cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabling of fax-2-email service if not used for 3 months

N/A

I'm pretty disappointed by plusnet, in that they've just disabled my fax number, because it hasn't been used for 3 months. I'd just given out my number to colleagues and to my solicitors where they required me to give them a fax number, and I was foolishly confident in giving out my plusnet fax-2-email number.

I called up the helpdesk to complain (60 minutes wait, though message said there was 10 minute wait), and they basically said tough, please read your terms and condiftions!

I eventually found the relevant section within Annexe 1 "acceptable use policy"

1.2 The Service includes a number of product features. Not all product features are activated as standard. Product features that require Customer activation are subject to reset should they remain unused for 3 months.

I'm very disappointed that PlusNet, disabled my service, and couldn't even manage to send me a warning email, before disbling this account, so I could send a dummy message to myself to keep the service alive

-- z
4 REPLIES
aetos
Grafter

similar T&C exist for the Voip phone service

and PN want to roll out and offer land lines !!!! :?:

Don't use it and loose your number !!! :!: :idea: :!:

:lol:
MArk
N/A

@zorble As PN has explained in the past, sending out a warning would be counter-productive, as there'd be no "expiring" of "unused" numbers.

Annoying for you, I am sure, but using an ISP-specific number means that if you ever wanted to switch, it would no longer be usable, just like using an e-mail address of the form name@user.plus.com (and why people recommend getting your own domain, so you can keep the same mail address whichever ISPs you use in future).

For fax-to-e-mail, I've used eFax.com (they have hidden the "free" 0870 numbers, but PM me, and might be able to give a clue about how I found the option). On lines similar to the BBC mentioning the Radio Times, "other services exist".
N/A

Following on - re www.efax.com - there definitely used to be a link giving one the ability to get a "free" account... ie one with no monthly fees.

The help page (which says - under part 31)

1. eFax Free is a limited account. When you sign up for eFax Free, you are provided with:
+ a non-local number to which you may receive faxes. You cannot send faxes with eFax Free.

Have just checked and going through the signup (which I cancelled, of course) there is now no free option available, even when one chooses to have one of the non-geographic numbers (they offer 0845/ 0870/ 0871). It certainly used to be the case, and I can appreciate that there is little incentive for anyone to pay 7.50 a month (or 75.00 a year)... I didn't stay on the site longer, to check if those were "+VAT" prices, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Perhaps this step is because 0870 and similar numbers are "soon" going to have any revenue share blocked (partly as a result of action by consumers, and the "say no to 0870" types).

I suppose there's a chance that even Plus.Net will scrap their Fax to e-Mail service, or have to charge a monthly fee in future, when this change comes about.

What a shame that such services, ideal for low usage customers, will be wiped out.
N/A

similar T&C exist for the Voip phone service

Yes, put me off, especially as the incoming number is 0845 (which might not work if someone was trying from abroad. It's possible to get a free geographic number from some other services - I've a nice number xxx 2000 6543 with free voicemail which doesn't cost me a penny, and doesn't have any "minimum use" clauses.

I think it is because PN has some agreement for a big block of numbers and want the ability to recycle them so they don't have to ask for 100,000 numbers to be available...

and PN want to roll out and offer land lines !!!! :?:

Like comparing apples with oranges... Phone services are well-established with 20+ years of phone line and call billing from companies other than BT.

Nowadays it should be no problem to buy this off the shelf, and so long as PN doesn't try to go down the same route as some other firms towards a "one bill" solution, it should all be fine.

Don't use it and loose your number !!! :!: :idea: :!:

Well, I saw you ended your post with a smiley, and this could pure fantasy unless some part of the billing process fails at PN Towers and they place a cancellation on a line because of 2 days non-payment (I just hope they have put something in place to cover a customer's line rental for at least 2 weeks, else someone having a direct debit fail while away on holiday might find they really do lose the line, the number they've had for 20 years, and internet access all in one bit of "wrong place, wrong time" where they don't know the DD failed and come back home to start on sorting out the chaos, without any cheap way to phone PN, and no e-mail either, if they don't have an alternative mail address!)