cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussion - How we plan for and Buy capacity

N/A

this maybe a little off topic but 622Mbit pipes is little crappy for BT, in hongkong or soutn korea 1 customer would use the whole of that pipe and still need more (1GB Connection). Looking at it now, BT really needs to speed up.
28 REPLIES
N/A

Please use this thread for disccusing this announcement by Stew Norriss earlier on today.

Thank you.
N/A

So basically we have to blame BT's pricing policy for all this nonsense.

Just so happens I'm moving house soon, and my new exchange has two LLU providers... I'll be going with one of them.... whatever it takes to get away from BT!!

With regard to the above document by Stew Norriss, I still feel that all the hard work that is being done to restrict the network and "improve the internet experience for everyone" is having a negative impact on "early adopters" of new high bandwidth products and services... i.e. It states that for 2007 changes will be made to accomodate new higer demands applications, but some of us are already doing the things that will become commonplace in a few years time...

If I want to watch 24hr live streaming from the big brother house this summer it's going to use almost all my bandwidth quota.... (and I pay 39.99) but f9/PN's current planning doesn't allow for legitimate things like this and only gives serious consideration to web browsing and email. The internet is the internet... not just the www.

I've had Big Brother live streaming every year since it started in 2000 and this is the first year where I'm going to have to keep one eye on the bandwidth-meter. This is not the way to go in the future, and I blame BT, not f9/PN.
N/A

but i do blame F9 for they way they've treated us, thats not BT's fault.
N/A

So what you are saying is that by rights, the 2Meg upgrade should have seen a rise in monthly subscription to match the rise in capacity.

But since customers probably wouldn't have stomached such a rise, you have instead set in motion a series of initiatives to keep bandwidth more or less in sync with the pre-2Meg bandwidth usage. ie We can have 2Meg as long as we don't use much more capacity than we did prior to it's introduction. Or to put it another way, line speeds went up, but capacity didn't (yes, yes, I'm sure it did go up, but not in proportion to the speed increase).

Products such as BBPlus, benefit from this model since they are low capacity usage, and this is the target audience for the CBC pricing structure.

Products such as premier -- simply don't.
N/A

what i dont understand is that if i owned my own village on my little part of africa (example) then i could set up a 1GBps infastructure with little cost involved and not worry about bandwidth. why is BT so far behind.....really not much involved in putting things right.
N/A

Hello garytester,

First of all, saying BT are crapp is stating the obvious TBH with you!! secondly, the Koreans were ahead of the game because they had some VERY visionary & forward thinking people in their government many years back. Ontop of that the Korean government & the whole of their society got behined this vision and MASSIVE amounts of Korea's GDP was spent on implementing a vast ultra high speed internet infra-structure thus the Korean's were 10-15 yrs ahead of most other countries.

Further, we in the UK lost the internet & IT rush in the 1990's due to alot of hot air talked about by sucessive governments, a total lack of government commitment and a total lack of vision. And so it was thus left to business's to implement any sort of workable internet infra-structure. Thus enter BT stage left, just be glad we have ANY internet access at all.

**YES! its still a home truth that alot of the problems of service quality, the absymal delays in ADSL fault fixing,etc,etc are definately to be laid at the door of BT purely because they have dominance of the telecoms & internet infra-structure i.e. exchanges, big pipes, major inter continental transits,etc,etc. ISP are forced to have to work with BT as their business partners like it or not.

**YES! F9 can also be accussed IMO of failures too most of which are down to management style & leadership issues, and financial motivations, & profit motivations. The sadest thing is the quality of the CS having gone down in recent years as the user base increased. And my other criticism is the absymal lack of clear & timely communications with customers.

Ivan
N/A

when u put it like that its not even BT's fault, relates back to the government, i hate our gov. we need a revolution. less money on offensive things but on industry, like japan does.
N/A

Garytester,

The global world order is currently in the process of change, the USA will nolonger be the biggest power in the world eventually. The countries to watch are definately China & India because they have massive consumer markets but are powerful because they have such vast numbers of cheap labour. People in these countries want the kinds of lifestyles & consumer goods & services we have taken for granted for years.

The UK is already being left behined and unless things change a great deal the consiquences are daunting IMO.

**Blair & Brown havent shown any real concern for major IT services or infra structure investments in this country since they came into government. Plus the government hasnt even got its own portal off the ground, its massively over budget and still doesnt work very well. The NHS IT network is also mired in over spend and delays despite the 6billion pound price tag and 5yr rollout. No we just seem to have a poor track record when it comes to big IT or quality large scale systems in the country, sadly others do it better than us.

Ivan
N/A

Well,

I am glad all you boys and gals are playing along nicely :p :lol:

There is a post on PN which is rather interesting and I thought that you should also benefit from this.

This is a article following a whistle blowers report by Tim Thorne. Tim is an Ex-Plusnet/F9 Networks engineer.

Regards,
N/A

if china did take over the world i dont think it would that bad.... we would have a british communist party ..... wouldnt be bad cas they wouldnt get away with it over here. 1GB for everyone :roll:
N/A

Hi garytester,

I hate to mention the obvious but there is already a british communist party!!

Ivan
N/A

Yep,

And for some reason they seem to think that you are able to have 2 Prime Ministers Huh
N/A

Hi garytester,

I hate to mention the obvious but there is already a british communist party!!

Ivan

Yep,

And for some reason they seem to think that you are able to have 2 Prime Ministers Huh

1) What i ment was that they would be put in power, labour removed for example.

2) 2 are better than 1 Wink
N/A

2) 2 are better than 1 Wink

Unless their names happened to be Tony Blair and Gordon Brown perhaps Huh :lol: