cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnection and vanishing IP address problems

N/A

I've searched the forums for this problem, and have found some that are sorta kinda similar but nothing identical, so here goes. Apologies if it's been dealt with already elsewhere.

I'm experiencing temporary disconnections on a daily basis. Sometimes they last for seconds and fix themselves, sometimes they don't and nothing short of a reboot will get me connected to the internet again. What happens is this: I lose internet conenctivity, despite the fact that my Binatone ADSL500 modem's sync LED remains staunchly green. When these outages occur I can't open the modem's configuration applet (I get a "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 192.168.1.2" message) or ping it. Additionally, ipconfig reports my PC's IP address as 0.0.0.0, which doesn't sound encouraging. Oh, and the Acquiring Network Address icon appears in the system tray. (I run XP SP2, if that helps.) It's happened (and fixed itself) twice whilst I've been typing this. Any suggestions or sympathy you can offer would be appreciated!
15 REPLIES
N/A

Sounds like the DHCP server on your modem/router is playing up. When your machine aquires a DHCP address it is also given a timeout or lease period, after which it will ask the router for another address.

You can try either increasing the lease time for DHCP clients to infinity or configuring your PC with a static address (type IPCONFIG at the command line, make a note of the numbers it tells you and then type them in manualy under network configuration, remembering to add 50 or so to the last digit of your IP address).
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 18

NB: Previous post was not there when I started typing this! A hard coded IP address is a good pragmatic solution.

If your PC reports an IP address of 0.0.0.0 the the IP coms stack has lost its connection to your router - not a matter of you loosing the ADSL link between the router and PN.

Is this associated with the PC going into a power save mode? In some situations PCs do not re-acquire their IP addresses after power save.

Alternatively it could be something to do with DHCP lease expiry. Do a "ipconfig /all" and look at the lease expriy time. If "now" is more than half way between the lease "obtained" and "Expires" time then either the PC is not managing the lease renewal correctly or the DHCP server (in the router) has either gone to sleep or is otherwise not refreshing the lease. When the expired time is reached, the PC will ditch the current IP address and request a new one. If this is happening a lot, you might find you can reduce the occurance of the problem by increasing the lease time in your DHCP (router) configuration.

Look in the XP system log for messages suggesting that the DHCP lease could not be renewed.

I too have seen my XP platform loose its IP address and a three fingered salute is the only fix.

Hope this helps,
Kevin
N/A

Thanks to you both. I tried the static IP trick yesterday, but without the +50 on the final digit, and when I booted up today I had a solid green sync LED and, according to my modem applet, connectivity, but couldn't brose the internet or download mail. I'll try again with the +50 and see where that gets me.

Poking around in the event log (what a learning curve this is turning out to be!) I found the following from around the time I lost connectivity earlier this evening:

Type = Information, Source = Browser, Description = The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{74C44C1F-DD6E-406E-96D4-BAC51FF494A1} because a master browser was stopped.

and next...

Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 000AE210B598. The IP address being used is 169.254.100.165.

ipconfig tells me I have a 12 hour lease (running from the time my connection last reappeared), and an IP address that certainly isn't 169.254.100.165!

townfield, I agree with you that it's not a PlusNet problem; it doesn't seem related to power save mode, though.
N/A

@townfield,

The OP mentioned the Binatone ADSL500 Modem. I was under the impression that this basically makes use of No-Nat and gives the machine the outside IP address such as 80.229.xxx.xxx as apposed to creating an internal IP address.

The modem mentioned is a usb modem and the problem is the first I have seen. Could it be perhaps a slight fault in the USB A -> B cable or the USB port on the system in its self.
Perhaps try an alternate cable and a different port and see if the problem persists.

How long have you had the modem for? ( Sorry didnt take a note of your join date ).

I dont think it is a DHCP server error as sptodd mentioned as I dont recal the Binatone ADSL 500 Modem coming with any sort of server capability ( as I mentioned above it is a bog standard usb modem such as the BT Voyager 105 ).

Regards,
N/A

Check the IP addrss you have assigned is on the same subnet, basically just making sure the first 3 numbers of it are the same as the address of your router.

Did you also remember to set the DNS servers staticly on the PC, this is also needed as before DHCP set those also, and finally the last thing you need to do is set the address of your modem/router as your default gateway (so your PC knows where to send packets for none local IP's, ie packets to the internet.

HTH.

Edit: Scrub this whole post, did not realise we were dealing with a USB modem here was assuming it was an ethernet modem or router so this info is irrelevant sorry.
N/A

@townfield,

The OP mentioned the Binatone ADSL500 Modem. I was under the impression that this basically makes use of No-Nat and gives the machine the outside IP address such as 80.229.xxx.xxx as apposed to creating an internal IP address.

I've seen those numbers a lot lately!

The modem mentioned is a usb modem and the problem is the first I have seen. Could it be perhaps a slight fault in the USB A -> B cable or the USB port on the system in its self.
Perhaps try an alternate cable and a different port and see if the problem persists.

Will do, thanks.
N/A

Edit: Scrub this whole post, did not realise we were dealing with a USB modem here was assuming it was an ethernet modem or router so this info is irrelevant sorry.

Thanks anyway, though. Cheesy
N/A

Again, for what it's worth, the static IP address (with the same final digit as given by ipconfig; it doesn't seem to like the +50 at all!) worked fine until I unplugged the modem to change USB ports, at which point I had to revert to a dynamically assigned address again.
N/A

How long have you had the modem for? ( Sorry didnt take a note of your join date ).

About 18 months.
N/A

tinyhomecentral, not sure what else to suggest but please can you use the edit button, do not need to post 4 times in a row.
N/A

tinyhomecentral,

When using a USB Modem you dont need to set a static IP to any part of your system. Everything needs to be dynamic in terms of the modem and the IP's as that is your connection.

Setting static and dynamic settings is more for if you are using a router and have a Local Area Network setup in which you can have several computers etc.

Could you try an uninstall perhaps of the modem and its drivers and then a complete brand new install only editing things that are needed such as your username and password to login etc.

This might help a little towards solving the problem also.

Regards,
N/A

When these outages occur I can't open the modem's configuration applet (I get a "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 192.168.1.2" message) or ping it

Sounds like a routing modem with NAT to me. No USB/non NAT modem would have a config page like this.
Community Veteran

I can confirm the Binatone ADSL 500 USB modem has a webbased config if that's what you mean....
N/A

So far I've only experienced similar disconnections very occasionally, so they may not be due to the same reason as the OP, though I also use a USB modem (Voyager 105)

But for what is worth, I accidentally found a way to reconnect straight away WITHOUT having to unplug the modem or reboot (saves a lot of time and hassle):

- in Windows XP go to Start>Admin. tools>Services
- look for DNS Client on the list , right click on it
- click 'Restart'

Once the DNS service has restarted, the modem connects to the PN network at the first try

Smiley