cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have the record?

broad97

Do I have the record?

I’ve just finished five weeks communicating with Customer Services after raising a question about ridiculously varying connection speeds.
I conducted lots of BT speed tests and screen captures and report writing for them on what I experience.
This morning, I was told “There is little we can do about this.” (So bye bye Plusnet)
Why am I so ****** off?
Well, I reckon I must have the slowest Plusnet speed test of all time – 20kbps (twenty).
It has been up to 5.2 mbps, so it can be okay. So why not sort it?
Can anyone beat 20kbps on an 8Meg system or such a wild variance?
Regards.

P.S. If you want a laugh, just read the note from Mr Ian (If you’re not happy, then we’re not happy) Wild, the Customer Communications Manager. It can be found after logging in under the heading Customer Support Centre Improvements!!
9 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

Do I have the record?

Hi there

Unfortunately this is the nature of MaxDSL. The speed is adaptive, theoretically meaning that you should always get the best performance from your line.

In practice this may mean that you experience very slow speeds, where previously you would have simply lost the connection. As line conditions do change from time to time your speed will also change. BT will not accept a speed fault unless you are experiencing sub 400k speeds outside of peak times. All the BT speedtests you completed recently indicated a higher speed.

It is worth noting that most other ISP's are also using MaxDSL for new provisions so it is likely that you would have the same issues elsewhere.
Community Veteran

Re: Do I have the record?

I’ve just finished five weeks communicating with Customer Services after raising a question about ridiculously varying connection speeds.

I have sympathy.

Did anybody with any relevent knowledge deal with your ticket, the most obvious clue would be they would have asked about interleaving state of your modem and/or suggested changing the 'noise margin' setting for your line.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Do I have the record?

m8 i know you will have tried everything and i dont want to tread on any toes here, but can i just ask a few questions here that may help you.....

when you say your getting 20 k speeds, exactly were and on what, ?

if you mean on P2P, software, then i may have the answer to your problem,
onviously if its not on p2p then ignore my post.

if it is p2p this is your problem......

you will have whats called "port blocking", meanaing in lamens terms, the software you are using will be blocking certain ports through your equipment, slowing your speed down to 20kps.

the reason i say this i learned about all this about 2 years ago when exactly the samething happened to me, my p2p was locked at 20 kps, and never moved.

as soon as i let my router forward the right ports it INSTANTLy went up to full speed.

i will just add however,

p2p in its self is VERY up and down, meaning i have seen speeds of 5k right upto 200k+, on the same download, this is perfectly NORMAL, and should NEVER be confused with slow speeds..
( its the BIGGEST problem most people dont realise)

, that p2p speeds are relevant to your UPLOAD speed, therefore your download speed will only reach the limits of your total uploads, (sounds real confusing but it aint)

anyway, if this is indeed your problem, the way past it,

is to get into your modem/routers settings (check manuals), and then allow the certain ports to be "forwarded"..i.e "azaurus" is "6881", and "bit comet ", can have its own changable one, (make sure you do some reading up on "port forwarding", as you can open the wrong types of ports alowing stuff in you dont want.there is a limit between 2 numbers, i cant remeber here as of now, but easy to find out.

it does sound hard, but belive me its easy once you read up.

basically your router/modem is closing a door to your internet, and you just need to tell it the doors number, is an easier way of descriing it.

hope this helps you m8, or others if not......if its not your problem i appologise and ignore.

toz
broad97

Do I have the record?

Hi toz,
Thanks for such a comprehensive reply, it’s very much appreciated.
The figure of 20kbps I referred to was the result of the slowest bandwidth speed test I had performed using the Plusnet speed test facility in the “Connection Settings” section. So I don’t think it’s my software. The same system has on one test produced a test result of 5.2mbps.
I have come to realise that I am never going to receive the consistently steady bandwidth speed I was lead to believe I would achieve. One of the many Customer Service people who I have been dealing with suggested I should be getting 5.5mbps. Unfortunately, he was one of 5 different people who have corresponded with me over the last 5 weeks and 16 comments. So you can see, it’s not just the varying connection speed I am annoyed about, but also the wasted 5 weeks of correspondence explaining all the problems and speed tests and reports etc. to be told WYSIWYG.
Shame that couldn’t have been their first reaction after the initial BT tests instead of leading me on with promises of “investigations” and better speeds.
Thanks again.
Regards.
N/A

Do I have the record?

Unfortunately this is the nature of MaxDSL. The speed is adaptive, theoretically meaning that you should always get the best performance from your line.

In practice this may mean that you experience very slow speeds, where previously you would have simply lost the connection. As line conditions do change from time to time your speed will also change.

Mand,

Are you saying that the level of MaxDSL performance is here to stay?

If not when are you are expecting it to get better?

I'm a home worker paying £25 a month for a 8mb 20:1 premier package and at times I'm finding difficult to do my job. Luckily it's as low as 480kps, I'd die if it were 20kps - and be unemployed!!

Is there any downgrade route back to the good old 2Mb technology without incurring a financial penalty?

Regards,
Gavin Jones
N/A

Do I have the record?

LOL same as i've been going through these passed few days.

Been on Max now for over 2 months without so much of a fault and a stable line of 7000, sometimes 7500 and 8000, but certainly rock solid at 7500.

Downloading at 825kb/s surfing the web at the same time and on teamspeak aswell. Up untill the 17th lots of line noise constant degredation of the line. To put me down as low as 4000 with an upload of 196 (router stats) No matter how many times i rebooted it would not budge any higher.

I use the phone and i can hear a swooshing like noise, sounds like 2 dodgy wires touching together. This only started happening since the 17th. I take the ADSL line out the face plate and the noise stops. tried without the faceplate on and in the test socket and line stats on the router do not change 1 bit.

No point in PN saying "try pluggin it into the master socket" the PC is right next to the socket/filter (ADSL nation the decent one) even tried the old v1-0 filter that BT provided me 4 year ago and that give worse line stats.

No matter what i tried with PN they give the same old copy and paste rubbish and try to just brush ya to one side, think we are all noobs and have no idea what the hell we are talking about.

Just like you my friend, i know full well what my line is capable of, just the fact that someone has definatly done something and made a right c0ok up. They're just to damn lazy to fix it.

Was tempted to call BT direct but all you get is some foriegn pakistani or indian woman or man that you cannot understand and they dont understand you.
broad97

Do I have the record?

Wow chamone, you get up early!!
Makes me feel better that I'm not the only one who has this experience, but lots of wrongs don't make a right.
Had a pm from another member who kindly suggested checking "Sky Broadband".
Coincidently, a letter arrived next day from them with the offer.
Looks the business:-
Free connection, free wireless router, free home installation and unlimited download at speeds up to 16Mb for only £10/month.
I know what I'll be doing!!

Regards,
Mand
Grafter

Do I have the record?

Hi

The replies we give are standard checks initially, progressing to more detailed ones.

As stated by the OP he can gain speeds of over 5MB, as this is the case BT will not accept a speed fault. The lowest speed on the BT test has to be below 400k consistently for BT to accept a fault.

If your speed drops all of a sudden, and is consistently slower than expected we can raise this, as this is more likely to be a line issue.

As a further aside, adding interleaving for a speed fault would make the matter worse, this is used for intermittent connection in the main.
newinvention
Grafter

Do I have the record?

I thought we were a bit disadvantaged out here in the sticks since I can only get 1mb, but I'm kinda glad I can't be "upgraded" now.