Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnected every 5 mins!!!

channel
Grafter

Could you give some more information?

You have been a member since 2004... something must have changed in your set up recently... (unless you are very patient Wink ). Did you upgrade your line speed? Change router? Do you know the stats the router is giving on your line? (Attenuation, SNR)
32 REPLIES
N/A

Hello, i get disconnected ALL THE TIME!
i have a Belkin ADSL wireless router although my desktop is hard wired to the router.

are there any advanced settings that can keep it on longer or are PN cutting me off if i Idle??

i have checked all the regular settings on my router but cant see anythin.

HELP!!!!

Moderators note by chris (fa55dsl): Accidential duplicate removed
N/A

I've been experiencing disconnections recently too. Last weekend it got so bad I effectively lost connection completely. I raised tickets, etc, but then it mysteriously came back midweek and had been OK until tonight - when I'm experiencing weird disconnects again (though thankfully not as bad as last week).

Best as I can tell it's something that's going on with the Exchanges. Support talked me though the whole connections with phones etc, and I did some reading up to understand the status my router tells me about my line, which supposedly checks out clear in the green but I still get disconnected and sometimes have problems signing back in. BT is doing a lot of work on Exchanges at the moment nationwide. Or there's some line-testing going on. Or something. Whatever the heck they are doing seems to be behind many people's problems, though I doubt they will ever admit anything.

I think that if your problem is not very serious or long-lasting, all you/we can do is grit our teeth until BT has finished their work. Then, if things are not resolved, chase it up.

Not very helpful, I'm sorry. And my bitching at BT is purely my own personal opinion, of course.
N/A

can i just say something here, first i am about to make a post of my own after this one regarding plusnet and what exactly they are upto .

but this subject, iam very good friend of an old age pensioner, who we are both in the same village , and infact only yards away in distance.
we both got out free upgrades on saturday just gone.....

now my friend has a hurrendous probelm and he hasnt infact got round to sorting this out, except for ringing the pathetic cs...you all want to have a stab in the dark at the answer he got to......"iam getting dissconected every few minuted since my upgrade to 2 meg".........yup the now classic....." can you plug your modem into the socket"...

i mean come on credit some of us with some intelligence will you please.
i got the same answer to a completly differant question 2 weeks ago.

anyway back to this problem, plusnet something HAS to be done and NOW, this example (and mine to follow), is clear cut evidence you have a MAJOR problem.

take my friends connection, we both have been with plus net aproaching 4 years now on the p2p 21.99 package 512kps.....now i can tell you exactly how is system has been, hell i set it all up for him..... and you know what....pre saturday....its a question if we have been disconected 4 times all year....and guess what, this poor chap got his upgrade on saturday and he hasnt been able to stay online for more than 5 mins at a time.

and hes had the superb help of try modem in socket.

look plus net this needs sorting out NOW, i can tell you now from his point of view, NOTHING has changed in hardware setup, from pre upgrade and now he keeps having dissconnections.

and we dont have to look far do we on these forums to see many many customers have got the same dam problem.

so can you now give us all some credit and get off ya backsides and actually find out what is wrong, it doesnt take rocket scientists to figure out we aint all morons at setting outrharware up, hell i do it for a living.

so why must we all go on and on and on with plusnet saying test this , test that, look i can tell you now its not our end.

now i will go and ask my question Cheesy
N/A

Exactly the same as me. Look at the correspondence "Sick as a parrot" Problems only since upgrade from 512kps.

I too run a Belkin Router hard wired into computer. Have tried withe the old Binatone 500 and still get the same problem so it can't be the Belkin Router.

PN reverted me to BT Sunday night. Now Tuesday 11-15 still heard nothing from BT. However I have been looking at fault log on BT site and it states the problem is in the home. I daren't go out incase the BT man calls. I don't want him coming along and telling the wife their end is ok and just leaving a bill for £50. I want my moneys worth out of him!

How can the problem be in the home when no hardware has changed in the home. I did all the checks asked by PN.

I am not knocking anyone, but something must be going on with all these complaints that are being logged in the forum. Surely all these people at home can''t all of a sudden after upgrading suffer loss of connection.
Regards
Eddie
N/A

I'd posted this before but I'm only semi-tech savvy and not the greatest at explaining or understanding things, but basically it boils down to this:

A) BT is upgrading exchanges across the country.
B) Customer has connection/disconnection problems.
C) Nothing has changed Customer End. PlusNet is working properly.
D) Therefore, likely problem is line or exchange.

This means that PlusNet has to raise the fault with BT Wholesale. But... BT is behind schedule, its resources are badly stretched, and it has its own problems. Ofcom is watching them closely due to prior target problems and complaints, so BT introduced/enforces procedures that ISPs etc must fulfil before BT looks at the problem. They can use this to reduce work for themselves and claim it is all in the interest of a more efficient response.

