cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnections since line speed changed to 2mb

N/A

Hi...can anyone please help...has this happened to them..or happeningHuh
Internet connection has worked fine and was upto 17:30 on monday night at which point we powered of and went out. On returning line light whould not come on the modem so i rebooted it at which point was able to connect but noticed it was now connecting at 2.2mbps.

After only a few minutes was disconnected and took several attempts to get logged back in but sometimes i cannot even get a page to fully load, at times loading slower than my old 56k connection and then get disconneted again.
This is still happening , i have logged a query but i am only able to check this a work as i cannot get force9 page before being disconnected

see below replies to questions asked by support team

1. Does the loss of connection occur only at certain times of the day or is it continuous? If only at certain times, please state when. ALL THE TIME
2. How long has the problem been occurring for and when did it start? STARTED MONDAY 17:30 and SINCE CONNECTING AT 2.2 MPS

3. What are you doing at the time of the fault - e.g. downloading large files, or does it only drop when idle? JUST BROWSING

4. When you lose connection is sync lost on the modem/router - i.e. does the ADSL link light start flashing or does it remain solid green? SOMETIMES IT STAYS ON, OTHER TIMESIMES IT FLASHES OR GOES OFF COMPLTELY(when THIS HAPPENS MODEM GOES INTO TRAINING OR NO LINE)

5. Does you have any other equipment on the line that may affect service, such as a fax machine and is the PSTN (voice) service OK? NO

6. Please connect your modem/router to the master socket, leaving all other equipment disconnected and see if the problem still happens. HAVE TRIED THAT STILL SAME

7. Has another modem/router been tested on your line, or have you tested your modem/router on a line known to be working? NO DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO ANOTHER ONE AND DON’T WANT TO BUY A NEW ONE FOR NO REASON

8. Has the micro filter being changed to prove if it is a problem? SWAPPED WITH ANOTHER STILL SAME PROBLEM

9. Are you on a particular website when the connection drops? NO

10. Is the session actually disconnecting (requiring you to login again), or is it degrading to almost nothing (session stays up, but hardly usable)? AFTER CONNECTING AND OPENING A PAGE , WHICH SOMETIMES OPENS BUT VERY SLOWLY BUT AFTER A FEW MINUTES DISCONNECTS COMPLETLY

11. Can you reconnect again straight away, or do you have to reboot? TAKES SEVERAL ATTEMPTS TO CONNECT AGAIN, COMES UP WITH VERYFIYING USERNAME & PASSWORD THEN IS UNABLE TO ESTABLISH CONNECTION, THEN I TRY AGAIN AND IT CONNECTS

12. Do you use any other protocols and applications other than Web-browser, email and FTP? NO

13. Do you get an error code when you log on again? HAVE HAD MAY DIFFERENT ONES, DID NOT MAKE A NOTE OF THEM …671 WAS ONE…MOST OF THEM WERE NO RESPONSE FROM REMOTE, TIMEDOUT

14. Have filters been added to all used points? YES

15. Is there an alarm system on the property which utilises the phone line? NO

16. Have you anything else connected to your PC besides the modem/router? NO
7 REPLIES
N/A

Could be that you are on the margin for 2mb and as a result your line has become unstable. I have similar problems (although not as bad as yours) since my manual upgrade to 1mb. My disconnections areacceptable to me as I do not spend a lot of time online downloading, yest it can be annoying sometimes though.

What is the weather like in your neck of the woods? I find that if we have a lot of rain (like today) or a really hot summers day then my line drops more often.

If your connection is still so degraded that it can't be used, then I believe BT will then return your line to the previous capability FOC, although I also believe that if you want to upgrade to 1mb you will need to pay the charge. Not sure if that is correct,but i'm sure someone from cs will correct me.

Regards

Mark
N/A

Hi

Had the same problem but started before my upgrade....how long has your upgrade been because for a week after I was upgraded I had problems with no SYN at times not just been disconnected..

In the end I phoned BT my self because there was and still i noise on my line but at least it was an excuse....

see http://portal.f9.net.uk/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5502&highlight=
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

@davidscott,

It does sound like your line may be bordering the limits for 2MB. What modem/router are you using? There is a possibility that you may be able to get your line figures from this.

We have received the answers to your questions and our faults team will be testing your line shortly. Make sure you leave your equipment powered up. Our tests will determine your line figures and identify any obvious fault with your line.

Just to double check: You're not using any extension cabling are you?

If we find a fault we will raise this issue to BT. They can day a couple of days or so to get back to us and even then we may need to perform further diagnostics. Rest assured though we will do everything within our power to get this resolved for you.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

I had real issues as well, it was my linsys router that was the problem.
not sure why but changing to a cheap and cheerful zoom router seemed to do the trick.
N/A

Exactly the same problem as you on a 2MB connection, starting last Monday after switching the router off for the weekend (holiday) Same during the week, then got a new router thursday last, then all

Bought a new router netgear DG834G (top bit of kit!) last Thursday 19th, and that worked fine until this evening (27th Aug), and now the same problem, every 5 minutes or so.

I'm getting my logs emailed to me, but all they say are LCP down etc, no real reason as to the cause, or any stats on the SNR which seems to be jumping all over the place. Is the SNR a cuase of problems?

Let me know how you get on, as I've just re-logged a new ticket with support
N/A

SNR & Disconnections Ivan

Hello mpheath,

Yes! indeed from my experience a noisy phone line can indeed be enough to trip a connection over a critical limit and the result can be disconnection or loss of sync. So yes! SNR can be a problem.

If your router has the ability to log or collect line stats then collect a couple of days and then contact support & send the stats in so F9 can have a look at these. If you dont have logging of line stats then an alternative would be to request a whoosh test on your line to see whats going on.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
The True power of knowledge is when its shared, Your Voice Counts!
N/A

THINGS GO FROM BAD TO WORSE

Hi all...thanks for the replies
Support rang me last week to say the line was fine, even thought i was still getting disconnections every 5 minutes from my pc with is a

ATHLON 2600
2.08 ghz
512 mb ram
XP PRO SP 1

I then connected the modem BINATONE 500 USB directly to my laptop which is
800 mhz
120 mb ram
XP Home

and have HAD NO DISCONNECTIONS, so i thought the best thing to do was to do a full clean install of XP SP2 (even managed to wipe all the data off my 2 nd hard drive in the process so have lost a lot of data).

Got the sytem up and running and then installed the modem again, connected to internet and GUESS WHAT......yes you got it disconnects again after 4 mins.

When connected i have ran a few speed test and all i was getting is 115/123/148/139. When it disconnects the modem drops into training and takes several attempts to connect...recieve errors codes 734 / 718 / 721

i have connected the moden back up to the laptop and i am able to connect to it from my pc and can get speeds of 1339 etc.

i noticed in the settings of the modem on the laptop that the modulation is set to T1.413 even though when i installed i set it to G.DMT as stated by support pages, but even so the connection is fine.

When installing modem to my pc i again changed it in the setup but it to was installed as T1.413

COULD IT BE the modem/drivers Huh
As stated before never had any problems until speed was changed to 2.2 mg

CAN anyone help...PLEASE

David