaking you should notice an improved performance once the upgrade has been completed. In the earlier days of Max, there were a number of people seeing issues as that Mand has described, but I'd expect a solid 2mbps connection to give improved performance.