cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distance from Exchange and 8Mb Broadband

retep
Grafter

With 2Mb Broadband I currently get 1Mb due to the distance I am from the exchange.

When the exchange goes to 8Mb I would hope to get about 4Mb. Is this a fair guess or does the 8Mb service degrade more quickly with distance than 2Mb?

Peter.
10 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

With DSLMax its down to your SNR, where as BT limit regular ADSL based on distance and line attenuation. So it is possible that you'll get a higher speed than is currently possible.
N/A

Are there any rough figures or guidlines published by BT yet Jon?

so say xx and lower = xmb etc etc

Or is this what BT want to keep quiet and secret until the trials are finsished?

Regards,
JonathanW
Grafter

There's nothing official been published yet. But I know there's a few figures floating around on AG.
N/A

No worries Jon.

I guess any increase would be better than what is currently available and being used Wink
retep
Grafter

"So it is possible that you'll get a higher speed than is currently possible."

That doesn't sound to hopeful but thanks for those replies.

is there anyway I can check the SNR?
JonathanW
Grafter

It depends on the hardware that you are using, most routers and some modems will show you stats for the line, one of whichi will be SNR.
N/A

If you do have access to your line stats, then you can visit http://www.dslzoneuk.net/maxspeed.php and enter in your details. Seems fairly accurate, considering it gave roughly the same estimate as a BT engineer on ADSLGuide.org.uk.
N/A

Erm, I could be wrong here, but maxDSL is only ADSL1, so you shouldn't see any speed or range improvements (if your line struggles to reach 1M then it's not going to be any quicker).

ADSL2 and ADSL2+ should improve range and speed, but only the LLU companies are using this so far.
shellsong
Grafter

MaxDSL sets your speed automatically rather than manually and normally optimises to an SNR of 5-6 dB without slavishly obeying an attenuation rule of thumb
retep
Grafter

Thanks again for all replies.

I do have router/modem (a 3 year old Solwise SAR110) and I will dig out the manual and have a look to see my SNR (Signal Noise Ratio) if I can.

PS. To plusnet support, thanks for all the TLA's in your replies. Everyone of course nows what TLA means.

Three (or Two or Twenty?) Letter abbreviations of course, doesn't everyone know that?