cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ditch Plusnet if you can,

N/A

Today my DD payment failed so CrapNet hijacked my browser immediately and without warning. I couldn't even check my bank account to see what the problem was.
Now I want to cancel my account and they are demanding 10 months subscription in order for me to do so and I didn't even have any equipment from them.
I should have stuck with Pipex !!
If you can leave this apalling company with their ever changingTerms and Conds then do so now.
Got a feeling they'll be losing a lot more customers in the near future.
22 REPLIES
N/A

You should get out of the ten months subs if you reject the T&C NOW, it gets you out of the contract, you will still have migration/defered fees.
N/A

essene say you do not agree with the new t&c and get out now.....if you do it before the end of tonight you will get out without having to pay the 10months...

you will however have to pay up for activation and modem cost if they were defered
N/A

Bassed on his statement above though, it would have been a migration.

With regards to hijacking browsers, this is actualy a very clever method of alerting people to a problem.

The alternatives to this would include outright blocking of your service, which could be more costly (the process of locating the support number and calling it, using slow dialup when you may not even have the details), or continueing with the service unaware of a problem until your connection is cut outright (involving a new activation).

At least you are fully alaerted to problems this way.
N/A

Thanks both !! I didn't have any equipment etc from them.
Have done what you advised. Hope I get a result.
Regards,

Justin.
Sandro
Grafter

At least you are fully alaerted to problems this way.

They are alerted to the problem within PN most likely. Apart from the fact that this kind of immediate disconnection is extremely RUDE and DISRESPECTFUL to customers,, it shows lack of positive approach on PlusNet side.

A couple of warnings would't be useful, just to let people some time to sort out the problem on their side - the disconnection might came if they ignore the email.

This kind of "failed" payment is quite common - I had 3 similar "failed" payments over 5 year period - the reasons are still unaccounted for since the account had more than enough funds. The first case was BTInternet, cutting me straight away after three years of being their loyal customer - which resulted in my being with another provider a couple of days later.

The second case happened with Freeserve three years ago : they politely asked me by an email to sort out the problem within, I think, a couple of weeks - which I did. My bank failed to give me any explanations to what had happened. That's is the way to do it.

Then the same thing suddenly happened with PlusNet a couple of months ago - was cut off without any warning. I initially thought that something gone wrong with the line or my modem. I honestly didn't expect this kind of treatment from a highly praised, at that time, Internet Provider and was VERY disappointed.
Any former British Telecome emploees on the Plus Net staff? :roll:

This practice is really very serious and undermines the image of the Company

Justin, I can easily understand your frustration.
N/A

During two previous payment problems (one residential, the other business - Both occured at the same time, due to the same payment details), we had no issues.

PlusNet didn't disconnect the line, but as noted above, hijack the connection.

When visiting webpages, you are redirected to a page on the portal, saying that payment had failed and providing the option to update payment details.

I am just wondering if they are not able to do this now (some network changes have taken place since this occured ot us).
N/A

undermines the image of the Company
I am sorry I think you should have said "undelines".
Sandro
Grafter

PlusNet didn't disconnect the line, but as noted above, hijack the connection.

When visiting webpages, you are redirected to a page on the portal, saying that payment had failed and providing the option to update payment details.

Yes, I think I shouldn't have used the word "disconnection" - technically speaking Smiley
Well, I still guess the jijackining the connection amounts (putting aside technilalities) to cutting off line since you have no access to any other services and, most important, one is unable to check his/her internet banking account..
I still think there is need for a reasonable gap between an email warning and the actual hijacking of one's connection.
Just one of wishes I would like to see introduced by NetPlus. Smiley
Sandro
Grafter

undermines the image of the Company
I am sorry I think you should have said "undelines".

:lol:
I am afraid I can't be that categorical.... still hoping....

PS Sorry, it looks like I've hijacked the thread ... Shockedops:
N/A

No thread hijacking in my eyes, it's very much related to what happened to the op.

one is unable to check his/her internet banking account..
I still think there is need for a reasonable gap between an email warning and the actual hijacking of one's connection.

I do actualy agree with this. However, if you know the secure address of the site, you should be able to get to it.

This isn't for the beginer though, i will admit.

Experiance with myself is that email goes ignored. Many people fail to monitor their postmaster addresses as required under the service conditions.
N/A

Thanks russica. I must admit I found this behaviour extremely annoying. I do all my banking online and it would have been the work of a moment to sort the problem out had I been allowed.

I've had failed payments to both NTL and Pipex in the last four or five years and they just sent polite reminders to which I was happy to respond.

PlusNet clearly view's its customers as "Bandwidth Thieves" and they'll do anything possible to prevent us actually using our feeble connections at the advertised rate !

Traffic shaping and browser hijacking are just the start I'm sure.
Sandro
Grafter

Experiance with myself is that email goes ignored. Many people fail to monitor their postmaster addresses as required under the service conditions.

Yes, I admit it is quite common to miss or ignore an email. But only when it happens the browser hijacking - after some pardon time - is justified. In which case there wouldn't be any ground to accuse Plusnet for doing that.

Essene, I am afraid that traffic shaping is just a nature of this kind of business for the company like Plusnet - they are struggling to survive and generate income in a very competitive market.. But an unexpected browser hijacking is just an annoying glitch .
I would say, in spite of many negative postings here I still like what Plusnet offers, and its little exras.
N/A

This has happened to a few people that i recommended to plusnet on more than one occasion that pay through DD. They had no warning email but were just disconnected. At least a warning email would have given them time to sort out the problem. Instead they had to ring plusnet, each of them having to wait on hold for at least 20 minutes before they were connected. this made me look bad for recommening them. And with all the recent changes to their usage policies, we're all off to another provider. they have put me on the 24/7 restrictions without any warning emails at all. I signed up with a company that said that there would be no download restrictions ever and now this happens.I have been with plusnet for a few years now and , until recently, couldn't sing their praises enough. but now it's gone beyond a joke. Evil

Goodbye Plus-net
Sandro
Grafter

Further to what I said above. It is not only a matter of good manners, but also has a significant financial effect: prior to the moment when it happened I had been going to recommend five new users to the PlusNet, three of them being in the process of migration and were going to join after my good review of PlusNet.

There is no need to tell you that I, very unwilling to be responsible for any would-be problems, withdraw my recommendations and the PlusNet lost five potential customers.