cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct Debit or Credit Card?

Richchad
Grafter

Which is best/safest for the subscriber, Direct Debit or Credit Card taking into account the email fiasco recently :shock:
8 REPLIES
jazz
Grafter

You can cancel a direct debit with your bank. If you give continuous credit aurthority via a credit card then only the payee can cancel it - you can only ask them to take action. On this basis I would think it is generally easier to cancel bank items than credit card items. (I suspect most people also have less money in their bank accounts than they have in credit value on their credit card when it comes to what can get pinched!!)
Community Veteran

Direct debit; for small regular payments (less then £100)
The direct debit guarantee, provides protection and puts you in control.

Credit card; for one off payments. Over £100 makes the credit card company liable for any issues. Do not use for continuous continuous payments, as you can not cancel them, and payments will even be taken after you close the account.

Chilly
Richchad
Grafter

Hmmmm I am paying by credit card at the moment, seems like I should switch to a Direct Debit, if I complete the direct debit details in 'my account/payment details' how do I cancel my credit card details so I don't pay twice :shock:
Liam
Grafter

Once your Direct Debit becomes active, we will automatically bill you using this method. You will receive an email once it becomes active. So - you won't end up paying twice!
blowdart
Grafter

Once my DD was setup I asked for my credit card information to be removed and soon enough it wasn't shown under my account.

Except now I'm getting warning messages that my credit card is about to expire. Which is, err, correct.

Which makes me wonder exactly what removal did.
MrToast
Grafter

DD is best for all the above reasons.

In addition the charges that PN pay to process the payment are lower for DD. This can be quite a significant amount compared to what must be available for profit from the lower margin products.

If you value the PN service then I consider thats another good reason to go DD
Liam
Grafter

Once my DD was setup I asked for my credit card information to be removed and soon enough it wasn't shown under my account.

Except now I'm getting warning messages that my credit card is about to expire. Which is, err, correct.

Which makes me wonder exactly what removal did.

I've sorted that for you. In order to reomve the details we replace them with null values. In your case, the expiry date was left intact, even though there was no card number. I've amended that, so the warnings should now stop.
blowdart
Grafter

I've sorted that for you. In order to reomve the details we replace them with null values. In your case, the expiry date was left intact, even though there was no card number. I've amended that, so the warnings should now stop.

Close, but not cigar; now rather than saying the end of this month it's complaining

"Billing! Your credit card will expire on October 31st - please ensure you update your details"