Amongst the things that BT Wholesale insists on strict interpretation of how BT's responsibility ends at a home's main socket. When PlusNet speaks to BT, they will be asked that. Therefore, PlusNet absolutely have to asked us to plug it into the main socket, disconnect phones, etc, because unless they have this on record BT Wholesale won't even look at the problem.

There are more detailed discussions on this on the dslreports forums.

If you are tech-savvy enough to do all these connection tests, etc, and you are raising your own ticket, be sure to add this to the ticket so there is a record for the CS guy to see. This gives the poor CS guy a bit more ammo to fight the BT Wholesale fob-off.

Incidentally, I'm not very happy with the service at the moment either. Perfect service for this past year with PlusNet until this month. But I'm not very sure what can be done about it until the nationwide upgrades are done.
Community Veteran

Excellent post which I think sums up the current situation perfectly Cool
N/A

Dropped Connection History

Thanks to all for taking the trouble to describe your problems - things are not quite so bad when you know that your problem is not unique. I have being experiencing constantly dropped connections (ie unusable!) for 16 days now. The same happened for about a week over Christmas 2004 and Christmas 2005 (a bad time!), but because the problem eventually dissapeard in both cases the cause was never properly investigated. My set up has not changed one bit in the 3 years I have had my connection - BT Voyager ADSL Wireless Modem Router into main socket. On the 3 occasions that the fault has occured I have gone through the routine of trying a different ADSL modem, changing filters etc..but the effect is just the same. My problem has been escalated now to BT - to be honest I dislike the 'threat' of the £50 fee for diagnosing the problem as mine, but would be happy to pay it if the problem was finally resolved. I suspect that the fault will, like before, vanish into thin air only to materialise again this Christmas. If I get any information of note - I'll post it here. Regards Chris.
N/A

What gets me is:

If the fault is intermitant and BT check when all is well i.e. without staying and watching the problem. £50 for wasted call out Ta very much. Problem back when he walks out of the door.

It's like the windscreen repair van waiting on the motorway bridges. Is he the one that is throwing the pebblesHuh??

Perhaps Johnessex would like to respond to this one
Regards
Eddie
N/A

2 meg upgrade

well i started this post and guess what we have 1 thing in common, we have all had the 2 meg upgrade recently, since then we have had lines dropping. hell it doesnt take a genius to work this out.....

and as for the excellent post saying well it isnt the customer fault neither PN fault it must be a BT fault... NO OTHER ISP ARE HAVING THIS PROBLEM!!!
2+2=Huh
Community Veteran

I have heard that there are many other ISPs having the same problem.
If your line is losing sync and cutting off then it HAS to be the connection between you and the exchange.
You dont get the sync from Plusnet it come from the DSLAM card in your exchange.
This is why BT have recently started to strictly enforce the limits on lines and refuse to even try 2meg anymore if your loss is over 43dB.
Because they have had that many extra faults being raised and not just Plusnet Customers.
N/A

I had the exact same problem .. and i solved it ....

i didn't put a microfilter on all phone lines that were used... once i did this the connection has been supurb .....

its a simple and common mistake .. so if u havn't done this .. thats prob the reason

Good luck
N/A

To John Essex

As an ex BT grafter what is the situation with intermitant faults as per my quote above. Is it ok for someone to come to your house and say no fault at the moment give us £50 or can BT actually find intermittant faults. Are the men under so much pressure with cut backs they don't have time to ponder on a fault and blaming the customer is the easy way to deplete your work load?
Regards
Eddie

Dont get me wrong I'm not getting at anyone. It Looks to me like Broadband has taken off quicker than anyone could have anticipated and no one can cope with demand. Business says give us your brass and we will sort it out later. Customers only want what they are paying for which is an advertised product and service for a set price!
Community Veteran

BT will certainly raise a charge if they find a fault that is of your own doing. I.e. its down to your internal wiring or your modem / router etc.
This is why Plusnet insist that you perform all the checks that hopefully prove that there is definitely not a fault other than a BT one.

Its PlusNet that request that BT come out after you have done all these checks and I am not aware of anyone being charged for a "Fault Not Found" just because the line happened to be behaving when the engineer arrived.

Note I say I'm not aware of any charges for this but if anyone can prove me wrong then I'm all ears.
martinrowe
Grafter

I'm in the same boat as you lot. Fine for years then ever since the upgrade a month or so ago I am being disconnected every few minutes. During the day it's not so bad, but in the evening and night time its awful and practically unusable.

I hope it's resolved soon.