cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct IP games and/or Hamachi unusable at peak times

N/A

I'm trying to connect to other PC's using Hamachi but the ping is about 800-900ms between 5pm and 11.30pm It drops to about 45ms outside these hours. Obviously with these pings Football Manager is unplayable during these hours.

The game uses direct IP or can be connected via a vitual LAN using hamachi which is a P2P LAN client. As it's direct IP either way using the direct IP route or the Hamachi IP it's classed as P2P. I don't want to downlaod torrents at peak hours, could someone from PN look at this please? The game doesn't use a central server it's direct IP only. The FM2007 port no's are 10093 and 10094 TCP & UDP
19 REPLIES
N/A

All if a sudden at 11.05pm the pings have returned to 45ms and teamspeak to 51ms. TS was 1300ms between myself and another PN customer up until 5 mins ago. This isn't just tonight it's EVERY night. What do you intend to do PN?
N/A

Yeah i noticed this and also i find Teamspeak has the same problem. So can this be sorted out as well?
Dean
Grafter

OK Guys.

I currently don't have a clue what either of you are speaking about :-) but will look at Hamachi(??) and TeamSpeak(??) to see what I can find.

Any more information I need to know? before I start to waste my time looking in the wrong direction?

thanks

Dean
Community Veteran

Hey Dean;

Hamachi is some sort of VPN application (I don't use it myself but know someone that does)...
N/A

What did you want to know?

Hamachi is just a program that creates a virtual LAN, so games etc can be played over the internet as if it was on a LAN. Have used it for a couple of years now without any problems. Football manager is an IP - IP only game, but between 5pm and 11pm it's impossible to connect due to the high pings. Does this have anything to do with the P2P throttling? If so can these be filtered out please?

http://www.hamachi.cc/

and Teamspeak is VOIP program similar to ventrilo

http://www.goteamspeak.com/

Three us us are playing FM2007 as we speak and it absolutley fine now, pings between us are about 45ms, earlier they were 800 - 900ms, it's like this every night though.There seems to be a problem with Direct IP connections. Anything else you need to know let me know.
N/A

Because its encrypted it'll be dumped in the bin for closely resembling encrypted p2p traffic.

Don't expect it to work. Plusnet are oversubscribed and refuse to invest in their network other than to squeeze more people onto it. Throttling traffic to dialup speeds seems to be the order of the day.
N/A

The reason I use Hamachi is that the direct IP - IP method is unusable at peak times. I just hope they fix one or the other or it's aquiss for me. I don't think it's unreasonable to want to be able to play a game online that I recently purchased, at peak times, and one that uses very little bandwidth.
shellsong
Grafter

There was I thinking you were talking about a Japanese barbeque! :lol:
N/A

Cheesy Cheesy I'd be better off with a Japanese barbeque at peak times!
Plusnet Alumni (retired) _CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@tywyn

Can you try the direct ip-to-ip with the other plusnet user while your both on different gateways (you can see the gateway as the first hop outside your network in a traceroute).

Re: Teamspeak, who's the server hosted by and what port is in use.
N/A

@neenan

We were both on ag2 last night as I find it better at peak times. He's not online at the moment so I'll try the direct ip method on different gateways later.

I was hosting teamspeak and his ping for a few hours was about 1300ms and then dropped sharply to about 45-50ms at 11pm. He also has a TS server which I tested and my ping was about 290ms.The other persion on my TS server is on Talk Talk ands their ping was about 60ms throughout the evening. My router is set to DMZ but the port used was 8767. Hope this helps.
Plusnet Alumni (retired) _CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Looks like open problem:37361 is the issue.

Try different gateways and let me know how you get on.

Keep that port on the TeamSpeak server Wink
Firejack
Grafter

Plus.net run a Teamspeak server for customers. PM me if you want a channel setup Smiley

I've been doing some retro-gaming with some friends in recent weeks. Because the games are so old there are no servers these days so we've used Hamachi to run a LAN server over the Internet. I've had similar results in the evenings with pings as high as 500ms.
Since Hamachi is a Secure VPN next time I'm going to try setting the port to UDP 500 (IPsec) as Hamachi is random by default. Hopefully Hamachi will get recognised as IPsec VPN traffic and prioritised correctly then.
N/A

I use Hamachi for VPN between home and other sites for remote access and i too now have a ping of 800 to the other PC's in the network using hamachi. Pings direct to their IP address are normal (30 - 50ms). Traffic shaping is obviously throttling hamachi traffic as it is encrypted.

Please look into this plusnet as vpn is very important to some of my work and i will be forced to disconnect/migrate if it is not resolved soon.