cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disgustingly slow P2P

N/A

Disgustingly slow P2P

Aiiight guys....

Here I am, just upgraded to a 2mb connection. Great I think.
I am in a band and am in constant contact with over 200 other unsigned bands around the world. We all release choonz on a regular basis.

Sorry, I digress. Anyways, I use P2P to upload and download all our songs. Trouble is it is taking HOURS to download ONE song. 4 poxy megabytes is taking 90 minutes.

Can someone explain this to me in Lehmann's termsHuh
Surely it can't be contention....I have been with PN for 3 years. The 512k connection was fine, as was the 1mb connection I have just come off. I hit speeds of over 100k/s on my 1mb. Why doesn't my 2mb connection get over 10k/sHuhHuh

Also can someone give me the upload speed on my 2mb account pleaseHuh

Unhappy from Reading.
10 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Disgustingly slow P2P

The upload is the same for all speeds at present, 256kbps.

P2P shouldn't be that slow at all, however p2p performacne depends on many factors.

Is your line speed ok? Try a few BT Speedtests.

What sort of P2P applications are you using?

How many people are sharing the files?
N/A

Disgustingly slow P2P

Are you on the Plus connect or Premiere?

One of the reasons for you not getting the full 2mb could be that PlusNet have assigned you the wrong shaping profile like many others this is causing great trouble. Or perhaps you have "Surf" enabled which is an option found by going to: My Account / Connection Settings / Surf

Now this is something you can enable/disable. When it is enabled it slows all P2P traffic to conserve your bandwidth, when its disabled you should get your full connection.

The very last reason i can come up with is that your phone line cant support the full 2mb connection.
N/A

Disgustingly slow P2P

OK....lemme try and answer these questions.....

The files are shared by over 100 people.....not a problem.
The surf option is not activated.
Speed tests appear normal.
Using Edonkey.

Phone line should have been tested by BT and PN when I moved into the house not too long ago.

Please help guys......maybe it's my Edonkey settingsHuh
Anyone have a clueHuh
N/A

Disgustingly slow P2P

Not using a Plusnet connection yet but from experience the speeds obtained with EDonkey / Emule aren't usually that great. I usually find less than 20Kb/s cf. Bittorrent which can be as high as 130Kb/s on a one meg line.
N/A

Disgustingly slow P2P

Can someone explain to me what this "Shaping Profile" is pleaseHuh
N/A

Disgustingly slow P2P

The files are shared by over 100 people.....not a problem.

Even if this is the case it doesnt necessarily mean u get fast downloads.

Certainly from my experience even when this is the case download rates never get near 2mbit, and top out around 60~80k/s on most p2p networks, bit torrent excluded where up to about 180 on most torrents can be expected, if there New that is.

this isnt just on plus, seen it on :
Abel Gratis
Scotland Online
Telewest Blueyonder

ALl the same, i think u'll find in the maajority of cases its down to the network and ur share ratio.

still for an mp3 i would expect 10mins at most, 90mins seems a tad high. have u tried finding anther copy of that file from someone else? it may just be a dodgy download.

What p2p network do u use?
N/A

Disgustingly slow P2P

machine, a shaping profile is bascially this:

Settings applied to your account which limit speed of p2p traffice during heavy /peak times. HTTP is prioritised etc to improve browsing etc.

Premier has very light shaping
Plus has heavy shaping

it is possible for a Permier account to have a Plus Shapping Settings applied to it by accident. its happended before and is easily resolved

hope this helps
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Disgustingly slow P2P

Skydoc

Disgustingly slow P2P

Hi all

I have little to add to the above but have recently upgraded to Premier 2mb ADSL and since doing so I have had no torrent faster than 12k down.

Before I was downloading Linux Distros at 180 kbs now they report an estimated time to download of > 10 days.

Plusnet say that everything is OK with my connection and that traffic shaping should not make a difference but I have never seen such appaling speeds.

Added to this I have had no connectivity at all this week and have had to use dialup. Plus says that this is because BT are working on my exchange. BT wouldnt comment as they are not ''çustomer facing'' (no change there) and Plus say they wont be able to get back to me for at least 48 hours.

I have just had a long conversation with a very professional member of Plusnets staff who I actually felt rather sorry for. They seem to be having to answer huge numbers of support questions and he was rather fraught. Basically he said that the support team would get to it in their own time. He could give no information about the time it would take for one of their own staff to look at the problem but said that it was likely that BT would have to look at the problem and it was taking them in excess of 48 hrs to reply at the moment.

He was rather agressive (but who can blame him if he has to try and placate hundresds of dissatisfied customers all day) but eventually calmed down and promised to try and get this expedited.

I have to say that things have gone downhill in the last six months at Plus Net - and when that happens to an ISP you had better hope you have a large, friendly and dedicated support team who can sort your customers problems out for them or you will start to lose clients.

Sorry to rant - you never know it might actually get better !

Geoff.
N/A

Disgustingly slow P2P

Certainly Plus has definatly made a lot of changes around here, Some for the better, Some for the Worst, Some for 2 days just for the heck of it :/ so support will natuarally be busy for a month or so whilst people catch up with the news.

Hopefully if plus calm down and stop making changes for a while support should improve again. *hopefully *