cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnections

N/A

Disconnections

Hello, can anyone make any suggestions re. the following problem, please?

Since late April I have been subject to a number of broadband disconnections (though the Internet light on my Netgear DG834G v2 stays on). The only way to get a reconnection is to power down the Netgear, wait at least 40 seconds and power it up again.

Though the disconnections occur randomly, they seem to be more frequent during normal working hours (e.g. four times this morning) than outside them (e.g. once only every 36 hours during the bank-holiday weekend). All the equpment is located at my home in a village some three miles from the local exchange, and there seems to be no obvious external electrical equpment in the vicinity that might have any impact. The making and receiving of telephone calls seems to have no effect either.

F9 Tech support have as yet not come up with a solution. They have twice tested the line, but this of course does not help in the case of an intermittent fault. Whilst I am being invited to let Tech Support escalate the problem to BT (which admittedly is a logical next step), I am also being invited to be aware that I may be liable for a BT call-out charge. My initial reaction is that if I have to start paying BT to restore my broadband service, I would rather ask BT to provide the entire service --- more expensive perhaps, but at least I would then be having to deal with only one company rather than two.

Robin
5 REPLIES
N/A

Disconnections

Is anyone locally working from home, or use their shed/ garage as a workshop? I only ask because I used to have these random disconnections at Christmas from 4pm until 11pm. Many times of an evening I just switched off the PC and found something else to do. I found out it was a near neighbour's (about 100 feet away) Christmas lights causing the trouble. Although it is a little early for Christmas, someone could have an improperly shielded piece of equipment nearby.

The only other time I get random diconnects is during bad weather when the cable joints get wet (allegedly), then start drying out. It doesn't sound like that is the problem as the weather has been pretty good recently and shouldn't really be a factor.

Mark
francoise-hardy
Grafter

Disconnections

Hi Robin,
I have had a similar problem since Christmas! Mine is mainly between 2100 and 2200. All I can say is that like you I didn't want a bill from bt. So, I checked and double checked connections into master socket. Was fortunate enough to borrow another router/modem so as to prove my set-up was ok, which it was. I kept screen dump logs of router stats which showed that during problem time the bt line signal/noise was dropping rapidly. Then I arranged (through f9) for bt to call. The engineer arrived on time (1030am), listened to what I said, viewed my logs, performed his tests which proved there was no problem with my equipment. He reckoned there is some dodgy aluminium cable nearby. As it was not tested when my fault is most apparent, it was a 'no fault found'. I was NOT charged.
So, the net result is:
No problem with my setup. Fault continues as before. BT are unlikely to replace the cable. I have been offered a reduction in speed from current 2MBPS down to 1MBPS to see if things improve.
This I put on hold. Then, later on, f9 informed me by mailshot e-mail that 8MBPS dslmax was coming. As even 2MBPS is dodgy at times, I used f9 portal to 'opt-out' of upgrade for the time being.
So, to summarise, MAKE SURE there is no defective/loose/non-standard connection in your btsocket to modem installation. If there is, bt are entitled to charge YOU to repair this. If all is well, then bt SHOULD NOT charge you for fault investigation. But, possibly in miniscule print, there is a get out clause! Keep all copies of e-mails etc just in case you have problems in the future.
Try a google search on your router type to see if you can find access to hidden menus where you can monitor signal/noise on your connection. My Belkin router has quite a few hidden menus that I discovered via google. It does take a little patience though. But, now found, they are saved as 'favourites' in IE, and can quickly be called up to show what is happening to my connection. Wishing you every success,
robinh
BTW, there are a lot of hepful people in these forums, I certainly have appreciated their support these last few months.
N/A

Disconnections

BT are responsible for the cable to your property and the master socket and to get these checked there is no charge.

Check your modem direct into the master socket if this proves the same fault then it is up to BT to rectify the problem.

Trouble is getting BT to attend.

I have the same problem of disconnections and have been reporting this since May 1st. BT came and checked my system seeing that I did not have a master socket ( the BT wiring is over 35 years old) BT installed a master socket and I was asked to test the new socket but the engineer thought it maybe the cable from the pole to the master socket.

The problem still continued so I reported this to f9, they arranged for a BT engineer to call and rectify the problem and gave me a choice of times, I chose a specific time, took time off work, but no BT engineer arrived. I received the following e-mail from f9

BT have advised that they have corrected a fault on the line when the engineer visited you. Please can you reset your equipment and test the connection plugging your modem/router into the master socket with all other devices disconnected and get back to us if the problem is still evident? Please can you respond to us within 5 days as if you do not then the fault is likely to have timed out with BT. This will then require us to raise a new fault case which in turn will delay getting the problem investigation.

I have assured f9 that BT, who state they have corrected the fault on a recent visit did not visit, this was reported on the 30th May and to-date I have had no response even though I have asked for proof of visit.

So just make sure that you have checked all the problems locally then do not hesitate to get BT to check the problem and try to discuss with the BT engineer what their problem is if you get a BT engineer to attend.
N/A

Disconnections

As I advised in a different post with BT they have said to us some work has been carried out I did look at the fault and was unable to confirm if they had sent an engineer to your actual property but rather to the exchange.

But in most cases BT will only send engineers out if there are the only option left after they have done tests them self’s on your line, If they feel that the problem is the line its self they will come out and this is were we make the appointment.

In most cases the engineers visit goes through without any problems there are cases or late or engineers not turning up and we do everything we can to help arrange a new appointment.
Just to confirm if your line is at fault then its is BT's responsibility to fix this and you would not be charged anything you are only charged a possible fee if the fault was down to the internal wiring this is any extension or cable after the master socket
N/A

Re: Disconnections

Hello, can anyone make any suggestions re. the following problem, please?

Since late April I have been subject to a number of broadband disconnections (though the Internet light on my Netgear DG834G v2 stays on). The only way to get a reconnection is to power down the Netgear, wait at least 40 seconds and power it up again.

Until recently I too had problems similar to the ones that you describe, how every I never seemed to have a problem with my Netgear box if I was using my Mac. After some time of trying to get to the bottom of the problem I finally uninstalled ZoneAlarm and have not had a problem since. I’m still at a loss to explain why/how ZoneAlarm could upset my Netgear box but there you go.