cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnections - you want my agreement to paying a charge?

N/A

I had a 'flurry' of disconnections for the last hour approx. every minute or so although it seems to have settled down again.

I was going to raise a ticket to ask if there was a problem - but it would appear that before I do so I have to agree to the possibility of an admin charge being levied.

Is this a new income stream that has been identified?

I pay over the top (£21.99) for a 512K connection that has never carried more than 5Gig in a month and now I need to agree to the possibility of being charged if I raise a ticket?
12 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

This is not a new income stream, this is due to changes with the way BT apply aborted visit charges.

If we report a fault to BT and the fault is found to be with your equipment they charge us £46+VAT, which we then pass on to you.

It is important to rule out any equipment problems so if it is at all possible please try alternative equipment and see if the problem remains.

If you have a friend/family member with ADSL you should be able to borrow such equipment from them.
N/A

There is no way that PN will charge you for raising a ticket.
The only way that you will be charged currently is if you go all the way through the process, and demand the attendance at your home of a BT engineer, only for him (or her) to find that the reason for your problem is down to you.
The good news is that PN staff are pretty good at working most things out, and would only refer a problem to BT as a last resort.
Also we all like to think we are pretty helpful, so never be afraid to ask for help.

You pay already for PN support, and the rest of us help because we can (collectively - normally - if you see what I mean.... Wink )
N/A

There is no way that PN will charge you for raising a ticket.

I know that really, I speak tongue in cheek and p'd off because I can't find a way to just raise a ticket saying -

"I'm having constant disconnections tonight - when you've got a mo. please check and see if you can see what the problem is"

I just want a quick and easy way to ask Support a question Please.

(2 more disconnects while I was trying to submit this)
N/A

Have you tried the contact us tool?
Go for the 'avoids wizard' route, and you can quickly jot down what your problem is.
Trouble is, because you couldn't be bothered (meant colloquially rather than offensively) with the wizard, which seperates queries by category for CS, your query goes to the bottom (ish) of the pile.
So might be quicker for you to type it without the wizard, but I reckon it'll take longer to get a response.....
N/A

This is not a new income stream, this is due to changes with the way BT apply aborted visit charges.

If we report a fault to BT and the fault is found to be with your equipment they charge us £46+VAT, which we then pass on to you.

It is important to rule out any equipment problems so if it is at all possible please try alternative equipment and see if the problem remains.

If you have a friend/family member with ADSL you should be able to borrow such equipment from them.

Is it easier for you to look at a log than it is for me to trek off and try to find another router to borrow then re-configure it and try it out - I think it probably is.
N/A

Have you tried the contact us tool?

Yes - that was what I was referring to. Before you can progress through it you agree to the possibility of paying an admin charge. I stopped at that point.

It may well be that I have missed an option on the wizard and thus not seen a more direct route but being a relatively literate and capable person that's more of a reflection on the clarity of the wizard I think Smiley
N/A

And as a matter of interest between disconnects I did a speed test on ADSLGuide -

Downstream 40 Kbps (5.0 KB/sec) 43 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 245 Kbps (30.6 KB/sec) 264 Kbps (inc. overheads)
N/A

The charges for BT checking for faults where there are none are included in the T's and C's anyhow, so really you have already agreed Wink
N/A

The charges for BT checking for faults where there are none are included in the T's and C's anyhow, so really you have already agreed Wink

An excellent point and if what I was being asked to agree to was "Any BT charges that might be incurred", then that would be fine.

The phrase "Admin charges" is conveniently none specific though.

Anyway whatever the problem was seem to have 'gone away' at least for the time being anyway.

My neighbour and I have over the last few months both suffered loss of telephone (voice) and adsl connectivity at different times. It is bye the bye strange how you can for instance lose voice connections but yet still have a working adsl connection.
N/A

Downstream 229 Kbps (28.6 KB/sec) 247 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 244 Kbps (30.5 KB/sec) 263 Kbps (inc. overheads)

NOTE: Your downstream speed result is very low for the type of connection specified (ADSL/RADSL, 512Kbps). We strongly recommend that you check your Internet connection is not being used elsewhere during the test and/or contact your ISP to resolve speed issues you may be experiencing.

Not as slow as it was last night but ADSLGuide don't think it's good enough.
N/A

Having experienced a problem with our connection a few weeks ago, I raised a ticket. We were advised to check this and that and everything else and in the end, the fault had to be referred to BT. I *knew* there was a problem (the first since being with Plus) and was told that BT may charge if no fault was found.

Tests were carried out and hey presto, BT report no problem. Plus advised me and I confirmed what was still happening and they referred it straight back to BT. I then get informed, surprise, surprise, that BT *did* find the fault and fixed it. No problems since Smiley

I think, to be fair, Plus persisted with BT until they did locate the fault and thereby saved me being charge so I am grateful.
N/A

My neighbour and I are both with +Net. Our phone lines both go through the same pole and for a long time we have had intermittent problems but almost always on the voice side of things. We've both had several days of loss of service although in my case the last time the phone wasn't working, my ADSL connection was still OK. This is not unusual apparently.

It causes me intense irritation that I have problems caused by infrastructure that BT have put in (using noggypod sub-contractors) that is unreliable.

I look for a little bit of help in trouble shooting a problem and the main consideration appears to be that I agree to pay.